Note to New Members ×

Warm Boots and New Member Introduction

bruincounselor

Please help me figure out what boots to buy. Skip to the last paragraphs if the introduction is too long for you:

I’ve been snowboarding off and on for over 20 years. All that time on carving or carving related equipment. My first snowboard was a first year (white) M6 with a three strap Burton binding. I soon realized I needed more support if I was going to keep pushing my speeds. So I upped the ante my second season and got a pair of Megaflex boots –these are the old Burtons with three buckles and plate bindings. My second board was a HoogerAsym GS I got from a small shop. I rode the hell out of the board and eventually did the USASA series in the Midwest, winning a couple of GS races.

Since then I’ve moved all over the place and found less time for riding than I wanted too. Moving to the flattest place on earth hasn’t helped either. I’ve been running an older pair of Reactor boots when it’s warm enough and these funky Nitro/Clicker boots I got when I was working at a ski shop, I dig the Clickers and the boots are relatively stiff and they are WARM. The main reason I went to the clicker setup was that my feet get fricking cold in plastic boots. All my boots are at least 12 seasons old and while not exactly worn out, I know I am running on borrowed time and they will fail on me soon.

I have attached photos of some of the stuff I’ve been running for your pleasure. The ’97 FP167 is a favorite to ride, but it’s really stiff and has old school sidecut - it needs to go fast. I also have a few stiffer freeride boards and a slalom board with the Burton step-in plates on it – no problems with gates popping my bail open.

2012-07-12_22-56-12_927.jpg2012-07-12_22-55-23_708.jpg

I’m 6’4” and run between 225 and 250lb (depending on how much desk time I have to do). I’m a fairly aggressive rider, but am relegated to the short Midwestern hills 99% of the time so I ride lots of “packed powder”in sub-zero conditions.

The question: Is there a hardboot that will keep my feet warm or do I need to try to find a stiff softboot? If I have to go softboot I will, but that means replacing bindings as the clicker doesn’t exist anymore –this added expense makes hardboots cost effective in my mind. I have relatively narrow feet with high insteps, what hardboots can be recommended, if any?

A new board will be in the budget for the following season if that makes you feel any better about my old sticks.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Bruin'

Welcome! I have some good news for you. New boots with moldable liners are nice and warm. Check these out: http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Deeluxe_c_24.html. When you mold them, cut off the toes of 3 extra socks and put those over your toes in addition to your thin riding sock. This creates extra wiggle room in the toe area. Toasty. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi

The question: Is there a hardboot that will keep my feet warm or do I need to try to find a stiff softboot?

As a kid growing up I played a lot of outdoor hockey and froze my feet WAY too many times. As an adult frozen toes in both skates and hardboots is a real issue for me.

I have had a lot of succes with the Hotronic foot warmer products in my hardboots; going out is some SUPER cold weather and staying warm enough to enjoy the hard snow and zero riders on the mountain.

I have an older pair of Hotronic's with the older batteris, I will update to the new batteries this season.

http://www.hotronic.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob

+1 to the Hotronics (or similar) boot heaters. Some people just get cold feet easily. Electronic warmers keep me riding in cold (-30F) weather, mix in a pair of boot gloves and my heels are actually the first thing to get cold in those conditions.

However, I don't use mine at all for warmer days, say where it's 15F or warmer. A good fitting boot & liner should be able to keep your feet comfortable down to around those temperatures.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with someone here, but what they said is what I see - people with cold feet do well with boot heaters. If you get really cold then two sets of batteries are common; if you don't get so cold them the "tea bag" heaters are used by some. I'm assuming after that amount of time you already know about not over-cranking the tightness.

Maybe I just have warm feet, but hard shells seem to be warmer than the standard softies, but perhaps it all depends. If it gets squeaky-snow cold then you're going to have to be careful whatever you're wearing.

My issues with cold are probaly related to my days paddling spring runoff. Walking accross the ice to get to the open river assures cold feet before you even get in the boat, then add in exposure to ice cold water (especially on the hands - even in a dry suit with pogies I had lots of cold exposure). I was working on the house the other day at 40 degrees and my hands started getting cold. Good tip on the hottronics, I'll see how good the new boots are before I pull the trigger on them.

Riding in the midwest I generally wear my Granite Gear mittens - 2 layers of thick fleece inside heavy cordura and leather outer. These are the bees knees for warm hands.