Note to New Members ×

Intecs with UPZ boots.

dano

Does anyone know the exact part numbers for the T nuts/bolts to attach intec compatable heels to upz boots? I assume McMasters.com is the place to go.

Has anyone just used longer versions of the same self tapping screws they come with?

OR....Does anyone know why the hell they don't make them with T-nuts in the goddamned first place????!!!!

Does anyone know the exact part numbers for the T nuts/bolts to attach intec compatable heels to upz boots? [...]

OR....Does anyone know why the hell they don't make them with T-nuts in the goddamned first place????!!!!

They do come with T-nuts nowadays. (image shows this year's RC8.)

post-1988-14184235775_thumb.jpg

three responses and zero help for Dano...

I don't know what exact part number to use for the tee-nuts... but after a few years of use and corrosion I had trouble with the UPZ-provided nuts. I switched to a different size thread and now use socket head cap screws to hold my heel to the boot. The socket head helps reduce problems getting the screws out when I need to switch between my DIN heels and Intec. In order to keep a phillips or posidrive screwdriver engaged you need to apply pressure... which for me pushed the tee-nut off and allowed in to spin.

I sold heels to a guy with upz boots and they had these crappy bolts that don't even fit in the heels. T nutting would be best, but if he reams out the holes a little and gets the same thread engagement as with the original heels it should be safe. Maybe get a longer coarse thread screw from west marine if the original is too short.

2mhcvep.jpg

Don´t know what your problems are....:eek:

a: you buy new heels. the nuts and bolts are included.

Newer UPZ have the nuts installed.

in older ones you have to put them in.

method: get a larger (50mm or so) M6 bolt (Hex head) without the locktite on it, and some washers. Put the heel in place, drive the long bolt with washers through and place the nut. This makes sure it is aligned. Then start tightening it untill it FULLY rests on the shoe´s sole. You pull it in place. Use a flashlight to check!

also do this on new UPZ where the nuts were originally installed, to really drive (pull) them in.

b: used heels and shoes not nutted.

Get those nuts and M6 bolts from your local hardware store, and also one longer one, together with some washers, and do the above. Remove the longer screw and replace with fitting phillips head, alle, torx whateverscrews with some medium loctite. Check for fastening after a half a day of boarding.

And while you're at it:

back out the torx bolts on the tongue, cant adjusters, and the ratchet teeth and lock tite those. I neglected to do this and found myself minus a cant adjuster the other day. Makes the boots unrideable.

Other than that I love the RC-10's. They hold my ankle and heel in place and leave room for my wide fore foot. Nice moderate stiffness too.

T nutting would be best, but if he reams out the holes a little and gets the same thread engagement as with the original heels it should be safe.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mhcvep.jpg

NO NO NO! Don't do it. You NEED T-nuts, don't even think about using that type of screw with an Intec heel as it'll pull out. Those screws are good enough to keep a rubber piece from falling off under it's own weight, and that's it. Using them with an Intec heel will guarantee failure.

These were NOS intec boot compatable Physics heels/bindings that I sold to someone else.

I know they work with Deluxe/Raichle and of course burton intec boots right out of the box.

Physics come with bolts but not t nuts. (Burton boots did much better than t nuts, they have this big piece of alloy with threaded inserts for the heel and toe pads.)

The buyer requested I include the burton speed hooks and receivers with the bindings so I thought he had Burton boots until he sent me the pic and asked for help. I just want to do the right thing.

My plan was to get him the part numbers for the hardware and advise him to go that route. The theaded plastic looks crazy to me too...

It's pretty lame that they claim to be intec compatable but you have to drill the damn things to use intec heels...I don't know how "handy" the buyer is either.

FIN, PLEASE COULDJA PUT AN INTEC HEEL t-NUT/BOLT KIT IN THE BOMBER STORE???

Do you own a RC8?

Yes, I bought them in autumn. I have only ridden them once yet, and therefore cannot give any long-term, qualified review.

An addendum for current UPZ+Intec: While built-in the T-Nuts seem to work perfectly well, the Torx-screws which hold the regular heels do not fit Intecs, the heads are too wide. That is no problem though, since Intec heels come with fitting screws. As 0815-fahrer already noted new Intec heels also ship with T-nuts.