Note to New Members ×

Swoard Extreme Carver help!

NSSage

Hello, I am pretty new to carving but I ride an Oxygen KR board and a Burton alp 4.5 but I have been thinking of purchasing a new Swoard snowboard but I need help selecting the size and flex of the board, I weigh about 130lbs. I am 5'11" can somebody help me decide which one to buy I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong one. Also I will be putting catek OS2 bindings on it. And lastly what should I expect from a Swoard?

Thank You

No doubt many will have suggestions for other boards for you as Swoard isn't especially popular among BOLers. But your best advice on what you could expect performance-wise would probably come from caspercarver - I suggest shooting him an email through the forum. He outweighs you by just a bit, but is still lighter than most riders here. Here's what he was up to on an Extreme Carver last season.....

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35157

http://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/choose.html

scroll down and there is a table for height/weight (I'm 135lbs 5'6'' and ride the 161 soft).

If you're worried, I would suggest posting on the swoard forum, lots of help and experience there. Even better would be going to the Zinal sessions (lots of snow this year) and try them out.

As for binding, the suggest something not too stiff. Bomber Sidewinder seems to be the binding of choice if you have the money otherwise F2 race titanium (not step ins).

Hi NSSage

I am currently riding a PRIOR 4WD and have been using CATEK OS2's for the past 3 years and just yesterday replace them and used my new TD3 SideWinders. They were great and much SIMPLER to mount (and remount)... and more importantly, are one of the bindings that SWOARD guys recommend for EC as they are not as stiff as the OS2's.

As for which size and flex board etc to get ... there is a TABLE on their website: http://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/choose.html

Then look under: Model Extremecarver - generation 4 :w the instructions below.

Then after you get an idea of what you need ... call Michelle at Bomber and talk to her.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination .... but have made a few inquiries already as I am seriously looking at getting one while in Aspen at the SES / WCS in February.

The SWOARD guys also recommended changing the springs in my HEAD PRO STRATOS boots, so I have those on the way to me now. They also recommended cutting some of the Plastic Parts off my Head Boots to get them to be more flexible ... but I am leaving that alone ...at least for now. Will look into that more when in ASPEN and make a decision that about that.

Hope the above info helps you along.

If your goal is to "EC"?

Have you:

Checked out the extreme carving site for suggestions?

Catek are very stiff, not what EC riders tend to use.

Definitely NOT ski boots?

Keep going with your research and WELCOME to Bomber Online.

My goal is definitely Extreme Carving. And I don't plan on using my ski boots on this board! I have some Rossignol Alpine boots. Thanks for the help!

Thanks everyone for the help! And thank you for the suggestions for bindings I was just thinking of getting Cateks because I hear a lot about them and prefer a stiff binding but I will be looking into the bomber bindings for sure! Thanks!

You obviously didn't hear enough about them... Do a search. Just saying...

At 130 lbs, you don't need neither Cateks, nor Bombers.

Agreed! lf your goal is EC please spend some time on the extreme carving website. Burton, F2 and Bomber Sidewinders are what you want. Catek bindings are bear traps.

Rossignol make snowboard boots?!

Agreed! lf your goal is EC please spend some time on the extreme carving website. Burton, F2 and Bomber Sidewinders are what you want. Catek bindings are bear traps.

Rossignol make snowboard boots?!

Okay that makes since thanks for the help. Yeah they are quite old but I like them, I am thinking about ordering some new Deeluxe boots though when I get my board.

...I have been thinking of purchasing a new Swoard snowboard but I need help selecting the size and flex of the board, I weigh about 130lbs. I am 5'11" can somebody help me decide which one to buy I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong one. Also I will be putting catek OS2 bindings on it. And lastly what should I expect from a Swoard? Thank You

Selecting your SWOARD here.

According your weight & hight your board length is 168S and depend your boots size; if MP 30,4 or bigger then you move to 175S

NOTE: 130Lbs = 59Kg, 5'11'' = 180 cm and Boots size (MP)??

Shoot Nils an email; he ride all kinds of SWOARD. Ask for his personal experience with this RED deck. More of deck discussion with Nils of SWOARD - Gen 2, 3 & 4 here

Hope this help,

RT

CarvingScooby has said it right. I have ridden a 168H for a few seasons with 85 kgs and 180cm length, mondo 27. The 168S will suit you if you don't have feet which are even big as a ship. Cateks: have ridden them too, stay away from them. No lateral flex, too stiff, too direct for ECing. Go for Bomber sidewinders with yellow pads or Ibex bindings. I have ridden a 1st Gen. Have heard very good things on the new 4th Gen. More rubber in it (less/no more chatter, more dampening, better edgehold), and better turning in and out initiation. You 'll certainly like the versatality of the board. Forgiving ride. You'll certainly have fun with a Swoard.

CarvingScooby has said it right. I have ridden a 168H for a few seasons with 85 kgs and 180cm length, mondo 27. The 168S will suit you if you don't have feet which are even big as a ship. Cateks: have ridden them too, stay away from them. No lateral flex, too stiff, too direct for ECing. Go for Bomber sidewinders with yellow pads or Ibex bindings. I have ridden a 1st Gen. Have heard very good things on the new 4th Gen. More rubber in it (less/no more chatter, more dampening, better edgehold), and better turning in and out initiation. You 'll certainly like the versatality of the board. Forgiving ride. You'll certainly have fun with a Swoard.

Great thanks, my mondo size is 26 so it sounds like the 168 soft is the board for me. Okay, as far as bindings go how are F2 bindings for EC? I will most likely get the bombers though as I have been hearing alot about how great they are for EC.

Great thanks, my mondo size is 26 so it sounds like the 168 soft is the board for me. Okay, as far as bindings go how are F2 bindings for EC? I will most likely get the bombers though as I have been hearing alot about how great they are for EC.

Should go for the Ibex. Otherwise drop Fin an email, because I don't know if they gonna fit your hardboots. The Ibex are just the lighter and more forgiving bindings with more lateral flex overall. I think they are more suitable for your purpose and weight than the SW's. I find the SW's have a more bling bling factor, and that's what's counting more....:cool: