Note to New Members ×

what do you do on powder days?

Guest Armon

Originally posted by Gecko

I so wanted to like the Dough Boy that I had but sadly I just didn't like it's feel. I used to love BIG boards that are only good for morning runs before the mountain gets crowded/chopped up. If I hadn't flipped to the darkside (hardboots) I'd likely have bought a Glissade 185 custom narrowed a bit. As it stand the Ice coast gets so little POWDER that the justification for that type of board is nil and there are so many other boards that I do have at least a little bit of justification for:D

well i'd stuck a gold star on your precious nuggets. Dough Boy's HUGE -- 193. excatly what you mean by the "feel" of it, may I ask? Haven't got my hands on one -- minus manufactored it.

I have a Osin 4807 178. I am begging for some snow to break that Boat out. If you have the option of one of these board get it. There is No need to ride 18-22 cm waists in powder, take advantage of the opportunity and do some Floating.

Randy, dont fret about your 4807 vs the undertaker, I had both. The 4807 is a much better board when faced with a mix of loose and packed snow. You can even lay down a trench or 2 on the 4807 in packed snow just dont push on that nose

Originally posted by JoelP

I just picked up a Fish 156, I am 163 lbs so I fit in that range for that length. I having been using Swallowtails for quite some time so this will be exciting to try this board. Can you give me some feedback as to what you are riding for stances and stance width? where you mounted your bindings? I'll be riding my plates, anything you've found about the Fish that will help me find my sweet spot. I'm hoping this will become my Colorado tree board of choice!

The fish still rules here at Wiegele's, although they have a bunch of Prior Kybers and also the Maloho. The main weakness of the Fish is that it's short, so it's not quite so easy as a bigger board in open glaciers. But that's easy terrain anyway, and I haven't had a problem with it.

I use the standard (marked) stance, which is a fraction set back by default. I stick my F2 race plates in there, and move them both inwards (they have about a centimeter of play in the forward-back direction for each insert location). This gives me a slightly narrower stance that Burton would like, but it's still centered where the board is designed to have your weight, if you see what I mean.

I detune my piste 60/60 angles to 50/50. I haven't really tried anything else but this works ok. The board's wide enough anyway.

The Fish simply rules in the trees. I thought it might be a woofta board (for beginners), but it's not and if you can ride trees on a trad board you'll just go so much faster and better on one of these.

In Wiegele's Ive never seen anyone ride two days in a row on a swallowtail, and I think the reason is that there is much tree riding here. The Fish on the other hand, I've never seen anyone pick one up and then give it back...

I have some BS from a year ago on the Fish

here .

Have fun!

I rode today in some well-needed 10 inches of new snow and still snowing. I lowered my angles to 50f/45r on a PureCarve Maverick 175 with TD2's. I really like the 10mm lift on the TD2's but I'm noticing some binding suck on the base of the board now. Could the extra 5mm of lift be giving me enough leverage to cause this deformation as I ride? Or, more likely is the board not holding up to the pressure the binding is able to create on this deck?

Tomorrow morning is supposed to be bringing 16-20 inches new snow. Time for the Undertaker 198 already?

Mark

Guest Randy S.

We've had a meter of snow in the past 24 hours! I've got the 4807 in the back of the truck ready for my morning trip to the hill. The 15 mile trip will likely take me about an hour, assuming little traffic. Yeeha.

First in the liftline this morning. First tracks on several runs including one i've never ridden before.

Nope, didn't get the expected 16 to 20 inches of snow. Only got 13 inches on top of 10 new from the day before. TD2's rock on a freeride board at lower angles. I put my Raichle's in walk mode and it felt too much like softboots. I eventually rode with my rear leg in walk mode and front leg in regular mode.

Another great thing about riding plates on a powder day is when you use the groomers to get to the next pow shots. Superb control by just powering up the tongues a bit and a little less upper body involvement.

Oh, I gotta get up tomorrow morning and do it all again!

Merry Happy New Year's Season 2B Jollie,

Mark

• 1 year later...
I sit at home with a hot toddy and wait for the groomers to get all that nasty fresh snow under control!

(or break out the Oxy178 big ol' tank that I have;))

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: Cascade powder doesn't count as pertains to this discussion.

its a little sticky over there. heh heh

Fresh Pow---softies for sure---if your riding hard boots on those days your only fooling yourself:D --nothing like the freedom!!!

Har de har har har! I've ridden my 178 Nitro pow 1 day total in 3-4 FEET of fresh lite Cascade powder in hardboots and cannot imagine using anything else.(well I could imagine it, but it's too painful to think that way for long!) SWALLOWTAILS rule it!

Guest WC Rider

I ride at Whistler, that means on the peak to creek run you'll see fluffy powder, heavy powder, cement and ice all in the same run all on the same board...

I ride an Alp 171... its a little wider than a rull on race board, but I ride everything on it... partly due to "financial responsibilty" (read broke) and partly to see if I can..

my personal favourite for a run is hitting say Harmony Horseshoe 3, pumping some powder turns and then finding that blue run on the way down to lay out some highspeed carves...

I think I'd prefer to ride crud with my hard setup over a soft one... way more control when hitting large lumps of pow.

Shovel. That's what I end up doing on powder days. Shovel the snow to get the car out of the garage. Drive to work. Shovel the snow to get the lifts working. Watch as my colleagues go up and track all the snow. Sigh. Shovel some more. Watch as the tourists go and track it up some more. Sigh some more. Shovel some more. By lunchtime it's not worth getting anything other than the crud skis out, the slopes are too chopped up to be worth bothering with on a race deck and the backcountry is too far out to get to in an hour. After lunch, shovel some more, then drive home, shovel some more to get the car back in the damn garage, ready to do it all again tomorrow.

Anyone want my job?

Simon

Powder....what's that?

Hailing from the Great State of New Yawk we don't see much of that stuff but on the off chance that we do, I would be breaking out my trusty lil' Prior Khyber....ridden with plates natch. It's very similar to the ever popular Burton Fish.

I just have to throw myself into this.... I fell in love with Lancelot some time ago. I put plates on it and it totally rips - in the powder and above all on everything else aswell. Carves like the Eliminator and the nose flex is just right with the stiff tail.

2312.jpg

Well, I just had 2 days of shovelling.

Luckily, I was asked to go replace some people at the top of the resort while they had lunch, so I got to play as well. Of course, a hot blast 160 SL and hardboots plus 40cm of powder (on the untracked bits) and 40cm of chopped up crud (on the heavily tracked bits) plus a fouled up lateral ligament on my front knee made for some "interesting" moments, but hey. Beats shovelling, at least.

"tempete de neige" tomorrow and Saturday, by all accounts. We'll see what that brings...

Simon