Note to New Members ×

TD3 info for beginner

JohnnyLo

The TD3's adjust via 0, 3, and 6 degree cant disks that mount between the board and binding top plate. There is a "how to mount" video that would give a good visual for how all that works.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TE1JBBw-8zo?list=PLD500685F6C8181BC" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking for info on td3 step ins. How they differ from the os2 which I have now. I am a beginner so I know I have a little heel and toe lift on my cateks now and was wondering how the td3 are to adjust

just looking for the pros on these bindings. Thanks in advance

john

</SPAN>

John,</SPAN>

I’ve used both and there are plus and minuses to both. Overall I prefer the TD3s.</SPAN>

I had the OS2's when I started. They are easier and harder to tweak all at the same time. When I started I tweaked allot because my knees were hurting and I was having difficulty figuring out why. I live in DC and I didn’t know/see any other carvers who might be able to watch me ride or look at my setup to help. I actually got rid of the OS2s and bought the TD3 SW’s because the possibilities were endless with the OS2s and it was difficult to get back to a previous setting that felt better (measuring with a tooth pick?).</SPAN>

Now I’ve been tweaking to get more comfortable on the board and I long for the ease of the OS2s now that I better understand why I am making a change (sort of). I don’t play with the angles much anymore, but I occasionally like to see what the cant and lift does for me. On the TD3s you have to remove the base plate and the center disk to change lift/cant. I have size 24 boots so I also have to remove the heal block as one of the base plate screws are covered by it. Each cant disc has limited adjustments (compared to full adjustment on the OS2 with 5 screws) and if you are not sure what is going to work for you, you may need to buy/borrow multiple cant discs. Reluctance to buy more plates kept me in a carveable, but unbalanced setting for several seasons. On the plus side, if a change does not work it is much easier to get back to your previous setting than measuring with a tooth pick; and this is huge in my opinion.</SPAN>

The video is good, but try playing with this thing to see what you need to do to change settings for the TD3 (you can hide the base plate to see how you would have to rotate the cant plate). http://www.alpinecarving.com/tmtd2/</SPAN>

I ended up accidentally fixing my knee problem after I bought the TD3s by turning the cant plate the “wrong” way and giving myself a touch of outward cant; turns out I’m a little bow legged.</SPAN>

Chris</SPAN>

John,

I’ve used both and there are plus and minuses to both. Overall I prefer the TD3s.

I had the OS2's when I started. They are easier and harder to tweak all at the same time. When I started I tweaked allot because my knees were hurting and I was having difficulty figuring out why. I live in DC and I didn’t know/see any other carvers who might be able to watch me ride or look at my setup to help. I actually got rid of the OS2s and bought the TD3 SW’s because the possibilities were endless with the OS2s and it was difficult to get back to a previous setting that felt better (measuring with a tooth pick?).

Now I’ve been tweaking to get more comfortable on the board and I long for the ease of the OS2s now that I better understand why I am making a change (sort of). I don’t play with the angles much anymore, but I occasionally like to see what the cant and lift does for me. On the TD3s you have to remove the base plate and the center disk to change lift/cant. I have size 24 boots so I also have to remove the heal block as one of the base plate screws are covered by it. Each cant disc has limited adjustments (compared to full adjustment on the OS2 with 5 screws) and if you are not sure what is going to work for you, you may need to buy/borrow multiple cant discs. Reluctance to buy more plates kept me in a carveable, but unbalanced setting for several seasons. On the plus side, if a change does not work it is much easier to get back to your previous setting than measuring with a tooth pick; and this is huge in my opinion.

The video is good, but try playing with this thing to see what you need to do to change settings for the TD3 (you can hide the base plate to see how you would have to rotate the cant plate). http://www.alpinecarving.com/tmtd2/

I ended up accidentally fixing my knee problem after I bought the TD3s by turning the cant plate the “wrong” way and giving myself a touch of outward cant; turns out I’m a little bow legged.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Love the adjustments on the Os2. But the TD3s seem pretty cool and everyone has nothing but positive things to say about them.

TD3's are soooo easy to set up. Set it and forget it. Catek adjustability is nice but the TD3's have so many options I don't see the need for Cateks.

I saw your post in WTB section looking for Catek parts. You will not have a problem with parts for any bomber products. Bomber customer service is VERY good.

If you do get td3, I have different cant plates that you can try out.

If you want to change the cant and/or lift of the binding to fine tune, the Cateks are worlds nicer to do that. It's 4 screws on the Catek while you need to disassemble most of the TD3s to do that.

However, once you have figured out what makes you happy, I'll take a set of TD3s every time. Of course, you can still buy TD3s and get parts for them IF they ever break.

If you want to change the cant and/or lift of the binding to fine tune, the Cateks are worlds nicer to do that. It's 4 screws on the Catek while you need to disassemble most of the TD3s to do that.

However, once you have figured out what makes you happy, I'll take a set of TD3s every time. Of course, you can still buy TD3s and get parts for them IF they ever break.

Yeah the cateks are super easy to adjust but nothing beats amazing customer service

TD3's are soooo easy to set up. Set it and forget it. Catek adjustability is nice but the TD3's have so many options I don't see the need for Cateks.

I saw your post in WTB section looking for Catek parts. You will not have a problem with parts for any bomber products. Bomber customer service is VERY good.

If you do get td3, I have different cant plates that you can try out.

Erik,

Yeah leaning more toward the td3 going to see if anyone has a pair in the classifieds. Maybe even TD2s, and thank you for the parts I will keep in touch about that

The TD3s are quite easy to adjust, no worries there. You will probably want to experiment with different cant disks. I have a few you can borrow if you need.

Or ride flat if you want to use the rotational / EC technique ( no canting / no lift )

( I suggest everyone tries it and see its not that bad ;)

Nils