Note to New Members ×

Critique My Riding also

Harmless

I dont want to feel as if im stealing ideas but i feel as this could be the greatest help to all new hardbooters who dont have the ability to riding with other hardbooters.

This is video from my fourth day riding hard gear.

Thanks to all in advance helping beginners before and after me.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvAAA_4plg?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvAAA_4plg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Also thanks to hoffmac11 for the idea on the forums

But your hands don't carve. Your reaching for the snow on toeside turns and your not pressuring the nose and the heel edge on your heelside turns. Think about pushing your knees toward the snow in your turns. Let your ankles roll into and out of the turns. Keep your shoulders level to the hill. Outside (downhill) arm down. Uphill arm up. Bend zee kneez, five dollars pleez. Good luck. Read 'The Norm' on this website. Jack Michaud wrote it and it's helped many of us here.

Mark

Yep, you look exactly like my friend who I just got started on hardboots. Your toe is decent but heel needs work. It's about rotation, but I didn't understand what rotation meant until I watched tons of videos and played around on my longboard (like, skateboard).

Once you understand it, all the advice you get on this forum makes sense, but I found the advice doesn't always make sense ...until ...you ..understand it, so yeah basically just do this : :smashfrea

Don't go so fast - you can't make your board do tight turns at the speeds you are going unless you have great form. I used to say "use it or lose it" to remind myself that unless I turned to keep my speed in control that I would get going too fast and not be able to stick carves (chatter or washout being the result).

Rotation. I couldn't learn it from reading about it. Here are my tips: try to ignore the fall line. Don't look down the trail. Get used to looking "trees to trees" on either side. Looking in this way will help to get your back shoulder "up front" more. Your whole body is like a corkscrew spinning into the turn. I found the "reach to the boot cuff" drill incredibly helpful.

GET LOW. The single most important tip I never got. The advice is usually "bend your knees" but that is b.s. -> I'm am bending my knees!!!!! No, you need to be seriously crouched, it helps a ton.

Your confidence seems fine, it was an issue for me. Trust the board and if it starts to chatter - do not try to recover, just let it slide. I was seriously injured from chatter last season and it made me timid which in turn made me chatter more which, etc etc.

I hope this helps - feel free to PM me. And thank you for putting a video up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! regardless of quality (though I thought it was ok)

every time you think you want to reach for the snow push with your knees instead.

once your right hand disappears from your vision ( as in dropping it back) expect to slide out shortly. to counter this keep your back hand on your belly or somewhere you can see it.

stand tall in between.

start turns earlier.

finish your turns.

kind of hard to do more than that from seeing just a couple of turns.

good luck.

I'm far from a hardbooting expert yet, but in my softboot carving experience, a couple of points of advice from Nick and Carvedog stand out as spot-on:

a) push with your knees, not reach withyour hand

b) look to the trees, not the fall line.

I never thought about it that way, but on the days when I was ripping solid carves, I was essentially doing both "a" and "b"...I just didn't realize it until you guys articulated it.

The other factor I've found works for me is the surface conditions. If it's packed powder, my confidence ramps exponentially. I don't fear washing out. As such, I push harder with my knees as I turn. Assuming the board holds its edge, this effectively extends your body (arms and all) up the hill, closer to the snow. My problem is that in the NE, ice is more prevalent than PP, so while I can hold a decent carve, I frequently don't find myself confident enough to push with my knees beyond a certain point, out of fear the board will washout. As a result, I don't get as close to the snow as I'd like. I have to work on that.

Rotation. I couldn't learn it from reading about it. Here are my tips: try to ignore the fall line. Don't look down the trail. Get used to looking "trees to trees" on either side. Looking in this way will help to get your back shoulder "up front" more. Your whole body is like a corkscrew spinning into the turn. I found the "reach to the boot cuff" drill incredibly helpful.

b) look to the trees, not the fall line.

Reading "Look to the trees" here helped me immensely today. I knew I wasn't finishing my turns, and as I tried to look where I wanted to go, it didn't help. My rotation still stopped short.

This tip made a little breakthrough for me today that helped me finish my turns, and set both my heel and toe side up for stronger carves. My heel side especially improved because of this. I was seeing "S" in the snow from my tracks, rather than a bunch of parentheses :)

Thanks guys!

If you want to go with the rotation technique and push and pull like I am learning too (for years), you can use this instructional video. Important is knees work and rotation and not indeed, reaching for the snow. If you want to carve just let your whole body fall, like you have a stiff body and let yourself fall into a bed for example. Look into the inside of the turn where you are going (strange feeling it is).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JpjZchZqwyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hans,

Thanks for posting that one. I think there are a lot of techniques I will try. Mostly the shoulders turn into the carve. I think I follow the US tech of keeping the shoulders straight across the slope, but this shows a rotational turn as something lead with the upper body. But the shoulders are mostly level in the turns. I never thought to turn this way as I jump right to laid turns at high speed.

Not sure how well this will work on my little hill, but I am going to try.

This also shows me that it is more about the body dynamic than the stance angles and toe in vs. splay out...