Note to New Members ×

Does or has anyone lived in the South or where they could not snowboard that often

BXFR70

Right now, I live in Pennsylvania, there are ski areas within 15 mins of my house, but I go to another thats like 45 mins away. I probably only ride 20ish days a year if that, and its usually for only a few hours at a time, I get bored, or conditions are not that great.

so, my question is has anyone ever lived somewhere where they could not ride whenever they wanted, but took say 2 7-9 day trips a year out west and maybe a weekend or 2 somewhere else?

I do not know if that would be enough for me, even though its just as much as I ride now days wise, probably more hours, but way better, I do not know if it would be enough? anyone have any experience like this or anything to share?

I am considering going south, if in North Carolina or that general area, riding would be no problem, but Florida would be a little bit of a problem.

thanks in advance

I am considering going south, if in North Carolina or that general area, riding would be no problem, but Florida would be a little bit of a problem.

But for God's sake, don't go south!!!

Being a Possum Pouch native and a boarder of almost 25 years, I can tell you that even on N.C.'s loftiest slopes, snow sport is a very iffy thing - highly dependent on ever-more-fickle Ma Nature - and in the worst of winters nigh on nonexistent. (M. Yellow of this forum will probably dispute that, and let him have at it. Haven't met him yet, but by all accounts he's hardcore and very comfortable with our "white ribbons of death".)

I say all this having boarded Tahoe a good bit, Aspen/Snowmass, Virginia and West Virginia a lot, Maryland and Vermont a little, and your own Seven Springs, too.

To me, there's something downright depressing about riding ice groom at 9:00, corn (if you're lucky) at noon, and slushies by 3:00 - all this in a setting of barren, brown hills. (You're obviously familiar with that scenario in Penna, and if you can live with it, here's to you!)

If you don't live slope-side, the only way to ride "good" conditions down here is to have the freedom, and means, to drop everything on a moment's notice, and travel - often hours - to reach your bliss. And you better do it quick, too!

Then there's summer - hotter, more humid and drought-prone all the time - a seeming contradiction I know, but nonetheless true .

Tarheelia hath its charms, and the OBX wave magnet makes up for a lot, but if you crave the culture and relief of winter's intervention like I do, stay away, young man - stay far, far away...

BB :biggthump

Edited by boarderboy

I resemble that remark. Earlier this season I was super envious of the Donek and Bomber teams hitting A basin and such. Seems like down here in Possum Pouch we had to wait until January before there was enough coverage and then it was all done by the 3rd week of March (sloppy and wet as it was). I placated myself with 2 week(ish) long trips out West to Colorado which helped ease the pain a lot. This year I did a few races which is always a good thing to commit to, as it assures that you get your butt up to the mountain instead of sitting on the sofa reviewing snowpack levels on the web and double-guessing what you should be doing. Two core shots to the gear this year - first year that's happened, but maybe one of my bigger seasons (except for my first where I lived within 2 hours of the Alps).

Now it's all over, and it's 70 degrees, and all I'm doing is watching the classifieds waiting for racers to unload their gear and thinking about kayaking, windsurfing and mountain biking.

The antidote to your issues is to move out West. NC, PA, they aren't much better than one another for snow sports.

yes, I figured NC and PA are really not that much different NC is way higher elevation where the mountains are. I have just been wondering about different areas, where I am currently, there is not a lot of upward mobility as far as jobs go. I could live in VT pretty easily, except, when I have looked, I never found too many jobs.

also, I am into other stuff a bit, including performance boats, so that would be part of it for considering the south, and taking longer trips out west and a weekend or 2 in the east.

I have been to Colorado and Utah a few times, and I never really fell in love with either. Utah/SLC, snow was great, people were friendly, just have not found many jobs, and I am not sure I would want to live there. Colorado, Denver wasn't bad, but sort of a lengthy drive to the mountains, depending where you wanted to go. Also, I did not fall in love with it.

I snowboad, golf, fish, hunt, shoot, boats and cars a little bit. I would not be hunting any where other than our property in PA really, so that doesn't matter a whole lot, but the south would be pretty good for the other stuff, PA is very humid also, so I am used to that.

Timeless61- What do you "do"? What job are you looking for?

I'm a native Floridian and for a decade used to do the drive to NC's mountains for snowboarding. I've lived in Providence, RI for a number of years where I got to visit NE's finest mountains. Now I live in southern Indiana about 50 minutes away from my local bump. Just went to CO for the first time in nearly a decade. My spouse's family in in NC so I've spent some time there over the last 20 years.

My experience tells me if the hill is far away you won't be able to be there much and you won't progress. You'll do other things and that's ok (I'm a surfer, sailor, skater, etc.).

Life's about trade-offs... perfection doesn't exist. That said if my spouse got a job offer in the NE or Boulder or Oregon/Washington I'd start packing tonight.

currently, I issue standby letters of credit for a bank. I have experience here, along with in the wire area of the bank.

I worked for a smaller company that has turned into a general marina and fiberglass repair and fabrication. I did everything for that company from mechanical work to shipping to purchasing, etc. that was mainly while I was in college.

I would be looking for a job in banking or insurance, sales or marketing/management, basically business related, but no accounting. so I have a pretty broad area that I can work in.

I know I could find a job in Boston or New England, but that is a decent drive to the mountains, and as some have said, I would probably not go as much, or my trips out west would still be where I would get most of my riding in. I don't mind where I am as ski areas are very close, but there is no upward mobility with regards to work, unless you are a doctor, lawyer or own your own business basically. but where I am, riding really is nothing to brag about.

anyone know how the job outlook is in Vermont?

Life is truly a trade off of sorts. We can not usually have everything we want, I know I couldn't as I am not insanely wealthy (to have a few houses in key locations to travel between for my hobbies).

I know I could move anywhere I want and snowboard, but I need a little different type of job than I would be guaranteed, and like I said I am into other stuff also.

Edited by Timeless61

I snowboad, golf, fish, hunt, shoot, boats and cars a little bit. I would not be hunting any where other than our property in PA really, so that doesn't matter a whole lot, but the south would be pretty good for the other stuff, PA is very humid also, so I am used to that.

Definitely broaden the area considered. OR/WA/ID/ The pacifc northwest has allot to offer. Portland and Seattle probably have the types of jobs you seek. Good luck in your search. Many here have done this with great success.

Let's see.... I lived in PA until 2004 and Seven Springs was my home (1 hr from my driveway). Normal season was about 30 days of riding.

Moved to NC (Charlotte) due to work

Only get about 10 days locally and one 7 day trip each year (ECES this year)

There are a few of us in NC but rarely do we ride together. Your riding will stagnate if you stay local. I know my riding has not improved much since 04 (aside from maybe being able to ride in subpar conditions) due to lack of days on the snow. You'll have to get a trip or two in to a worthwhile location AND ensure you are riding with others that are better than you. This is one reason why I head to the SES or ECES every year.

I would certainly like to move to a more winter sport friendly location but it isn't high on my priority list right now. If you are open to any location, I would definitely broaden your search. However, if you move down this way let me know, we need more riders!