Note to New Members ×

MJ's AWESOME Foody Thread!

Michelle

I thought Clinton stealthily signed away the 5th, one new years eve (good timing eh?) Re NDAA= national defence authorisation act where US citizens can be held indefinitely even though they may not have committed a crime but are merely suspected of...this seems to me to be a sneaky way of taking away ones rights?

Perhaps someone knows different?

Yes back to food...I'm eating the cake..:lurk:

You are close.. Clinton did take a away a few rights... but it was Hillary who took the rights away and the person who lost the rights was Bill himself.. poses the question is Bill now a gelding?

eating pumkin bread - freash outa the oven - it is only 300 feet of elvation here so it rose quite nicely.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C5Golfer said "...poses the question is Bill now a gelding..."

you're very brave admitting to...Freudian castration anxiety by projecting onto Bill ...:eek:

...how about you start a thread on the conscious and unconscious mind...:D

talking of horses and this being a food thread, I'm off to have some porridge oats:)

Here's a little something I whipped up tonight with some leftovers and clever thinking. I had some really incredibly spicy orzo that I had to mix with regular orzo just to be able to eat it! Cooled it down with some veggies and pomegranates, and topped it off with mango salsa.

post-49-141842377651_thumb.jpg

If you guys are interested, check out my FB page. I've just put up Day 1 of the 12 days of Christmas food!

https://www.facebook.com/PeakHolisticHealth?ref=hl

I also have a few recipes on my web site http://peakholistichealth.com/recipes.

Michelle, your passion for cooking shines through:biggthump

I will definitely visit your Web site...I'm afraid I don't use FB or twitter, I avoid it like the plague:rolleyes:

I made some bread today ...half rye and half oats, whilst upgrading the OP Sys on my laptop...my old OS was so old quite a few programs wouldn't run on it:o

..I also made a lentil and amaranth seed pate...these are some of my easily mobile foods to take to the slopes...;)

It's been snowing here today, I hope my local slope opens over the next couple of days..:D

post-11592-141842377679_thumb.jpg

Edited by floBoot

floBoot, I'd love to see the recipe for the pate. I have one that is cashews and mushroom, but this one also sounds interesting. I absolutely love lentils!

Here is day 1's recipe, and I post it here because it's a MUST at holiday parties!

Sweet and Spicy Pecans

1 tbsp butter or peanut oil

2 tbsps dark corn syrup (I use honey, brown rice syrup, or agave)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cayenne

2 1/2 c pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 250F. Line rimmed baking tray with aluminum foil

2. Melt butter in saucepan over med heat. Stir in corn syrup, 1 tablespoon water, salt, cinnamon and cayenne. Remove from heat, add nuts and toss to coat. Spread nuts in one layer on tray.

3. Bake 15 min. Stir in nuts, and continue baking, stirring and reversing trays every 15 min until nuts are crisp, 35 to 40 min total. Transfer nuts to large platter to cool.

The sweet n spicy pecans are right up my street..once you start can't stop deliciousness...Hahaha

The pate is just, onion cooked(no oil) with spices,today used:cumin, mixed spice,paprika, garam masala; handful dates, lentils, amaranth seeds, water...cook until thick mass...hand blend until spreadable texture..I also sprinkled ground flax seeds and algae on top, and served with a bitter apple sauce...

The pate and bread in particular were chosen as complementary for the protein but obviously the flax and algae filled the nutrition out even more..the apple sauce was for complementary taste more than anything...:)

post-11592-141842377687_thumb.jpg

Edited by floBoot

Michelle, very similar to your Spicy Pecans:)..done in frying pan with sugar, water n hint of chilli...

Haven't had chocolate for a couple Weeks...gotta' have a fix..mini cakes..

A chocolate purist Willie Harcourt...produces 100% cacao cylinders...not a good pics but I got the logo...the chocolate is very dark, and I used it in the coating of the mini cakes...:D..

...i've only had two cakes and a handful of caramelised almonds..need to lie down..can't breathe...too full-up...:biggthump

...all vegan...

post-11592-141842377862_thumb.jpg

post-11592-141842377863_thumb.jpg

post-11592-141842377865_thumb.jpg

Edited by floBoot

Hi Michelle!

So I looked at your web site a little and out of curiosity, what do you think about Paleo/Primal eating?

Randy, I have done a bit of research on it and it's an interesting way to think about food. I do think it works for some people, but definitely not all. Do you have specific questions, are you thinking about following this type of diet, or do you already?

Michelle, very similar to your Spicy Pecans:)..done in frying pan with sugar, water n hint of chilli...

Haven't had chocolate for a couple Weeks...gotta' have a fix..mini cakes..

A chocolate purist Willie Harcourt...produces 100% cacao cylinders...not a good pics but I got the logo...the chocolate is very dark, and I used it in the coating of the mini cakes...:D..

...i've only had two cakes and a handful of caramelised almonds..need to lie down..can't breathe...too full-up...:biggthump

...all vegan...

These look amazing! I think if you and I got together for cooking, we'd be unstoppable :) Are the mini cakes cupcake-like? What do you use for the topping besides the caco? I haven't heard of this brand, but we have some in the US that is pretty reputable, raw, and delish!

Michelle, your Web site is amazing and very professional:biggthump...I wouldn't trust myself to offer people advice on a holistic diet:rolleyes:...you obviously have the knowhow etc ..:)

Have you been running your business a long time?

I have met Willie he was a speaker at an event I was at,a few years ago..he's an intelligent, quirky and passionate guy...I was having a great conversation with him but didn't know who he was until he went up to speak..:eek:

Anyway he done a Channel 4 TV series about his life and how he came to do what he does now...he owns a chocolate plantation in Venezuela...with trees of the original and rare Criollo bean.

What I think is great about him is being altruistic about a belief and passion, even of it goes against the grain of the masses...he doesn't annihilate the cocoa bean, and turn it into some pile of tosh then try and sell it as chocolate:mad:

You mention raw chocolate, I too am a fan, and currently out of raw cacao powder but still got some raw cacao butter left..it is great as a moisturizer ..just having the lingering aroma of chocolate is heavenly...:p

Anyway, in the meantime, to show I eat more than cakes and sweets:p...I had a chilli, red lentil and tomato soup this evening...:)...no oil added...just: chillies, water, red lentils, tomato puree and Himalayan pink salt...;)

I forgot to say...the cakes are wee mini cup cakes I suppose..they're just little sponges...the topping is: coconut oil, 100% chocolate and icing sugar...TBH....this varies when i'm doing a chocolate cake it differs to make a much more luxurious finish taste-wise that is...as none of my cakes have that perfect asymmetrical look..hahaha

post-11592-141842377879_thumb.jpg

Edited by floBoot

Browsing through this thread, I'm reminded that I used to make a chocolate rye bread with whole-wheat flour and brown sugar. It made fabulous toast! That was a happier time - before my wife discovered that she'd become gluten intolerant and before my metabolism finally grew up. Now I rarely bake with wheat (although I still buy bread for my lunches).

The chocolate rye bread was derived from a shepherds sourdough Dutch-Oven bread recipe. As best I remember, it worked out with 5c ww flour, 5c rye flour, 2c cocoa powder, a stick of butter, 1/2 c molasses or brown sugar and 1t or so of salt. I'd check that against a few cookbook bread recipes, but you can't go too far wrong with that much cocoa! It made two big loaves or one big Dutch Oven full.

BTW - Costco's "Greek" yogurt is pretty good, and it makes excellent starter for homemade yogurt made with non-fat powdered milk. Tasty and very affordable. I'm four generations in from a Costco starter and still getting firmer texture and much less whey than with any other starter I've used. Try using yogurt instead of milk when making chocolate fudge syrup for your ice cream. It also works really well in a tomato-chipotle bisque.

I'm basically trying to distract myself from the fact that I'm lunching at my desk while people with higher standards are reveling in 30" of fresh, sub 20F powder at White Pass (closed yesterday due to the storm). In vain...

OhD, thanks for idea on chocolate bread...I'll definitely try that...especially as I bought a 25kg sack of organic stoneground rye flour...

Rye flour is meant to have a lot less gluten than wheat...can you or your wife not have that at all? What were the initial symptoms to indicate the intolerance?

Shame you're stuck at your desk..not long till week end...:D

I have been eating Paleo for about 1.5 years, and have lost 50 pounds doing so. It was just a curiosity question since you are involved in nutrition.

Randy, I have done a bit of research on it and it's an interesting way to think about food. I do think it works for some people, but definitely not all. Do you have specific questions, are you thinking about following this type of diet, or do you already?

I'm omnivorous. Karen can tolerate a bit of gluten (not afflicted with full-on celiac sprue) but a little too much gives her a variety of gastro-intestinal unpleasantness. Initial symptoms were mostly that - more severe because she didn't know what was setting it off, and it was getting worse. Upchucking a good dinner (often with the sensation that it had been too rich) was fairly common. Low energy (for her) and headachiness too. It took a fairly progressive, holistic doctor who had the wit to have some food allergy screens run to pin it down - this was about 20 years ago.

I'll have to look into the gluten content of rye. I think it's still too high (we don't have any specific numerical threshold for symptoms to manifest) and I'll have to find something with the elastic/binding properties of wheat gluten to make a decent bread. There are a lot more good gluten-free products available nowadays, so maybe I can get some better bases of the labels. Fortunately, she's not badly allergic to much else and, while we're both having to watch the cholesterol it isn't imminently life-threatening. Or so the docs say, in dire tones. Someone may have to pry the Gorgonzola from my cold, dead fingers someday.

I have been eating Paleo for about 1.5 years, and have lost 50 pounds doing so. It was just a curiosity question since you are involved in nutrition.
Awesome that it's working for you! and 50 pounds wow! Why did you decide to do it in the first place? Just curious, were you having some issues or did you read about it somewhere?

Michelle, your Web site is amazing and very professional:biggthump...I wouldn't trust myself to offer people advice on a holistic diet:rolleyes:...you obviously have the knowhow etc ..:)

Thank you! I haven't been at it a long time officially, but I have been studying nutrition for over 5+ years and doing a lot of work on my own, for myself and a few others. It's exciting and I love getting people to feel better!

The soup looks amazing, it's one of my favorite things to cook. And Lentils might just be my fav food, next to Quinoa.

Wee mini cupcakes? HAHA I love it. They look so good!

I made some pumpkin chocolate chip bread over the weekend to give as christmas gifts to my UPS, Fed Ex,and post office people. I also made red velvet cupcakes and chocolate dipped cookie dough balls - all vegan. And all yummy!!!!

I was given some info about Paleo when I joined my CrossFit gym so I read through it and decided to give it a try. I had done the south beach stuff years ago with success, just didn't stick to it for long, so it was a pretty easy transition.

Awesome that it's working for you! and 50 pounds wow! Why did you decide to do it in the first place? Just curious, were you having some issues or did you read about it somewhere?

I just got a book called "the Paleo Solution". I've done a little research on this diet, but I'm interested to get a little more into it. It's definitely not for me, and it wasn't for my friend either, but I know that some people do really well eating this way.

I have done a portion of the south beach diet from time to time, extracting all sugar (even fruit and carbs) from my diet for 2-3 weeks. It's super difficult, but really gets me to stop craving sugar! I have to pay attention to my glucose levels, so it's a good thing for me to do from time to time. Like after the holidays! LOL

• 2 months later...

What do you guys like better for my blog?

Michelle’s Meatiest Meatless Mondays

Michelle’s Marinated Meatless Mondays

Michelle’s Munchy Meatless Mondays

none of the above

another question - how many of you GUYS eat avocados? Having an argument in which I was told no guys eat avocados.

I would go with the Marinated Meatless Mondays. Sounds the most appetizing to me. I love avocados. Never heard the one about guys not eating avocados before. But then again, I also like quiche which has to be one of the more unmanly foods out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Michelle are you going to post an Easter treat:biggthump

OhD, I tried the chocolate rye bread in a 'Dutch oven'....what a complete disaster..Hahaha...what went wrong?...flours of mass destruction...the result was a dangerous weapon...nearly took the bottom of my bin out :eek:

Must admit I didn't know what a Dutch oven was, so I 'start paged' it (eq. to googling but with added extras), and thought my electric slow cooker would do ...logic went askew somehow...a bit like the loaf:smashfrea