Note to New Members ×

converting

Guest itodd

I need some advice. I've never hard-booted before but I can almost guarantee that it's in my blood. Watching the swoard movies gets my adrenaline going big time. I want to buy a board.

I'm not into racing, I want to carve like they do in the swoard movies, perhaps even a little tighter as my mountain (wachusett) is tiny and usually crowded with joeys. Using the entire trail is a scary endevour because everyone seems to like to go straight.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I was thinking about a Madd (mostly because of the rave reviews). I've had a lot of luck with Donek (i own a wide and incline) so I was also thinking about a freecarve from Sean. I've read a lot of material but without experience, it's still difficult to make a decision.

If you have read EC site for specs for board required, board should be widish and have reasonable radius. So go for Sean and ask suitable for your size.

About space required, yes it requires plenty of space but by being early bird you can do some runs and then taking more standard carving later. Swoard works nicely for both, EC and normal carves, as many FC models Sean can offer you :D

But remeber, you need to carve first normal way before you can start to EC and it will take quite lots of work. But it is hell lot of fun :D

First, EC looks very cool, but like someone said in an other thread, it is an advanced technique, so try to carve regularely first, and when you're good, you can try to EC. Trying to EC when starting can give bad habits, like trying to reach for the snow which makes you bend at the waist.

Second, for the board, a Donek Freecarve would be a good starter I think. I never rode one, but I learned on something similar so it is feasable and this board is a board that is good for advanced riders also, so you won't "outgrow" it. Another good option from Donek is the Axis. It is a good carver, but wider than the freecarve and a little more versatile, but like the Freecarve, I never rode it. As for the Madd, I never tried it either, but it is considered an advanced rider board, it is very stiff and you need a good technique to ride it. I don't know if learning on it is a good idea, maybe someone will have something to say on this.

The EC guys are on boards with sidecuts in the 13 meter range. If you go with a shorter sidecut, say 10 meters, you can make righter turns and ride at lower speeds. Donek's Axis line will probably give you a length, width, and sidecut that work well for you.

I have boards with 13m and 10m sidecuts and while EC is easier with 13m, it's do-able with 10m. But if your mountain istoo tight to make good use of a largersidecut (not enough room / not enough speed) then things will probably be easier overall with the smaller sidecut.

This is just food for thought... if you can demo stuff, you can decide for yourself what you really want. Bob's offer is well worth taking!

wow, what a response.

bobdea,

My feet are 9.5. 11s would really be stretching it. I would imagine trying to fit in 11s would effect my overall experience.

I am planning on going up to wachusett wednesday in my softies (i'm going to try to go every wednesday). I'd love to get together to demo a board. what's in your quiver?

Bob Jenney,

I live in Shrewsbury. Do you ever ride at wachusett? Have a pair of boots size 9.5? I'd love to demo the Axis or FC. Hell, I'll drive out to you tuesday night if you can set me up with a demo (board, boots & bindings) for wednesday.

The others,

Thank you for the advice.

Originally posted by itodd

wow, what a response.

bobdea,

My feet are 9.5. 11s would really be stretching it. I would imagine trying to fit in 11s would effect my overall experience.

I am planning on going up to wachusett wednesday in my softies (i'm going to try to go every wednesday). I'd love to get together to demo a board. what's in your quiver?

Bob Jenney,

I live in Shrewsbury. Do you ever ride at wachusett? Have a pair of boots size 9.5? I'd love to demo the Axis or FC. Hell, I'll drive out to you tuesday night if you can set me up with a demo (board, boots & bindings) for wednesday.

The others,

Thank you for the advice.

Go Shrewsbury!!! Um... yea, well I'm way out on the West Coast now, and while I do have a pair of 25.5 boots for sale for $50, I bet the MA crew can find something for you more easily. I thought you mentioned being in Worcester before.

BTW, the Fish is a great board...

lonerider,

are you from shrewsbury? i graduated in '98 from shs. i haven't had the pleasure of riding the fish. if it doesn't sell, i might end up keeping it.

todd

Originally posted by itodd

lonerider,

are you from shrewsbury? i graduated in '98 from shs. i haven't had the pleasure of riding the fish. if it doesn't sell, i might end up keeping it.

todd

I spent many of my summers at my cousins house in Shrewbury (the Hsus) they were class of '89 and'93 at SHS (I'm class of '97 myself, but from a school in New York). I took a summer school class in Math with Mr.Bulger.

if you can get a pair of ski boots I got a deck and bindings for you only catch is that you will be riding it flat with no cant as I don't have any to fit that pair of my bindings

ski boots suck but they will do the job just uncomfortably

but you should be able to get the feel for alpine with them

Bob,

Mike tuned for a world cup champ skier not too long ago if I remember correctly. A buddy of mine raves about his tunes.

I totally understand that you don't lend out your equipment. It's a smart move as I still have friends with some of my equipment from years ago. I'll see what I can do about Thursdays.

lonerider,

Mr. Bulger used to call me "hot toddy". His class was a joke. he was eventually fired for failing to teach. I used to sleep during his "class".

bobdea,

I think I could score some ski boots from a friend. I'll let you know. What's your email? drop me a line: itodd at itodd dot org

todd,

I'm an instructor up at wachusett, usually up there every night of the week. I also have a pair of nordica sbh's size 27.5 laying around in my closet which would probably fit you. drop me an email and let me know when you might make it up there next and I'll see if I can help you out.

-Steve Fleck

sfleck05@hotmail.com