Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Carving Sessions Jan-Feb

Ian M

Hi all,

Most of the locals here in Ottawa are already in on this, but I'll post this in case others are interested and haven't connected with us yet! I've offered to run a weekly carving session at Ski Vorlage every Tuesday night from January 15th to February 19th. Proposed start time is 6:30pm.

I'm a level 2 CASI instructor, with 21 years on carving gear and a passion for teaching :). The sessions will have some structure, but there will be opportunities to explore any questions that attendees have. We have the blessing of the hill to do this, and there is no cost other than your lift ticket.

If you're interested, please send me an email through the forum and I'll add you to the locals email list for all of the details and updates.

Cheers!

Ian :)

• 3 weeks later...

I want to echo Ryan's comments! A big thank0you to Ian who came out, shared his passion and insight with us despite both terrible conditions and his lingering cold.

Can't wait to see everyone next week - what a wicked group of people. Like I said; Ottawa is slowly become a small northern hub for carvers! :)

I am going to say it ... and Ian is going to shoot me down. But I have a board you can borrow; it is an Oxygen Proton and was my first board and JP's first board and neither of us did any harm to ourselves or the board.

I will bring it next Tuesday. I will confirm bindings - not sure I have some, but just in case, let me know if you are goofy or regular.

I'm 5'11" and about 175-180ish pounds. I ride regular. I can carve on softboots pretty well, but also still slide around, depending on how much sleep I got the night before and how aggressive the riders I'm with are. My board has some carbon in it, so I've gotta get aggressive with it.

^ Right, then I highly suggest you don't ride the Proton that Tabby is very kindly offering. It is a noodle and will not support your weight and skill level.

My loaner board would work for you, but it is spoken for during the sessions. Ryan's factory prime is under someone too, who else has a board that might work for Johnny?

I'm pretty sure I can cover the loaner board (but no bindings) for Johny and/or any of the other Tues night riders.....

Currently available.......

182 Nidecker GS 18.5 cm waist/14+m sidecut. no camber , very flexible for size

172 Coiler All Mtn Glass 21.5 waist, 10.5m, 7.7 Stiff!

174 Prior glass 4WD, 21.5 waist 10.5m need sharpening, still has camber but much softer than Coiler AM

165 Oxygen Apex...medium stiff, 20cm waist 11ish sidecut - Tentatively loaned already

160 Burton FP 19cm waist, 9.8m sidecut, stiff and very poppy

159 Rossignol - Ryan to test

158 Heavy Tools, Regular Asym, never ridden, feels stiff

157 Airwalk Force- soft- Ryan to test

specs are off the top of my head and may be a bit off.Lengths are accurate.

I can give these to Phil this weekend and he can bring them Tuesday or they can be picked up in Kanata this week(end).

I have a pair of Raichle 323 in MP29 that Phil is taking for a friend to try but could be available subject to fit.

Maybe one pair of binders if I can put them back together too.

Cheers

//Paul

Great list Paul! You're the man :)

Johnny - based on what you've said, you might be able to ride any of these four:

172 Coiler All Mtn Glass 21.5 waist, 10.5m, 7.7 Stiff!

174 Prior glass 4WD, 21.5 waist 10.5m need sharpening, still has camber but much softer than Coiler AM

165 Oxygen Apex...medium stiff, 20cm waist 11ish sidecut -
Tentatively loaned already

160 Burton FP 19cm waist, 9.8m sidecut, stiff and very poppy

You'll learn faster on a more manageable board though; either the 4WD or the Apex would be my suggestions. Pick stiffer boards for soft snow, and softer boards for hard conditions.

And so the Proton returns to the "to be burned" pile ... are we actually going to do it? Does anyone want to help ... the only way I will stop offering it is if it isn't in my garage!!!

Paul - Enjoy the Donek!

Thank you:biggthump

Am mounting the plate on it tonight....might have to test this Sunday before CO

You'll learn faster on a more manageable board though; either the 4WD or the Apex would be my suggestions. Pick stiffer boards for soft snow, and softer boards for hard conditions.

The Burton and Coiler are stiff....I rode them at 245lbs + gear and found them stiff.

I would 2nd what Ian said the Prior or O2 Apex would be ideal. The Apex is loaned out already for a few weeks though. You are welcome to try the Prior 4WD.

That looks really interesting!! I had dibs on a Volkl 178, but I think that's too much for me right now, plus this one has bindings!

Emailed the seller, will call later if I don't hear from him.

Anyone have any m28-28.5 boots?

Edited by Johnny
Additions

This guys local; http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38839-Boardercross-amp-alpine-snowboards-bindings-amp-boots&highlight=m28+boots

I'd like to make sure the boots fits. Anyone know who that it? I emailed him on the kijiji site.

I had some contact with him regarding the bindings and from what I could tell from our communication, it's all good :D

So I'm getting that Proton 168 tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time finding specs for it. Are they still made by Atomic?

Thanks Hilux, I'll give them a call tonight regarding the boots.

It's either Atomic or Lamar...I believe Atomic dropped out and Lamar picked it up in their later years, not 100%. Regardless, it'll be a good start for you and you'll have something to get you out on the snow with all of us. Gotta start somewhere.

Sir Sams Inn Ski Resort in Haliburton Ont has a boardercross clinic this weekend Jan.19th and race Jan 20th. Ontario Snowboard (AOS) has posted a notice. They usually put on a pretty good event.

That's my home hill. My dad still patrols there. Great place :)