Note to New Members ×

Ottawa 2011/12

CaRtharsis

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am up every Tuesday at Fortune. I will be the one wearing the Blue and Yellow with matching backpack. Love to meet some fellow hard booters.

quote]

Geoff,

As one of the fellow carvers on the list, I am also at CF regularly, as an instructor, on Saturdays. If you would like to ride first thing in the morning, lemme know. You could get me to help you check the grooming prior to the lift opening and I can give you some riding tips (I actually took the Carving Instructors course - when there was one...).

Please note that I need to know a day or two in advance because I do not always (just most of the time) toss my carving board in the car since it is much easier to teach on a freeride board, of course. However, it takes very little convincing to get me out on one of my Volkl Renntigers! :)

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. Frequently, one or more of us rendez-vous at Cascades for their $10 Hot 89.9 nights (Weds). See Tabatha's post for the link from a couple weeks back on the next thread.

Hi folks,

I will likely pass on Cascades tomorrow as the temp is falling back to about -20.

I am playing hooky on Friday to be at Camp Fortune.

And I am definately going to Tremblant on Sunday (T-66 day) when the mercury is going to be hanging around zero.

My standard MT routine is to arrive early at the North Side for opening and leave early when the traffic gets busy.

I have room for 1-3 more people. Call or text me at 613-552-0034, or reply here, if interested.

Brian

There was no freezing rain at Vorlage yesterday, so the conditions were soft and fun. It was a nice night out with Ian, Ryan and Debbie. Granted one of the chair-lifts broke, so there were fewer runs to rip though, but I spent my whole last run laughing because I was just having so much fun! See you there next time?

There was no freezing rain at Vorlage yesterday, so the conditions were soft and fun. One of the chair-lifts broke, so there were fewer runs to rip though, but I spent my whole last run laughing because I was just having so much fun! See you there next time?

Sure, when they sprinkle some fairy dust on Vorlage to make that mole hill grow into a mountian and the double chairs expand into triples and quads :D.

Did anyone else watch The Rick Mercier Report on CBC Tue nite? There was an hilarious piece on the Canadian Ski Patrol – at Camp Fortune <ST1:p</ST1:pno less!

First Rick Mercer got to mutilate a training dummy, then he was the guineau pig as he was lowered from a stopped lift (the old double blue chair on Pineault), to demonstrate an emergency evacuation, while everyone else watched from the quad chair that runs parallel. I was splitting my gut laughing because since normally Rick Mercer gets all the good punch lines the Ski Partrollers had some fun with him - on the descent they jerked him hard to a stop about six feet off the ground, then let him hang there for a minute like a fish outta water!

<O:p</O:p

Geoff, were you part of that crowd of scheming blue jackets … or did you even know that the RMR was shooting at Fortune this year???

Cheers,

Brian

Sure, when they sprinkle some fairy dust on Vorlage to make that mole hill grow into a mountian and the double chairs expand into triples and quads :D.

You are just jealous that a group of us went out last night and had a blast! The slow chairs meant we spent time catching up with fellow carvers and getting tips and hints on how to push it harder. And there was lots of fairy dust around when we left.

Are we really comparing 47m difference in vert...

Vorlage 142m vert

Camp Fortune 189m vert

When does a hill become a mountain? I'd rather take a ride on a slow crippled double and ride a snow covered hill any day over a mountain made of ice and meat gates...just saying :D

Are we really comparing 47m difference in vert...

Vorlage 142m vert

Camp Fortune 189m vert

When does a hill become a mountain? I'd rather take a ride on a slow crippled double and ride a snow covered hill any day over a mountain made of ice and meat gates...just saying :D

http://www.skimarble.com/themountain.asp

Anyone up for a trip to this one? 518m vert.... Yes we actually call it a Mountain.

Riding up the chair lift at White Face yesterday there were markers noting how much higher than other mountains were were. at the Summit there were signs saying how high up we were (4000+ feet). At the end of the day it was moot though - who cares about vertical when it is sheer ice anyway. It is not the size that matters, it is about conditions!

Riding up the chair lift at White Face yesterday there were markers noting how much higher than other mountains were were. at the Summit there were signs saying how high up we were (4000+ feet). At the end of the day it was moot though - who cares about vertical when it is sheer ice anyway. It is not the size that matters, it is about conditions!

Summit altitude is actually a moot point you are right. The skiable elevation is what matters. A summit of 6000' with a base lodge at 4500' leaves only a 1500' mountain for arguments sake. Marble is 1700' ( could have swore it was 1900' ) from about 30' above sea level.

I'd rather take a ride on a slow crippled double and ride a snow covered hill any day over a mountain made of ice and meat gates...just saying :D

All I can tell ya is that over the past weekend CF had the best conditions I have seen there in a decade. I went skiing on Fri (lessons for my GF), freeriding on Sat (giving lessons to the public) and hardbooting on Sun (play time!). There was an inch or two of well groomed packed powder, no icy spots and sunshine for most of the weekend. I was in seventh heaven laying trenches all over the place!

http://www.skimarble.com/themountain.asp

Anyone up for a trip to this one? 518m vert.... Yes we actually call it a Mountain.

Hey Chris,

Let me know when you are going! I have been to Nfld many times, just never made it up to the penninsula to ride Marble Mtn. This is definitely on my bucket list! Moreover, now that I am dating a Newfie, I have one less excuse for not getting there :).

Cheers,

Brian

:lol: 'meat gates'... lol... that's f*#%ing awesome! I actually like that game, as long as the density isn't too high. Man, at Calabogie on Sunday, they had a race course set up on Whistlin' Paddy (pretty narrow run), so I included the race course in my carving terrain - not going down the course, but carving across it, then back out around one or two of the gates. Very frickin' fun. Then they put out STUBBIES, and it was like dessert :eplus2:

Man, I'm two weeks behind finding this thread. Where's the love guys, no heads up? :rolleyes: Who's up for:

• Cascades tomorrow night?
  • Mont Blanc either Sat. Feb 4th or Sat. Feb 11th?

Cheers!