Note to New Members ×

Board sizes?

Tugboater

The 'off-the-shelf' boards often have recommended weight ranges, but as soon as you go custom you can ride any length you want. I'm 205 lbs and have ridden 158 to 186 boards quite happily.

At 185 lbs you're kind of in a sweet spot as many boards are tailored around that zone.

I've ridden boards from 141-200 at 180lbs and been happy. It depends on what you are looking for, how you ride, etc. Each mfg is oing to have different flex patterns in their stock boards, and they won't be consistant for a given size across makers. That's part of their individual "personality". Something in the 168-175 range seems to suite most folks well if they are looking for a general freecarve board. Lots of folks on this board (myself included) seem to like 180+ GS type decks, but they can be a lot of board for small hills or inexperienced riders.

After selling off my short stuff I'm inclined to start searching for another SL stick- 160ish, but it's not a 1:1 replacement for a GS board.

I'd love to attend ECES but I'll be out on the boat. I'm 5'11" 185 lbs and a I ride the New England ice caps ;). I like to go fast and make nice turns but I have no interest in racing. I range from Dad with 2 kids riding to woohoo 4 hours with out them, I don't like riding moguls if I can help it steeps don't bother me and there aren't any glades where I get to. My carving board is shorter then my regular board and it doesn't feel like it can hold me when I get into a carve.

I'd love to attend ECES but I'll be out on the boat. I'm 5'11" 185 lbs and a I ride the New England ice caps ;). I like to go fast and make nice turns but I have no interest in racing. I range from Dad with 2 kids riding to woohoo 4 hours with out them, I don't like riding moguls if I can help it steeps don't bother me and there aren't any glades where I get to. My carving board is shorter then my regular board and it doesn't feel like it can hold me when I get into a carve.

It can hold you, but maybe not at the speed you want, or your technique isn't up to par for the situation (I speak from personal experience :rolleyes:), or a little of both. I've got a rack of boards in my office you are welcome to come up and try out if you're able to get up here before the snow disappears. When do you head out on the boat?

Something in the 168-175 range seems to suite most folks well if they are looking for a general freecarve board.

+1

I think the 168-175 length is a good range for east coast conditions, although I would love something longer on days that I can really open it up!

It can hold you, but maybe not at the speed you want, or your technique isn't up to par for the situation (I speak from personal experience :rolleyes:), or a little of both. I've got a rack of boards in my office you are welcome to come up and try out if you're able to get up here before the snow disappears. When do you head out on the boat?

It does hold, I should have added the snow was a bit on the soft side. I should be back in early March and I'm going to try and meet an old shipmate up in VT for a day of riding. I appreciate the offer if I kick up some free time I'll shoot you an email.