Note to New Members ×

Alpine snowboarding hard boots vs. Regular Ski boots

ljw2602

The two main differences are the footprint of the boot, and the ankle action.

Snowboard boots try to minimize the size of the heel/toe so they don't hang over the board and drag in the snow when carving. Take a look at the sole of the heel on a hard snowboard boot, it is further forward then where your heel sits. If you have small feet, or a wide board this might not be an issue if using ski boots.

Ski boots are generally very rigid on the ankle, they don't move at all. I would say most carvers prefer some amount of flex in a boot front to back. As you are push/pull carving, bending your knees and straightening them, you will want your ankle to bend and straighten as well. The "right amount" of flex from a snowboard boot is very dependent on the rider's personal preferences and riding conditions.

Major differences:

DIN toe/heel on ski boots, slanted toe/heel on snowboard boots;

Stiffer sole platform on ski boots;

Ski boots are stiffer sideways.

The rest are half-misconceptions... Not all ski boots are good for snowboard, but the right ones have the good flex for carving/racing applications. Some have the footprint equally small as the snowboard counterparts. Some models require modification to work well carving. Almost all models require modifications in order to be used for all-mountain riding.

Thank you very much!

Then regarding the bindings, are the most of bindings are universal? In other words, a binding will fit all snowboard boots?

I am not sure if I need to buy a binding after I decide my boots or not..

Also, I want to hear about your opinion about step-in bindings vs. regular bindings.

I race on both skis and board and don't always have time to change boots. It's not the best solution for either but the Dalbello Krypton Cross boot does a decent job for both. For boarding I undo the top buckle and loosen the power strap. If I had time to switch boots I'd stick with my Lange RS 130s for ski racing and my Head Stratos Pros for board racing.

Basically, boot/binding combos are interchangeable across the board. When you look at the fine print, some bindings come with two or three different sizes of plates, for smaller and larger boot sizes. Some boots fit better in some bindings than others, but those are details.

Of course, if you go for step-in, you need intec heels for your boots. All boots made in the last 15-17 years or so will accept them.

As for the bail vs. intec question: Both have their merits. With step-in bindings, there is very little play between boot and binding. Many riders will tell you that the lower your angles, the less recommendable step-ins are. Especially on a a wider board with lower angles, some lateral flex will make things easier for you. Racers usually prefer regular bindings for the same reason.

With narrower boards and higher angles, lateral flex is not that much of an issue.

Also, step-ins are more comfortable to get into and out of, but you always need to check if the bolts are properly engaged. Step-ins are harder to get into in steeper terrain.

Personally, I have never really seen the point of step-ins. But that's just me.

Of course, if you go for step-in, you need intec heels for your boots. All boots made in the last 15-17 years or so will accept them.

[pedant]

All snowboard hardboots … will accept them (and I'm not sure there wasn't an issue with intec heels on some models of UPZ). Ski boots will almost certainly not accept intec heels.

[/pedant]

I've been using my work ski boots (Garmont Endorphins) with my SG plank (saves carting my AF700s about), but they aren't terribly comfortable to use (or to wear, but that's a whole 'nother issue). The main issue is not having enough forward lean on the rear foot. They are around 1cm longer, sole-wise, than the AF700s.

All boots made in the last 15-17 years or so will accept them.

Not ALL of the snowboard hard boots... Older Burtons (Reactor, Furnace), Raichles with Vibram soles (Snowboarder, 121, 123?), Nordica, some of the Blax (precessor to Head Stratos), older UPS, etc...

Lots of info on using ski boots for snowboarding, here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?24737-From-SB224s-to-Head-Ski-Race-boots-wow/page2

Heard from a good source that Full Tilts are shorter toe-to-heel than Kryptons, and about the same as Deeluxe snowboard hardboots.

It's splitting hairs, but on a related note, most HP ski boots produced within the last 8 years are 4-8mm shorter in sole length than previous generations (for an equivalent internal volume).

Next to Lange, Full Tilt is our most popular line of ski boots. Until I found my Dalbello Kryptons I was going to go with the Full Tilt Classic. We have a few of last year's models on closeout.

Questions? Call me between 10 and 4 Eastern time at 800.799.5927.