Note to New Members ×

Ottawa 2011/12

CaRtharsis

I was there last night from 7 till close. Spent most of the night on the far side carving up the steep bits. I saw one other carver on our last run up the quad but was on my way into the bar after that run.

Didn't see any sign of you Brian. You sure you were at Cascades.....? ;-)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are night and day to the Dalbellos I tried earlier in the year. I will never go back to ski boots now.

Last season I tried ridding Kryptons I'd picked up at a killer price on TGR, and it was so painful that I had to call it quits after 3 runs. My feet were numb, yet somehow still in a considerable amount of pain. Just sitting on the chair had me feeling like I was never going to be able to use my feet again.

I recently went to get the intuition liners cooked by a guy named Chris at Kundstadt in Kanata. He also suggested I yank my footbeds, as the boots were a tight squeeze. I was previously riding in 27 Raichles and my foot was slipping around a bit, so I dropped to a 26.5 when I got the Kryptons and I can barely squeeze in/out of them. The bake, as well as the removal of the footbeds made a world of difference. I also snapped the buckles on the loosest setting to ride, and despite some heel lift on the back foot, everything was fine and very responsive. I'd read about riding with your buckles undone to improve, and I didn't really have any trouble with the loose setting on the boots, as they're naturally tight fit.

Also, the Kryptons were not as stiff as some make them out to be. I was reading about ski boots needing an F2 binding for some flex, but I had no issue with the Cateks I was running. I may need to punch out the toe box on my left foot, but everything else seems fine at the moment. Mind you, I'm still working these boots in.

All this to say that you might not want to forget about the Dalbellos right away. I was considering giving them up, but I'm glad I took the time to make a few adjustments. However, with the wider stance I've set on my board, snapping in at the top of the hill is annoying, and I'm worried I might get my pass pulled for muttering obscenities as I snap in AND try to push myself back up to a standing position so to start my run.

Step-ins seem nice, but I'm paranoid about release issues. However, Chris is a bigger guy than I am, so I'm assuming if everything's set-up correctly, that shouldn't be a concern. I'm sure that with every passing season, step-ins will seem far more appealing.

Hi Keyser.

The Dalbellos were quite comfortable to wear, they were hard to squeeze into and take off, but once on they gave me no pain during the four hours of riding. They seemed to have some forward/rearward flex but absolutly no lateral flex. My cateks were tilted and canted almost to the limits to put my legs where needed. cruising on the slopes was ok, but when I started traversing rough spots I found that I could not absorb more than one hit before being bucked off, two closely spaced bumps and I was on my ass.

The Raichles on the other hand seem to allow my lower legs to absorb the rough, or not even transmit the bumps further up than my ankles. I have been able to reduce the tilt and cant on the bindings significantly, and have been able to widen out to a 510mm width stance from a 480mm. Both feet at 55deg. I have thermal molded foot beds in the Raichles that would not fit into the Dalbellos, both boots are a 26, but like you found out, there doesnt seem to be room for a foot and a footbed in the Dalbellos.

Clamping in with both boots was an equally taxing experiance, I don't remember having that much trouble when I was a teenager! Looking forward to the stepins.

Chris's Catek experiance was not about being ejected, he actually had a sperical nut fail while riding, the power plate, and bails stayed with his boot, and the base plate and angle plate left with his board. Nothing he could have done to prevent that! Other Catek users i've spoken to have never had a problem. I think it may be prudent to disassemble and inspect this part on occasion.

Graham, what made doing up the bindings so taxing? Just curious.

The only thing to be aware of before you switch to step-ins is that they are much stiffer laterally than 'standard' versions of the same bindings. I'm an advocate of fairly flexy boots and bindings. Are you looking to step-into your current Cateks?

Graham, what made doing up the bindings so taxing? Just curious.

The only thing to be aware of before you switch to step-ins is that they are much stiffer laterally than 'standard' versions of the same bindings. I'm an advocate of fairly flexy boots and bindings. Are you looking to step-into your current Cateks?

Depending on how you set up your bindings you can provide some degree of safe play in the interface.

The Cateks were nice for the adjustability. You can have most of that with the TD's, and the security of no single point failure mode. Once you have been riding a while and get most of that sorted out you really no longer need to play with them that much. Yes I am a big Guy. Yes I ride hard. I was bending my VSR today into about 4m circles. If you've ever seen it you would know that is no easy feat. Not once did the issue of binding failure cross my mind. I had more concern for how long my $6k engine build is going to hold together on the drive home. Just sayin.

Ian, The fit between my bindings and Raichles is such that the toe block can be either slightly loose or slightly tight, I chose to make it slightly tight to err on the side of caution. It almost requires two hands to clamp down the toe lever, when sitting on the ground with both feet twisted at 55deg, both knees bent and one hand behind me holding me up I find I have a hard time geting the required leverage to clamp in with the other hand. It was a bit easier with the Dalbelo's as the blocks could be adjusted to a position that was not to tight or loose. I'm sure that with practice this will get better, but I like the idea of just stepping in and going. Like I said, I'm not as flexable as I remember!

^ Right, that does sound difficult. I guess Bomber and F2 bindings have a better provision for sole length micro-adjust. You're wise to err on the tight side, I tried 'looser' one time on my Burton race plates, and when I crashed my front foot came out. Not cool!

^ Chris, I want to see those little circles! :biggthump I'm finally starting to feel better today - it's been 24 hours since I began bombing my cold with the maximum RDI's of vitamin C and echinacea, and I feel way more human already.

Yes I am a big Guy. Yes I ride hard. I was bending my VSR today into about 4m circles. If you've ever seen it you would know that is no easy feat. Not once did the issue of binding failure cross my mind. I had more concern for how long my $6k engine build is going to hold together on the drive home. Just sayin.

4m! That's VSR... 4m-12m :rolleyes:

Speaking of circles, I was doing bottom of the run 360 carves the other night and one group of softbooters were waiting at the bottom at Vorlage (the boyfriends with no helmets were trying to teach their girlfriends with helmets) apparently watching me as I carved wide down the last pitch. Anywho, I did my first full 360* (usually I do 270's), just cranked it around tight, went to line up at the lift and one of the guys said, "DUUUUUDE! That was sick!". The rest of the night they were trying to do the same but would do these super wide 30m+ 180's...although one guy came close and the other kept nearly missing the fence by the lift. Funny to watch though, both the teaching of their gf's and attempts of softboot carving 360's. Snow was amazing btw.

Just advise you guys, small informal carver's gathering at Val St-Come, next sunday the nineteen. Nice mountain to know, pretty close to you. More infos, please check in the QC section, they call this ''rasemblement .....bla bla bla.'' I hope to meet you again. I will be there with my girl friend, Thanks again caRtharsis for the scoope about the new nirvana freecarving board , I received a mail with more specs details this morning. Seems to be a pretty neat board ; )

Hi Keyser.

The Dalbellos were quite comfortable to wear, they were hard to squeeze into and take off, but once on they gave me no pain during the four hours of riding. They seemed to have some forward/rearward flex but absolutly no lateral flex. My cateks were tilted and canted almost to the limits to put my legs where needed. cruising on the slopes was ok, but when I started traversing rough spots I found that I could not absorb more than one hit before being bucked off, two closely spaced bumps and I was on my ass.

The Raichles on the other hand seem to allow my lower legs to absorb the rough, or not even transmit the bumps further up than my ankles. I have been able to reduce the tilt and cant on the bindings significantly, and have been able to widen out to a 510mm width stance from a 480mm. Both feet at 55deg. I have thermal molded foot beds in the Raichles that would not fit into the Dalbellos, both boots are a 26, but like you found out, there doesnt seem to be room for a foot and a footbed in the Dalbellos.

Clamping in with both boots was an equally taxing experiance, I don't remember having that much trouble when I was a teenager! Looking forward to the stepins.

Chris's Catek experiance was not about being ejected, he actually had a sperical nut fail while riding, the power plate, and bails stayed with his boot, and the base plate and angle plate left with his board. Nothing he could have done to prevent that! Other Catek users i've spoken to have never had a problem. I think it may be prudent to disassemble and inspect this part on occasion.

Thanks for this, Graham. Out of curiosity, which Dalbello model are you talking about?

And you're right about the lack of lateral flex, but I don't tend to stray far from the groomed stuff.

Just advise you guys, small informal carver's gathering at Val St-Come, next sunday the nineteen. Nice mountain to know, pretty close to you. More infos, please check in the QC section, they call this ''rasemblement .....bla bla bla.'' I hope to meet you again. I will be there with my girl friend, Thanks again caRtharsis for the scoope about the new nirvana freecarving board , I received a mail with more specs details this morning. Seems to be a pretty neat board ; )

Thank you for passing along the invitation Steve. I saw it on the QC board, but at 250km it's getting a bit far for a day trip. Maybe next year when there's no ECES? I'll travel farther in March too, after ECES when our local conditions deteriorate faster than the big hills...

^ Yeah man, Cascades last night was very good. It was snowing up there, although the snow did get us pretty wet. It was quieter than usual after all of the buses left at 7:30pm. Chris, Tabby, and I were all out.

I'm up for Calabogie/MSM on Sunday, and then probably another two days during the week. Monday is family day, so I suggest skipping that one. Is Deb up for her first carving lesson next week?

Ian :)

Vorlage tomorrow morning.

I might see you there, feeling slightly under the weather. If I'm going I'll be there for first lift on the far double...and no, I'm not talking bunny hill ;)

FYI I have a couple $10 off day passes which are normally $35...so $25

Edited by Hilux

I'm up for Calabogie/MSM on Sunday, and then probably another two days during the week. Monday is family day, so I suggest skipping that one. Is Deb up for her first carving lesson next week?

Ian :)

I'd be up for Calabogie over MSM only b/c I haven't been there yet this year...but I might be able to be persuaded otherwise. I'll check the conditions of each...

Side note; does anyone know where to get cable locks in town? I suppose my combo bike lock would work but need something that also works with skis.