Note to New Members ×

did board cause injury?

theboarderdude

I broke my tibia 3 days before nationals in winter park, and the more I think about it, I think my board caused my injury. I was training on the nastar course and was either going to hit a gate or go around the wrong side, so I chose wrong side. It happened pretty fast, but from what I've heard and can remember, my nose dug into a pile of pow, got stuck, and I flipped. That was my first day on my board, a Rossi shannon melhuse, with toni-something boots. I was gonna try to race on it that weekend(stupid disicion #1), so I needed the practice. I was goin pretty hard(stupid disicion #2). I think that if I had just stayed on my freestlye board, pretty good in powder, I would have not hurt anything or just not crashed. Did my board cause my crash, inexpirence, stupidity, or all 3?

"freestyle board"s can stuff their nose too!!!

Look I've been where you are (last Feb.)... crashed on course. Type 3 separated shoulder, torn labrum, damaged the head of my bicep. Spent 3 months in a sling (one post injury/two post surgery) and two months with my arm dangling by my side (one post injury/one post surgery).

We'd been racing all day and my times were dropping... I was really grooving the course. Deeply dug out course... rutted... slightly soft snow.. caught a (ski) gate on the exposed screws... landed square on my shoulder at maximum warp.

Who's to blame? maybe me... should have hung it up earlier but in the end it happened.

You need to make peace and move on because there is nothing you can do about it... yeah, I know! Easier to type then to do!

I think the OP is fairly specific - asking if the board caused the crash (see last sentence).

If you're asking: "is this type of crash inevitable on hard boots/ race boards", then the answer is clearly "no".

If you're asking: "could I avoid this with more experience", then I'd guess that the answer is "yes".

I damaged my ankle once about a decade ago by stuffing the nose of my board into a crusty glacier. I think that's the type of crash you're describing - an "auger in" in Canuk terms. I was going very hard too, but I was riding a soft-boot board (Burton Supermodel Mark 1), with hard boots. So I would say that it's not got much to do with the board, as a large floppy powder board is about as far as you can get from a race board (although I'm not familiar with Rossi snowboards at all).

So that leaves the boots. If I'd been riding soft boots, would I have got away with it, or not crashed like that at all? I'm not sure - I've no stats on soft booters, but they do tend to be slower and have difficulty in conditions like that (broadly breakable crust in my case). So the soft booters may have stayed at home, or rode more defensively. But if I was riding soft boots, would that have helped? I'm not sure, I did blow my hard boot apart, and perhaps it would have been easier (less force on my ankle) to do that with the tie-wrap and laces technologies, but then perhaps I'd have had less "protection" from those things.

I would say.... I'm sorry that happened, but it's a failure mode that you'll know how to deal with in future. Personally if I feel there's a risk of this then I favour my tail a little and I've never had an issue with it since. I don't ride slower or smarter though. This is not an issue for 99.9% of the stuff I ride on.

Cause no 4: 'twas a freak accident..

Happened to me too, nose got stuck, folded big time (I thought the board was gonna break), then violently threw me like a catapult. Soft snow so I survived without major injury but me ankle was sore for a month...

A rockered nose, good wax, and better flex pattern all would have helped. I broke a board doing an ollie out of a carve and sticking the nose into some soft on the descent. It happens to everyone, especially when youre in a race course looking 50 feet ahead of where you are. If you wanna feel better, search "bobdea fis snowboard" and you'll find a 2005(?) Fis world cup championships video he uploaded. In the gs, someone stuck a kessler nose and blew the first foot of the board clean off...this is a rider with better gear and more experience than you. Whether youre breaking bones or gear, the fact of the matter is nothing is unbreakable, and doing something like sticking the nose in a race course subjects your, body, boots, and bindings to a huge amount of force.

Heal up and stick with your racing!

I fractured my hip last week, in a ski race, just after smoking up the competition on snowboard, in the same course. Are the skis responsible for my misfortune?

Or would it be the skier, who took the gate way too late and still wanted to force the turn to make the line?