Note to New Members ×

detune?

rjnakata

Yet another personal choice. If you find the nose of the board too grabby or unpredictable when initiating a turn, you could try detuning the first two inches or so of the effective edge with a gummi stone. Just a couple of light passes on the first inch first, then a bit more if you feel it necessary. YMMV. Try it, you might like it.

If this is in regards to your 158, then probably not.

Often 'de-tuning' is used like interface flex and early rise; as a means of filtering unintentional or outsized inputs from the rider. So long as the base is flat, and there is no 'base erosion' next to the edge, sharp to the contact points should be fine.

A torsionally stiff board ridden like a torsionally soft board may feel more 'grabby'.

hi RJNAKATA

i agree with both CHRIS HOUGHTON and BECKMANN INC.

i personally don't detune but i know a lot of experienced carvers that do. i probably do it subconsciously when i sharpen my edges.

on the toe edge i will sharpen about a centimeter higher towards the tip and stop filing about a centimeter further from the tail than the other edge. this means that on the heel edge i will stop filing about a centimeter further from the tip and stop filing about a centimeter closer to the tail than the other edge.

i am one of the oddballs that feels that you use different parts of the edge when turning toeside or heelside since snowboarders don't stand symmetrically--unless you run parallel angles of exactly 90 degrees on both feet. in other words detune ASYMETRICALLY even if you have a SYMMETRICAL snowboard. so technically the only boards that i don't detune subconsciously are my old asyms. actually a centimeter isn't a whole lot so my best answer is i don't detune. at least not consciously-lol.

Edited by tenorman
misspelled HOUGHTON

For free carving, I say no, none at all, especially on on newer designs with decambered tips/tails. Even on "classic" designs like Madds, I didn't find detuning necessary. I'd like as much effective edge on the snow as possible, and only dial things back from there if needed.

I have been in the habit of detuning for about the last decade and when I forget to do so, it is quite noticeable because I have incidents related to hair-trigger turn initiations. I guess I prefer the board to turn only when I give it firm input. I think this is all about rider preference.

I use a gummi stone and 3 light passes at the tip in tail. Each pass is a little longer so that the first inch gets 3 passes, the next two inches get 2, and the last 2 inches get one. I have occasionally detuned assymettrically and this works well on some boards.

I like the edges sharp to the contact point. Detune to your preference. You learn your preference by trying different amounts of sharpness at various points along the edge. Just do NOT pick up a file to detune unless you never plan to go sharp again. I can't tell you how many boards I have seen with severe detunes. Someone having rounded the edge back 3-6" from tip or tail. It will use up allot of edge to get it sharp again. A stone or gummy stone is all that is needed.

Not aimed at poster but anyone trying to get up the nerve to tune their first board.

Learning to tune your own boards is a gift to your self that keeps on giving.
Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

I prefer to detune my edges on the slopes. I do not detune with files or gummies just snow. Guess you could detune if edges are grabby but getting used to a sharp board would be a better option. I like my edges sharp enough to scrape your fingernail. Remember in edge we trust.

I'll second the comments on the post so far, so my comments are; don't waste time tuning it if you are going to detune it anyway - use a gummi not a file - freeriding/carving needs less attention than a race/gate tune - let your riding/feet tell you where your last tune needs improvement, ...... but would add that detuning for ice is more critical than for hero snow, and that I detune less on the nose of the toeside and on the tail of the heelside. Having said that - if you don't believe in asym boards, you might not believe in asym (de)tuning. :)