Note to New Members ×

MJ's AWESOME Foody Thread!

Michelle

Flo

Dead yeast? Did it rise at all, and how many times did you let it rise? What flours? Any GF baking I do these days is with mixes, and even the best of them are pretty delicate since they have no gluten to make rubbery bubbles. Bob's Red Mill (http://www.bobsredmill.com/) makes a bread flour mix that works well for cookies (with baking soda to leaven it) and a great (!) cornbread mix (rises well and even bakes well at altitude - a quadruple batch at 4500' last weekend came out perfect). Does anyone distribute the brand in Scotland?

As I remember, the WW/rye/cocoa bread was pretty sturdy stuff, but that just gave one more time to appreciate the flavor.

I don't know why a slow cooker wouldn't work. Two possibilities come to mind:

1) It might not have enough power to bring the dough temperature up fast enough. Even if preheated, the dough will drag the temperature down quite a bit and the small heating element just won't have the poop to do the job (in the US they are used on 15A, 120V receptacles, 1800W max power, versus up to 7000W in a 30" range oven). The moisture in the bread dough has a high specific heat (heat required to raise the temperature to the vapor point) and high latent heat (heat to evaporate it to steam) compared to anything else (the steel, ceramics, etc used in either the cooker or the oven, and the flour in the bread) so it absorbs a lot of energy getting up to 350F. Low power (W) = slow temperature rise.

2) The heating element is probably in the bottom, so nearly all the heat energy that gets into the bread has to go clear through the bread from the bottom, and bread, once baked and dry, is not a good conductor of heat. In fact, if your loaf is truly inedible it might make a good trivet and conversation piece.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been 3 weeks since I've talked about food - you KNOW i've been busy!!

I would think a slow cooker would be hard to make yeasted bread in. A lot of what OhD says seems right. Yeast is so particular! Up here at altitude, it's very difficult to cook with and I have to use a thermometer to test the water to make sure it is exactly 105F before I add the yeast. Even then it doesn't always work.

Easter treat 'huh? Well, traditionally in the south you eat a pork roast (or ham) for easter dinner. Since I no longer eat meat, I have to substitute something "roasted" instead as a main dish, and then sides can be more traditional.

Homey Hearty Lentil Loaf

2 c dry brown lentils, rinsed

1 bay leaf

1 c uncooked fine bulgur wheat

1 c soft whole-wheat bread crumbs

1 egg, beaten (or egg substitute like "egg replacer" or ground flax seed)

1 tbsp ketchup

1 med onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tsp dried thyme

2 tsps dried oregano

1 tsp dried tarragon

salt and freshly ground pepper

3 tbsps tomato paste or sauce

1. Place lentils and bay leaf in a saucepan with 6 cups water. Bring to a oil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft and water has been absorbed, about 45 min

2. Combine bulgur and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 min

3. Preheat oven to 350. Transfer lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add bulgur and remaining ingredients except tomato paste or sauce. Mix well with your hands until thoroughly combined.

4. Pat mixture into a 9 inch loaf pan. Bake for 40 min until firm but not dry. During last minutes of baking, brush top with tomato paste or sauce. Let cool for 15 min. Cut into slices and serve warm.

5. HINT: Omit tomato sauce and top with gravy of choice (like mushroom yum!)

This would make a nice side dish, very spring-like with just a touch of warmth.

A refreshing drink to get ready for summer!

And of course, DESSERT!!!

Check out these Vegan apps that I ran across. I haven't tried to make them yet.

enjoy, and Happy Easter!!

another question - how many of you GUYS eat avocados? Having an argument in which I was told no guys eat avocados.

I eat avocados, especially when they're in season here! If other people don't like them, then all the more for me. Don't tell people they're delicious!

Of course there's guacamole, which I'm sure a lot of guys will have eaten, not necessarily realising what it is.

Thanks for another recipe Michelle. I've never thought of using bulgur wheat in a lentil loaf..hmmm..sounds grand and no doubt will add an edge to the texture

:)

"boys are silly"....Hahaha..

OhD, when ever I type in your handle, it comes up as PhD which I think is more suited to you. A very detailed, logical, scientific and interesting reply you made to my disastrous chocolate loaf:biggthump I will need to read it about 4 times to begin to understand what you said:confused: once I've absorbed things a bit I shall revert.

Must admit I do like a bit of detail in an answer, along with alternatives uses:D

It came out like one of those natural sponges, now come to think of it, I could have used out as a multi joss-stick burner:p

Sun surfer, perhaps you have some tips on ripening avocados? I had one for 3 Weeks, it's still like a rock. I've taken it to work, journeys in my car..it still won't ripen?:rolleyes:

Edited by floBoot

Michelle, ohd you are both right, I think it is difficult to make yeast bread in the slow cooker.

The yeast was fine. Flour was just rye. I wondered if the cocoa powder had affected it. Anyway, I have the slowest cooker ever, it is 160w:p

I'll just stick to the oven, especially as that slow cooker will never generate enough heat. Thanks for comments though:)

I really like the rye bread that I make but I don't think anyone else would unless they have steel teeth, for the crusts:biggthump I'll do a version of this with tons of cocoa powder in...

Have you tried Kamut flour? It is the best wheat flour I have ever tasted.the texture when cooked is different to any other wheat I have tried. Well I just love it..yum...yum!

My internet connection doesn't want to go to bob's site..I'll keep trying.

Edited by floBoot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to deprive you guys for so long! I have a couple of posts on my web site about things I have made the past few months.

This one was a main dish of spicy veggies on a bed of grits! http://www.peakholistichealth.com/blog/2013/07/dinner-from-the-soul

This was a super easy and yummy breakfast http://www.peakholistichealth.com/blog/2013/06/sweet-sweet-breakfast

I'm currently working on a stuffed zucchini for dinner, and will make fudgy beet brownies this week.

anyone else been creative in the kitchen lately?

Fermenting Cultural Revolution in Wyoming!!! Learned how to make kraut this spring, and I'm really loving it. Here is a portrait of a few million of my new friends, happily bubbling along. :) These are a mix of green & red cabbage, carrots, onions, beets, radish, garlic, and the half gallon jar on the far right is Kombucha.

post-6122-141842394509_thumb.jpg

And here is a question for you foodie types - I'm kicking around the idea of building a small commercial kitchen to make kraut. No one seems to be doing this on a small, local kind of scale and there are only a small handful of nationally available products that are live-culture fermented products. Do you think people would buy local kraut? Would you buy local kraut if it were available? I can't tell if I am a pioneer or a fool for wanting to try....

Yeah, I'm thinking farmers markets in summer, but natural/organic grocers and specialty delis year round. Maybe talk some restaurants into using it in some of their specials (one of the local farms already does this with a very high class restaurant in Jackson - those guys do their menu around what is in season each week at Haderlie Farms in Star Valley. It has been awesome for both the farm and restaurant... Maybe I could piggy-back off of that - Kraut from Haderlie cabbage, don't ya know! :D )

And fermenting is wicked easy for the DIY types. I have read instructions that seemed sort of difficult and complicated and required special crocks and rocks, etc.... But here is how I was taught this spring and it's WAY simple:

Chop/shred/grate your veggies. Cabbage is wonderful to start with as it has lots of naturally occurring lacto-bacilli. Cabbage almost always works just fine. (Beets on the other hand can be cantankerous... ;) ) Put your shredded veggies in a nice bowl and add unrefined salt (no iodine as it is antibacterial!) I seem to be using a scant teaspoon per half a cabbage with a few carrots, for instance - you want just slightly salty, about the same as tears. Then massage & squeeze the veggie and salt mixture until quite a bit of juice comes out of the veggies. You're trying to break down the cell walls to let out the moisture they contain. When there is a fair bit of juice, stuff everything in a jar and mash it down until juice covers all the veggies. Leave a bit of room at the top for expansion. Put a lid on LOOSELY. (It will explode if you put it on tight.)

Set it in a warm, but not hot, place out of direct sunlight. (72 degrees is nice - mine works at a range of 55 - 80 degrees.) Mash the veggies down once a day or so, so they are covered with liquid again (they keep bubbling up, and will overflow if you don't mash them down once in awhile.) Depending on how warm the spot is, you can start tasting your kraut after 5 days or so. Let it ferment as long as you want according to your taste buds! If something random grows on top you can skim it off. If the batch smells/tastes bad, throw it in the compost and start over. I've had to do this with a couple batches that were just straight beets. So far, nothing with cabbage has gone bad for me. Enjoy!

post-6122-141842394514_thumb.jpg

Edited by two_ravens
Useless without photos! ;)

TwoRavens,, I think it's a great idea, especially as people becoming more food conscious and are looking for tastier more natural food. Your food looks great, give

a go:)

I make a little fermented veg now and again, and I was using some of the juice from the cabbage as a natural vegan starter for yoghurt. It's quite amazing how things are do connected.

:)

I have been sprouting seeds, beans, grains, lentils for a few years but now i'm going big-time on this front, as I find the prices at shops for organic veg. Very high, even the non organic can be high too, for the amount I try to eat. the nutrition content on sprouts is much higher too:) perhaps you could sell sprouted grains, seeds etc too? It seems along the same line ...?

Michelle the raspberry Flan looks delicious..:biggthump

Below is my total cheat version for dairy and meat eaters. I bought the Flan ready made in the foil, bought clotted cream and strawberries plus the gel topping

.it took me 15 minutes to put together....haha..it went down well (all I got was a strawberry):rolleyes:

post-11592-141842394879_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, can't believe this thread dropped off the edge of the Bomber world! Doesn't anybody eat food in the fall? ;) FloBoot, sprouts are a nice idea and I wouldn't even need a commercial kitchen for that, as they are considered produce rather than a 'high-risk' prepared food. I'm thinking of doing my own sprouts for the chickins this winter too, so I would get a lot of practice at sprouting. Last winter I bought sprouts and leafy greens for them, but that gets expensive. I have a booth at a Fall Harvest Festival tomorrow, selling jewelry, but I will also have a sign up sheet for anyone interested in buying kraut next summer during farmers market season - we'll see how much interest there is out there....

Michael Pollan's "Cooked" is worth reading about fermentation and baking, but the sections on roasting and braising might tempt one to stray from the vegan straight and narrow. Or gross you out. See if you can check it out from a library, just in case...

Tworavens, I wish you well on your venture:)

so i'm eating the same as your chickens...haha...I also eat millet....

What kind of jewellery...start a crafts thread?

OhD, the Heston Blumenthal (spelling?) of bomber..the scientific approach...:biggthump

Here's a pic of my current sprouts..lentils on the top and mung beans underneath...there's a lid that goes on top to help keep heat.

post-11592-141842395651_thumb.jpg

Edited by floBoot

"Heston Blumenthal" - as in "In Search of Total Perfection"? "No, no, no, that ain't me, babe". "In search of a really good time" is more like it. That includes snowsports, food from garden to compost (the long way), travel and a number of other things. I like to try to do a number of things well, but not to let perfection become the enemy of good (to mangle Voltaire). Unless, of course, I'm wiring something...

1375725_10151665839798193_214162799_n.jpgWhite Pass High Camp 9/25

Tworavens did your Harvest Festival sale day go well:biggthump

OhD, yes better to be pretty good at a lot of things than tear ones enjoyment apart by fretting over perfection....your reply made me think about some chap I went out with for 3.5 years...a miserable git he was..always criticizing me for not doing things properly:rolleyes:..as he was a perfectionist but he did suffer with n neurotic things whereas in my world I sailed along quite happily..haha

....ermm back to fun topics like..wow..what a great picture of snow..is that near where you live?

Kieran, I must try the gbr, I think the slow cooker might be low enough in temperature for the 2 day cook? What do you use?

Michelle I am ashamed to day I have not cooked your pumpkin pie,..I'll make sure have a go this year..seeing as they're in season again...:D

Which means snow, snow, snow...

Has anyone done their Christmas cake yet?

Oh here's a pic of my lazy lunch, all raw except potatoes (roasted) and smothered with flax oil and sprinkled with the sprouts...yum, yum...i'm offpost-11592-141842395664_thumb.jpg to eat:)

Edited by floBoot

post-11592-141842395669_thumb.jpeg

n the*Scottish Enlightenment

*the Scots began developing a uniquely practical branch ofhumanism

*to the extent that Voltaire said*""We look to Scotland for all our ideas ofcivilisation

"".[39]

[40]

With a name like voltaire..i thought he was a chef who used weird and wonderful electric current to produce live food:smashfrea

Upon my enlightenment he'sa bit of a rebel of his time:biggthump

Ohd, you could start the really-retro-Voltaire snowboard kit for 13/14, to usurp that really awful onesie of last year....:cool:

To keep on topic meringues for the hair ...

:p

FloBoot, Harvest Festival sale was cold and desperate - only half the usual attendance and everyone was too cold to take their hands out of their pockets to buy anything. Had several people say they looked forward to seeing my work at some upcoming indoor sales... :( Maybe I'll start a "support small businesses" thread on BOL with some photos of my work... :)

OhD, I heard some interviews with Michael Pollen when Cooked came out - haven't picked it up yet, but it sounded very interesting!

And here we have a portrait of two of my favorite things - fresh snow and fresh homemade mayonnaise! :1luvu:

I have not been able to find any commercial mayo that is truly 100% gluten free, but it turns out making it myself is quite easy. And it's a great way to use wonderful eggs from happy free-range chickens. This batch is made with walnut oil, 2 yummy egg yolks, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, a dash of salt and a bit of dill. Yummers!! :1luvu:

post-6122-141842397271_thumb.jpg

p.s. for those wondering about the weather report : 4" of snow on the ground this morning, though I just heard parts of Wyoming got 28" - I'm feeling just a little bit cheated...!

two_ravens, looks awesome! I'll have to give it a try.

I've also heard some great interviews with Michael Pollan about cooked and his 2 previous books haven't let me down. Here he is on The Colbert Report http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/428536/august-19-2013/5-x-five---culture--food.

Made some Walnut-Apple-Squash bread this weekend and couldn't get my boyfriend to stop eating it! He ate one loaf almost instantly. Guess that means it's edible. :)

Shame about the weather twoRavens....walnut mayonnaise sounds and looks delicious:)

Michelle, is that the reason there's no pic of this wonderfully, tastey sounding bread? Tell your man to keep his mitts off next time until you get a pic...:D...naughty, naughty-step:p