Note to New Members ×

Quick Trip To Sandpoint Idaho

Tempest NOT GTO.
Oh! My parents had a 1969 Tempest for years. It was a tank. I got my hand slammed in the door once as a kid, and I'm surprised it wasn't crushed.

Someone t-boned us once and all it did was send us into the other lane. Hardly any damage and the other car needed a new front end. This thing was a beast.

Nice one Bryan!

Oh! My parents had a 1969 Tempest for years. It was a tank. I got my hand slammed in the door once as a kid, and I'm surprised it wasn't crushed.

Someone t-boned us once and all it did was send us into the other lane. Hardly any damage and the other car needed a new front end. This thing was a beast.

Nice one Bryan!

Lets hope I don't test that!!

Tempest is right, it's on the way home, let's hope it beats the killer thunder storm with xtra large hail to portland :eek:

WV4NW.GIF

god speed Bryan

amazing turnout, 7 carvers for beer & pizza at 2nd Ave. in the middle of the summer in BFI (bum fun idaho) to checkout Bryans new ride (very cool) and Mark Millers new Thirst X7 & x8:biggthump

Edited by b0ardski

Wow!! What a day!! , up at 5am , ride to PDX at 6am, flight at 7am, Spokane at 8am, driven to Sandpoint by broker , arrive at 10am. Check out the ride and take care of the "Business" end. Meet and greet with the NICE crew at 2PM. Beer and Pizza, good times guys. You guys really blew me away. Couldn't believe how many of you showed up!! Thanks for all the NICE hospitality. Start the drive home. Beautiful rolling wheat fields and sunset followed by one hell of a Thunder Storm!! Sure glad the wipers worked well (even the sprayer), about the time I rolled up on the storm I had collected enough bugs on the windscreen to mess a really nice mess.

I couldn't see the road very good and the Tri City area was crazy lightening. I found a covered area and talked to a few locals to see what they had heard. I was afraid I would end up with car that looked like it had been attacked by a flock of ball peen hammers!!!!!!!!

Car ran good , got a little warm just after leaving CDA. Front end wanders a bit more than I would like, but it clipped along at 70 mph no problem once I cleared the storm. Three gas stops later I arrived home at 2am.

Thanks again for a great time guys!! Bryanpost-198-141842369751_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842369736_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184236974_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Good eye Troy!! That is Mt Hood. I was hoping the flight would take us closer but that was it. I took a few photos of the prop, that one caught the Hood between the blades.

I am not sure why it is rotated. It wasn't when I was looking at it in the photos folder. Maybe an auto rotate feature in Windows 8? I will try to fix that.

Thanks again for organizing the get together, you guys are the BEST!!!

The plane was the "Oregon Ducks" paint job.

I consider flying one way as cheating. Just completed a 5000km trip dropping off two vehicles and two motorcycles, returning with a third car to rebuild. Always enjoy a road trip but 20 hr days behinds the wheal are becomming a bit too much. Bryan you haven't mentioned if you were challenged at the stop lights by any punks who wouldn't realize what you had under the hood ! Was the air working ? It looks like the bias ply were upgraded, that would make it ride like a dream. not yank you hand off the wherel like a good set of polyglass tires.

Lowrider, keep in mind I am driving home a 47 year old car that has a gagillion miles on it and I really have no history other than what I have been told.

It started out pretty sweet, driving was easy in a beautiful area, radio up and cruising. Then a big time thunderstorm that had "Large Hail" associated with the warnings. It was getting dark and the temp gauge was bouncing at 210 degrees at times. It was hot and humid and I did run the AC for a while but that wasn't going to help with the engine temps. Didn't run into in any Punks yet. Although I had some guys working near the DMV that made some positive comments. I am fairly sure they were guests of the state on work duty. (yard work on the court house and related buildings) Two guys with heavy tats and said "Nice" and "66 Pontiac" which was close. The other guessed an engine CU in never associated with the Tempest, but they were smiling and I was happy to say "Thanks".

The wheels are 15" instead of 14" which was original. The tires, not quite sure but it rides ok. More soggy than smooth and damp , but it works. I used the AC today and raised the idle a bit, it works but I did see some bubbles in the sight glass. I will check that soon. The nice paint job hides that fact this car was used pretty hard and probably stored in a barn for a few years and not his cosy garage like they led me to believe.

Ditched the Oregon plates and fog lights today. Step one? Done!!!

1000$ to register it in Washington by the way! OUCH!!!!

PS. I considered flying "One Way" simply risky. What if I didn't buy it right? The broker might have left me high and dry in Idaho :) Figured I got BOL friends in the neighbor hood and I am in no hurry. Considered it a worthwhile gamble and an adventure. That is was!!!

Lowrider, keep in mind I am driving home a 47 year old car that has a gagillion miles on it and I really have no history other than what I have been told.

It started out pretty sweet, driving was easy in a beautiful area, radio up and cruising. Then a big time thunderstorm that had "Large Hail" associated with the warnings. It was getting dark and the temp gauge was bouncing at 210 degrees at times. It was hot and humid and I did run the AC for a while but that wasn't going to help with the engine temps. Didn't run into in any Punks yet. Although I had some guys working near the DMV that made some positive comments. I am fairly sure they were guests of the state on work duty. (yard work on the court house and related buildings) Two guys with heavy tats and said "Nice" and "66 Pontiac" which was close. The other guessed an engine CU in never associated with the Tempest, but they were smiling and I was happy to say "Thanks".

The wheels are 15" instead of 14" which was original. The tires, not quite sure but it rides ok. More soggy than smooth and damp , but it works. I used the AC today and raised the idle a bit, it works but I did see some bubbles in the sight glass. I will check that soon. The nice paint job hides that fact this car was used pretty hard and probably stored in a barn for a few years and not his cosy garage like they led me to believe.

Ditched the Oregon plates and fog lights today. Step one? Done!!!

1000$ to register it in Washington by the way! OUCH!!!!

PS. I considered flying "One Way" simply risky. What if I didn't buy it right? The broker might have left me high and dry in Idaho :) Figured I got BOL friends in the neighbor hood and I am in no hurry. Considered it a worthwhile gamble and an adventure. That is was!!!

Nice adventure for sure,especially gratefull when it's sitting in the driveway at home eh ! I've got a 66 olds delta 88, 425 4bbl pillarless 4 door, barn fresh from where i put it 30 years ago. Not sure whose project that may turn out to be. Have fun with the new old wheels.

Just in time for "Cruisin the Gut" in Vancouver , WA . My home town. Did this in my Tempest in the mid to late 70s.

Damn, I sure had a purdy girlfriend back then !!!

Some videos from past events.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xbhpd4eUX1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View from a 775 HP Corvette

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/scjcIiIzxTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty rough video , but nothing like looking past a BLOWER!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uo4BE9dp5nY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Since the road trip to pick up the Pontiac. I have attended Vancouver's "Cruisin The Gut" last Saturday and PIR's Beach's car show and drag race last night.

I am finding that I have allot in common with these old car folks. Good times ahead!! I can't get over how many incredible cars are out there!!!

I was parked next to the nicest 32 Deuce yesterday. It has been a favorite since I was a kid. This is definitely going to help me make it through the summers with a smile on my face!!

I will update with some photos shortly.

Steve, slalom water skiing was a big passion of mine before I started snowboarding. Good fun, nice shots, nice carving!!

• 2 months later...

Just picked up the original engine (326 cu inch) from a barn over in Newberg, Oregon. Original owner says "it should run just fine". It has about 50K on it since a complete overhaul. Not sure I will use it as is, but it is good to have the original motor back. No hurry on this project, winter is almost hear and it can keep. The 400 cu in that is in the car is working "just fine". :)

post-198-14184237292_thumb.jpg