Note to New Members ×

Anybody Added Extra Inserts/Mounting Holes to their Board? ?

barryj

Took out the new Virus Avy AFT ALP - All I can say is Wow!

Kills everything...groomers, ice, pow...........

I tried you guys suggestion of a wider stance...started at 20.5 -just didn't feel right....after numerous adjustments I'm now back down to 18-

Toe side still rails but my heel side is washing out.

On the front foot I'm all the way back on the last set of mounting holes and on the rear foot I'm all the way forward on the first set of holes!

I feel centered - I think I should move both feet up to load the nose to counter the heel side wash out but I got nowhere to go on the rear binding except backwards!

I got lift but no cant on 60/55 My rear foot feels under powered/laging behind my body on the heelside - will try turning up the angles to 65/60

I'm use to a tight stance so I'm thinking of having another set of inserts/mounting holes added to the front and back foot down at the local ski race shop - anybody else tried this??

<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

progress.gif

This can certainly be done, I'd say as a last resort. alpine riders were doing this in the '80s before inserts. 18" is already narrow, you may want to consider toelifts and /or more heel lift before punching holes in the board to get forward.

Pusbag rides a 12" stance due to a gimpy leg and has had an extra set of inserts put into an eldo I sold him for a pow board, last year he had a custom prior built with inserts to match his stance.

barryj, I did it to an older board (no grinds left) I have to mount a plate system directly to the board.

Unless you are experienced with this type of work, I would recommend finding a builder or an experienced shop do the job, specially on a newer (good) board.

The cost of the materials (countersink, inserts, epoxy, P-tex) alone is not cheap.

While the integrity of the inserts/ epoxy does not seem to be a problem, the finish on my P-tex plugs leave a bit to be desired :( .

Over the years I have ridden allot of boards with inserts. ALLOT! From the days prior to a standardized insert pack up until last weekend riding a board repeatedly used for prototyping systems. I can state that I have never broken a snowboard on an insert. I have pulled a few inserts, but they were all original manufacturer inserts. It is critical that they be installed properly.

I would argue that in some cases they are in fact stronger than original. Good mechanical decisions must be made in the process. I.E. Don't place 8 inserts in a row across the running length of a board. At 250lbs I think I am placing a substancial force on the inserts?

The Sims Burner 197cm doesn't have inserts where I needed them for a plate.

post-198-141842357829_thumb.jpg

My recommendation is don't do anything insert or t-nut wise. Frank does an excellent job building Virus and knows were the binders should be placed for the flex on the board. Start out centered on the inserts and widen/narrow your stance from there. I rode one of these last season and it was a stellar board in crap conditions.

Ink

I'm using old Oxygen 01 plate bindings with the doughnut ring with (little) built in cant/lift. I'm thinking I'll double up the cant/lift disk on the rear foot to push more more forward and maybe get a little inward cant going also.

The board railed the toe side when I was centered (20+) but I had no control on the heelside. I'm much more comfortable at my 18- but the board isn't as snappy/responsive.

I think I'd go the plate route before adding inserts. Get Donek to make you a plate that has multiple hole options. Although I did mount my AT skis with inserts under my bindings. I'd be happy to show you that set-up next weekend when I'm up at Alpine. The inserts I used are sold by a company called www.bindingfreedom.com - they're designed for ski mounting so you'll have to check with Jon whether they're the same thread pattern/pitch as snowboard inserts. He sells all the stuff you need to do the mounting yourself. It isn't hard if you're careful. But that said, I wouldn't do it to a Virus board I don't think. Or at least I'd try it on a trash board first.

When I had my 4x4 made, I had Prior put an extra set of inserts in the board. I wanted the option to mount the board more rear-ward on powder days. I only use those holes for pow days and it is a sweet option to have. You could ask Virus to make your next board with an extra set of inserts. That would be the best route, IMO.