Note to New Members ×

Looking for full set up, alpine board, hardboots, bindings/plates

orob

I've been riding/carving on softies for 10 years and have decided to take the plunge into a hardboot set-up since I'm a fan of big turns at speed and stay out of the park. I love to control on skis and am looking forward to getting going on an alpine board. I'm thinking anything from a 164-172, used - wear a MP29 boot. If anyone has a part or all of a used set-up for sale that would work, I'm all ears. I'll be riding mostly in California at Mammoth and Big Bear with the occasional Tahoe trip. Open to an older race board or an all mountain, feel free to weigh in since I'm a novice. I'm 5/11, 160lbs if that helps for board sizing...

Thanks!

-Rob

Hi Rob, I'm currently selling a Burton Alp 164. for $75.+shipping. The board is in great shape 8.5/10. I can e-mail you pics. It is a great board for begining on. Not too stiff. Closer to an "all Mountain" board with a waist of 21.5 than a "race" board. You can run a little lower angles to make the transition from "softies" to hardboots easier. If you decide down the line that "Alpine" is not for you, your not into it too deep cost wise. Let me know.

P.S. welcome!!!!

Thanks Deadshred! This sounds worth consdidering, how would a board like that stack up against an Oxygen Proton 168 GS Race Board. Would it better to grab a used race board and grow into that, or is that setting myself up for a season of frustration?

The Oxygen may be a better board. But may not be better to start on. Where do you ride? What snow conditions are you looking to ride on? An AMboard may give you a little more snow condition options. But than again I've seen good riders on "race" boards going all over too. A lot is going to depend on your riding progress. I feel boots are the most important part of the puzzle. Uncomfortable feet will lead to a frustrating start. Weigh in cost when starting. If you find alpine is not for you. you won't be in too deep. Good Luck with whatever you go with!!!

Nice, I'll mostly be in California at Mammoth and Tahoe with a few Big Bear weekends tossed in. It will be my only board, but don't want to invest in hardboots, bindings/plates and a 164 only to realize that I should have gone longer and stiffer. That being said, if the 168 race board is going to be a pain in fresh snow and no fun in crowds, then the 164 might be a better choice. How much difference do you think there will be between the two? Please do send pictures - I'm optimusrob (at) gmail

Orb,

I have a set up that might work for you: Burton Coil 172 (it is well used with lots of repairs), TD1s (3 deg and 6 deg cant with purple bumpers), Burton Wind or Fire boots size 29 that need new liners. Prices are very reasonable as the gear was my starter kit in 97. If interested send me an e-mail through BOL.