Note to New Members ×

PGS Carezza

Willow 15

That was exciting to watch. I was hollering for Vic Wild. He was riding so well. Took out both Schoch Brothers. Only a small mistake in the semi kept him out of the finals. I liked how the British announcer pronounced his name - "Vic Vild".

Calve's recovery was unreal. And how about Prommegger in the semis clawing back against Benji Karl. Wow.

That was exciting to watch. I was hollering for Vic Wild. He was riding so well. Took out both Schoch Brothers. Only a small mistake in the semi kept him out of the finals. I liked how the British announcer pronounced his name - "Vic Vild".

Calve's recovery was unreal. And how about Prommegger in the semis clawing back against Benji Karl. Wow.

Its best to watch it with the sound off and commentate yourself, as the commentator is clueless. Plus if he wanted to go down that route he should have called him "Wic Vild".

I might apply for the job myself, as there was so much you could talk about. New plate systems, old plate systems, over half the field using 20 year old boots, the amazing racing etc, etc.

Its best to watch it with the sound off and commentate yourself, as the commentator is clueless. Plus if he wanted to go down that route he should have called him "Wic Vild".

I might apply for the job myself, as there was so much you could talk about. New plate systems, old plate systems, over half the field using 20 year old boots, the amazing racing etc, etc.

I was most irritated by the fact that he kept calling Caroline Calve's wins "upsets". Right from the beginning. Dude! Do you know who won that race last year?

Unfortunately I didn´t see the whole race, but the German commentators were a joke! They kept calling Takeuchi "Tamagotchi" and talking about Karl´s board the commentator said, "He rides a Red Bull branded board, but it is still a Kessler, just different graphics". It was really embarrassing. He also said that you can no longer buy any alpine boards and all the racers must order their boards directly from Kessler. At least he knows one brand ;-) ...

Caroline Calve had some amazing carves!

Who can stop Prommegger???

Even though he is commentator for British feed we will assume he was sympathetic with the typical European contingent of riders, most announcers pronounce on the side of error. Vild for wild or Katovice for Katowice... it is how we pronounce w in germanic... Wild has been labeled USA, RUS over the years so there is no real malice here.

The content of the commentary may be an entirely other issue, that was common when FIS began grooming its judges for Olympic stage (720 stalefish for rodeo5, etc).

I had no real problem with the pronunciation of Vic's name. I just thought it was amusing. I'm pretty sure the announcer didn't know the back story. Overall, I thought he did a decent job given that he probably doesn't work a lot of snowboarding events. The only significant criticism is that he should have known that Caroline Calve was the defending champ. Happy to have the sport on TV even if it's Eurosport 2.

Great! They do racing at lake of Karrer in Italy and England has the TV broadcast by British Eurosport.

Even if commentators are clueless and talking about Tamagotchi is riding Red-Bull boards or anything else, it's nice to have live coverage. :o

so much you could talk about. New plate systems, old plate systems

Plate systems on snowboards is not known by public. So it's hard to find a commentator with knowledge about.

You know, plates on a snowboard, thats an absolutly no-go for hardcore-snowboarders. Mainstream is following them. There was once a small hype about Palmer risers and things like that. But they dissapear all now from the shelfs in stores. You wouldn't find carvers riding on the alps with a plate on alpineboards.

Plate systems restrict the performance of a board to a point where you want to go. Thats maybe good for 150m of high easy to ride slope, like on FIS race, for to keep-on speed. But it's not successfull for multiple time doing 2000m of downhill to valley a day. Which means it's more at one single shot, like racers do it in 10 heats of race (winner). Even such World-Cup racers on plates are "comming from ahead", if carving down a tricky section of slope whith a traditional board.

There have been many sytstems on market, like adjustable center spring systems for tuning the flex of your board and anything else. They dissapeard all. Pure boards have jut out.

He also said that you can no longer buy any alpine boards

Isn't it true? Tell me the name of one dozen of stores selling alpine snowboards in Your town. Can we find then a dozen of brands? And again, tell me a dozen of ski selling stores and for sure a dozen of ski-brands too.

Back to topic:

The hill of Karrer (Carezza) seems to give a special run. There was a steeper section, which has shown the system limitation of actual alpineboards. The red course was on the flat (last couple of gates) at least 0.2 seconds up to 0.4 seconds faster than blue course. Did the mixture of snow (artifical & natural snow) take affect?

So what I want to ask: Is there no more main-sponsor on FIS WorldCup now, like LG Electronics last winter?

I saw just one sponsor of local brewery from Meran below that blowup on start.

Plate systems restrict the performance of a board to a point where you want to go. Thats maybe good for 150m of high easy to ride slope, like on FIS race, for to keep-on speed. But it's not successfull for multiple time doing 2000m of downhill to valley a day

I found in riding the same board back to back with and without a plate it was much less tiring and generally easier to ride with the plate.

You make some interesting points but could you further explain some of them?

Plate systems on snowboards is not known by public
Who are the public as I would consider myself one but I know all about plate systems.
Plate systems restrict the performance of a board to a point where you want to go.
Really? Why do racers use them then?
There was a steeper section, which has shown the system limitation of actual alpineboards
What are the limitations you speak of. If you think you cannot use an alpine board on the steep check out the Extreme carving guys.
it's nice to have live coverage
That is something I can definitely agree upon.

Quite some experts here! :)

And interessting points to discuss. Maybe it's the wrong thread for it. But we have time now some weeks for it. Waiting next race of Bad Gastein.

My remaining question: What about main-sponsor on FIS WorldCup ? On all the blow-ups "LG" was tarped by a "Carezza" of Val di Fassa cover. Thats realy a hot thing to know, due to the future of any racing discussions! Future of PGS/PSL musn't stop at Sochi 02/2014

much less tiring and generally easier to ride with the plate

It's great, if You feel comfy on it. Did You ride 2`000m, means 6`500ft at once, no break in continuity? You know, carving-on for 7½ miles, thats quite some vew trenches more, than on ¼ mile hill, like on FIS race. Even if it begins by a triple diamond.

Plate systems restrict the performance of a board to a point where you want to go -> Really? Why do racers use them then?
Just because of the isue I wrote. Stacking up snowboards by plate systems, restrict the performance of a board to that point where they want to go.
What are the limitations you speak of ... Extreme carving guys

You led the way. I didn't know Extreme carving guys are on same equipment like WC riders! I though they carve on traditional boards. Well they do trials with Titanal™ since Years, but no boards now available for public.

Have you ever seen modern carving/race snowboard setup

****** there was once post/question #12 by pokkis which was ereased, why? ******

Good question. Maybe people on the Apls lives behind the dunes of Sahara. I Should double-check my computer desktop photo. What kind of dune is there?

image.php?id=B1FD_50DAE2AF

No KingCrimson, I can't do 6`500ft on this mountain. The peaks give me the limit to do 6`000ft downhill only. And there is a permanent course with gates, like Willow-15 knows it from TV broadcasts. It's prepared daily and open to everyone.

Well pokkis, on Christmas days as I was closing my bindings, next to me I spread out to riders with Black-Pearl's and SG. But maybe I didn't seen them, maybe it was just a Fata Morgana, couldn't it be? You see, maybe some world cup racers (BX & PGS) have no idea how alpine boards can perform. They watch down to the surface of snow from chairlift, just to pull than a wry face. Just maybe. And maybe, if you chatter sometimes to them, at your home, on slope, at boardmakers, or anywhere else, they will confirm you limitations, cons and pros of "modern carving/race snowboards". But maybe you meet boardmakers too and they explain at lunch how "modern carving/race snowboard" works and what for they have been constructed, just maybe. There is not one single must at all for anything above, it's just maybe.

By the way, which is the brand of the winning World Championchip board in Oslo (NOR)? Well, there are two winners, but one brand of them seems to be what? That brand, makes Alpine boards too. There are more brands, like e.g. further developments out of Black-Pearl's. The GS and SL's are available now on 2nd winter for public. Maybe I should post at time pictures and a riding-report. Maby not yet, wouldn't it be on February 2014 a good time?

Good to know pokkis: All Alpine sport activitys are born in the Alps, doesn't matter if for summertime or wintertime. That's why we talk from Alpine snowboarding and not from Rock-Mountain-, or even Nordic snowboarding. There can be some variety tasks, which are not well known outside the Alps. They runs without any live-TV coverage to England and give poor internet informations. So did You have any ideas about Kessler's before 2006, maybe 2002, around 1998, ahm ... or maybe some Years earlier ?

Just because of the isue I wrote. Stacking up snowboards by plate systems, restrict the performance of a board to that point where they want to go.

What do you mean stacking up? Why does this restrict performance?

You led the way. I didn't know Extreme carving guys are on same equipment like WC riders! I though they carve on traditional boards. Well they do trials with Titanal� since Years, but no boards now available for public.

I maybe gave a bad example. I will use myself instead, I can ride my modern race board (SG) anywhere and on any pitch on the mountain. Hell, its even rideable in powder.

Is that your Kessler in the pic, if it is how do you find the Vist?

All Alpine sport activitys are born in the Alps, doesn't matter if for summertime or wintertime. That's why we talk from Alpine snowboarding and not from Rock-Mountain-, or even Nordic snowboarding. There can be some variety tasks, which are not well known outside the Alps.

Again what are you talking about, it was called Alpine snowboarding back in the day to differentiate between soft and hard boots, not because it was born in the Alps.

They runs without any live-TV coverage to England and give poor internet informations. So did You have any ideas about Kessler's before 2006, maybe 2002, around 1998, ahm ... or maybe some Years earlier ?

You maybe know best because you live in the Alps and I get my information from Eurosport!!

Then again I started riding many, many years ago, started my race career on Safari's, raced against the likes of Jean Nerva and have been riding hardboots ever since.

No alpine equipment available? - snowmatic, I think we can agree that alpine riding is a niche sport, but it is not really a problem to buy equipment.

In my "town" there are two shops which sell a whole range of alpine equipment and you have several online dealers. You want me to name a dozen board brands? Ok - SG, Kessler, Oxess, Black Pearl, Sense, Apex, Pure Boarding, F2, Swoard, Virus, Donek, Coiler - do you want me to go on? There are several others.

So saying that you cannot buy alpine boards anymore, is simply not true and misleading.

Sponsors - LG has pulled out of the world cup and it seems that there is a new rule that only the FIS is responsible for sponsors and not the local ski area. This seems to make it more difficult to find places for a world cup race.

Equipment - Of course there are certain limitations for each type of equipment, but I would say that a modern raceboard has a pretty wide area of usage compared to other alpine boards.

About the plates - I am not sure what you are getting at.

.. variety things ...

It's just allright, British explorers are realy welcome on mountains for yonks :) :)

How many hours since You cut some trenches on slope? Come-on, keep pitch on with Your modern race board anywhere on the mountain, even with Vist's or what else on it and not just beside Your computer. Thats highly recommended for to keep in touch of the ball.

we can agree that alpine riding is a niche sport

Maybe You are right. Thats just what I tought on my October window-shopping. At sporting-good store that modern alpine snowboards has just been placed beside some Adidas skeleton boots (Skeleton Sled Racing). You know the ones with the hundreds of thin steel-pins on forefoot. Skeleton boots are perhaps more close to a niche (like hardboots too?), than soccer boots. (Ahm, sorry Willow-15 about that slanderous English, I meant football boots)

but it is not really a problem to buy equipment.

Oh, that's realy cool. You can buy that dozend brands of alpine snowboards in only 2 stores?

Let me seek Your advice. It's Hervis and Eybl? So everyone is able to pick up alpineboards anywhere in Austrian Republic, even at Hervis in Bad Gastein (next race)? Seems commentator was false, telling you can no longer buy any alpine boards!

Online dealers? Yes for sure, they are the trailblazer for to push and compare flex pattern of boards virtualy and virtual boot fitting too.

About the plates - I am not sure what you are getting at.

It's just easy to understand. Riding snowboards with plates is not snowboarding. Please don't call those things snowboards. A snowboard is a board without any things on it. Except bindings for to connect rider to board.

No-one, realy no-one ever was talking about a snowboard for Swingbo, or all that different type of snowskate.

As I wrote above, stacking up snowboards with things is an absolutly no-go for true snowboarders.

There are maybe others ideas on FIS races. But FIS races on alpine snowboards are closer to trial to ride ski with a snowboard, than riding a snowboard.

Sponsors - LG has pulled out of the world cup .... it seems that there is a new rule

Thanks for Your answer. You are the first, concerning about, even if there are no changeable rules on marketing FIS World Cup.

I called FIS headquarter about. It's good to known personal phone number of authorized persons on there. Means one single call for to get the qualified answer. Maybe phone-in is a big step for menship, due to keep informations from experts on internet forums.

Well, FIS Snowboard World Cup is currently running without any title sponsor until end of season. And no representing sponsor too, even if is FIS itself. Both is still leaving open for new sponsorships. Freestyle snowboarding (HP/BA/SS) is the sustainability, SBX and PAR have to draft with. They look forward for better times for Olympic season 2013/14.

Even if it isn't true snowboarding, we can be happy, FIS has the power to continue races, also with missing main sponsor. Like they do on Telemark, Grass-Skiing and Speed-Skiing too, what looks like well known niche sports again.

You see Willow-15 how easy it is, to keep in touch of the ball?

What for there is now a Chunnel and seespeed at time of Jean Nerva?

Close of my pleadings, it's time now for Walkers Shortbread and a cup of tea.

O’Dear, I now realise why you do not use your nationality in your profile. Trolls do not recognise international borders.

Next time you want to be funny with mild xenophobia get your biscuit nationality correct, Walkers are Scottish. In fact do me a favour, next time you see someone from Scotland make sure to call him Scotch.

Time to lay down some carves on my computer, rubbish ones obviously as apparently you need to live in a ski resort to be a good snowboarder. Bye:sleep:

Originally Posted by snowmatic

It's just easy to understand. Riding snowboards with plates is not snowboarding. Please don't call those things snowboards. A snowboard is a board without any things on it. Except bindings for to connect rider to board.

As I wrote above, stacking up snowboards with things is an absolutly no-go for true snowboarders.

then i guess riding skis with "lift plates" or "riser plates" between the ski and the binding is not skiing, and you cant call those things skis either

that makes it very easy to recognize true skiers on the mountain, they are the ones riding equipment from 20 years ago or older

Strong words and negativism around instead of to be discussible? Snowboarding is open-mind fun-sports! Others would thanks for informations I wrote.

Definitely, maybe I see reasons why alpine snowboarding is comming that mutch off by the Youth, if there is such identification around.

In one decade alpine snowboarding was turning from popular to nich sports. There is left now a new decade, which can turn alpine snowboarding from a niche to near-to-death, like this: http://www.skibob.org.uk/

then i guess riding skis with "lift plates" or "riser plates" between the ski and the binding is not skiing

Good comparison! Indeed, riser plates have been first on special skis, not on snowboards. The ski-plate have been in co-invention with carving ski. Riser-plates and lift-plates are out now. You will find dampening-plates or anti-vibration plates yet. Carving ski need complet new movements on slope, you wouldn't found it before at ski-school. We speak from carving technics. On store people buys now carving skis. For sure we can find exceptions. If you buy a worldcup downhill ski (around $900), SCR would be >50m, even Super-G ski commes with an SCR >45m. But generaly anyone on skis on public slopes speaks now from "carving" or "my carver" (-ski), no more from skiing or "my ski"!

That's exact what I ask for on snowboarding too. Maybe snowboards with plates, even them with moving-hinge / FIS race type can have new names like: twinboard, highglider, pushflex, doubledeck, or anything similar.

Again, if anyone feels good and fast with plates on, that's o.k. But I think it's no more a snowboard.

Even with isolating plates, a board turns to another functionality and feeling.

Say me, what's a good name for this things?