Note to New Members ×

First Car?

Harmless

Well its about that time that i buy my own first car....

Been driving my dads 09 cobalt for some time now and its time for my own wheels.

Just looking for some ideas, some thought on if itll work in snow or just be a total mess.

So far i have my mind set on a 1998 Buick Regal GS? Any Thought? Good/Bad?

Next choice is a 1998 Ranger XLT 4x4

Then on to a 1996 Mustang GT 5 speed, last.

Thanks for any and all input?

My vote is for the truck.

Throw a canopy on it, four studded snow tires and some weight in the back. Good to go!!

Other benefits to a truck. They haul stuff, you seldom are asked to drive allot of people around (couples, kids), keeps the wet gear out of the passenger

compartment.

The Mustang spells TROUBLE :)

Go standard. You will never go back.

That's interesting... I've learned to drive on standard shifter and drove my first 1,000,000km. When I moved to Canada, I switched to automatic and would never go back. Well, except when I go to visit family in Europe and borrow a car... :D

I am not sure where you live exactly, or how the winters are... but the truck with 4wd would be nice, also, if you do not have to carry people around, the truck would be nice. but a manual in a truck will probably be annoying, its not like a sporty car with a short throw.

what about an AWD car or SUV of some sort, a wagon? subaru?

what is your budget?

on the manual part, I would not get a manual car unless it was a truly fast car, and even then, when you get to the real fast stuff, a lot is a dual clutch. I drive a manual right now, and had automatics before this, and my next vehicle, a truck, will be an automatic.

Those are 3 very different vehicles. I think you need to decide what you want in a vehicle. Of those 3, worst in snow will be the Mustang but a good set of snow tires and some sandbags in the back will make it work better than anything with all-seasons.

Personally I wouldn't be shopping for anything Big 3 in that vintage. If you can stand the bland, get an old Corolla, they hardly ever die.

This just made my day because I was going to seriously recommend a supercharged Buick.

My first car is a 95 Riviera which has the series 1 3800 with a blower. The 3800 is a 50 year old engine design, and it's a bit cheesy being a 90* V6, but it's very robust and efficient. If I stay off the pedal, driving between Mammoth and San Diego I get around 26-27 mpg which isn't bad for a 4,000 pound car that will beat a 325i to 60.

Parts are cheap, you can do a lot of fixes yourself. The only thing to be mindful of is the tranny takes a real beating from all the low end torque, and the GM 4t80e isn't the most robust transmission.

I've never had my Riv in the snow, but it's a big heavy car with decent ground clearance and front wheel drive. There's plenty of Buicks around Mammoth too.

I wouldn't race the car because racing your daily driver is ****ting where you eat, but I will say at 3800pro.net there are plenty of people who do just that. 3800 mods are cheap and plentiful thanks to its former role as GM's ubiquitous V6.

I'm a huge Buick enthusiast.. And it's pretty badass to be driving around in Grandma's sleeper.

Skiing Magazine or Ski or some ski magazine actually once had an article on the ultimate ski car, and it was indeed a late-90s Regal GS.

Last thing..Mine was in beautiful shape (it's picked up dents and dings from parking it in a high school parking lot- to be expected) with a spotless and virginal interior. It had 63,000 on the odometer and it cost a little above $4,000. That's not just a good deal, that's normal in the Buick market.

Edited by KingCrimson