Note to New Members ×

To Asym or not to Asym?

xacta168

Hi,

I have a 160 Hot Logical Regular Asymmetrical that I have never taken out, I started snowboarding in 1992 and a friend of mine had the Burton PJ 7 and ever since then I have wanted try try the Asym board.

I would like to hear from all the Asym riders out there about your experience on the this type of board, good and bad.

Thanks.

Greg

Edited by xacta168

I have a vintage PJ7 that I had as brand new until a few years ago. The board is wicked and I love the un-matched sidecuts. Mine has a defective tail that has a unusual amount of camber for any board. So I love to ride old school and love asym riding. I have not ridden the hot logical, but I imagine it must be similar.

L-

If the board is in good condition you could ride it. I rode one years ago at Ski Sunlight in Glenwood springs CO and it was fun. Does your board have inserts or is it ski screw mounting? If it has inserts it would be fine. Virus is making an asym race board now. If the board has ski screw mounting that would be a problem to mount today's bindings on it.If it has real old snowpro vario p3 bindings on it I would not ride the board. You might post a picture of the board?

It really depends on the board. I have a F2 Beamer wc that i rode once and will probably never ride again, total lead sled. My F2 Beamer wc carbon is the funnest board i have ever ridden and i have been riding since 1990. I would pay a pretty penny to find another one. Maybe i will send it off someday to Coiler and see if he can make a Coiler version. Check out this video on my F2 asym. <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/4474212" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="338" width="500"></iframe>

It really depends on the board. I have a F2 Beamer wc that i rode once and will probably never ride again, total lead sled. My F2 Beamer wc carbon is the funnest board i have ever ridden and i have been riding since 1990. I would pay a pretty penny to find another one. Maybe i will send it off someday to Coiler and see if he can make a Coiler version. Check out this video on my F2 asym.
better hide that video before Jack gets a look at it, you aren't allowed to have fun on asym boards! ;)

ps if bruce starts making them i'm in.

Holy crap Casper, I can see why you like your Asym, I have never seen anyone ride an Asym like that, wow that really gives me something to shoot for.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, but please tell me what you like about riding the Asyms.

I also have a Hooger Asym Goofy that has never seen the snow as the inserts were never put in the board I might be willing to sell or trade.

Gregpost-9933-14184236576_thumb.jpg

post-9933-141842365755_thumb.jpg

post-9933-141842365758_thumb.jpg

Well all I can say is that I like the natural feel an asym gives me. Hard to explain but I feel ver y assertive on them. I push hard on my healsides and I pop from one turn to the next. With not much fear. Only recently has my virus come close to this feel. I must say that my asym is the last board they will pry from my dead hand. Perhaps this is all nostalgia? But Casper here shows some great riding on an asym. I too had an F2 Beamer and it was very good. Bilut it was too stiff and too short for my 200 lbs. I need to find someone locally here in michigan to film me so i can studyy technique between the new school virus and the old school pj.

I'm not going on the record and say there is anything special about asyms, but there is something special about mine! I have four other asyms sitting in my closet and i pass by it now and then and say to myself "when am i going to haul all that junk down to the dumpster". I feel this particular board just matches my personality and style. I got lucky. There's something in what LambertoMI says about the way it turns. It turns aggressively and easily. I have said in other threads, I'm not taking this board out in anything but hero conditions. If it's icy, steep, or i feel like smoothing out the groomers with my body i grab my Swoard:)

Casper, I always enjoy your vids! You are a machine man, I can imagine the faces of people looking on slope.

Xacta, I've sent you an email re. Hooger.

BTW, this thread is in a wrong section, only reviews go here. General discussion of asyms should be in the main forum - you'll get more responses too. Maybe ask Jack to move it?

I rode asyms for 4 years. I think there are a few things we need to be honest about when waxing nostalgic for our old asyms.

1, almost any board and any technique works on good conditions. This is why I got hooked on carving on a 1989 Burton Safari Comp II, a board which by today's standards, royally sucks. And so did I.

2, an expert carver can have fun and make carving look good on almost any equipment.

3, the quickest most efficient way to move your mass across the board (or move the board under your mass) is in a straight line perpendicular to the board. This is why symmetrical boards are the standard. It was not an industry conspiracy to do away with extra tooling.

If you like asyms and have fun riding them, that's great. But you could probably do better on a sym, IMO.

More: http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/rise_fall.html

Edited by Jack Michaud

Well I rode a kemper ac 167 freecarve for almost a decade. Retired it when the plate with the 4x4 pattern started to pull through the topsheet. Loved that board ended up replacing it with a nitro blazer 165. Now loving my custom prior 4x4 best board I have ever had. Snowboard evolution at its finest.

Mid to late '60's longboard era, Carl Ekstrom built asym surfboards. If I'm not mistaken, he's still active in board design!!

At any rate, as of late asym design seems to be making more of an impact on short surfboards than it did on longboards (?) Granted, the dynamics are different - no bindings, a softer, more fluid medium, and the ability to make subtle foot and forward/back trimming movements.

FWIW, I still have my Burton M6 modded with Sims SnowStix. Think I experienced my first real hardboot carves on that board. Great memories and still, to me, one of the best topsheet graphics ever.

As a lazy minimalist, I don't like to think about or over-analyze gear too much, but the fact that today, highly-regarded Pureboarding will still build you a custom, apparently dynamite asym carver is strong evidence that the concept remains viable...

BB :biggthump

Edited by boarderboy