Note to New Members ×

Thinking about heading to Salt Lake, need info

SEJ

Gretchen and I are supposed to go up to Tahoe in a week, and this is a problem.

#1 There's no snow, the resorts that are open have about 10% of the terrain open.

#2 Even though we booked this week last year, I was JUST informed that my timeshare membership has expired as of Jan 1. (30 years) If I want to pay the $700 plus maintainence fee up front I can still use the week.

I really don't want SES to be our first day on the snow.

So, Salt Lake City is about a 12 hour drive, only 2 more than Bend OR. So I'm thinking, screw the condo, road trip time.

How's the snow there? Sounds like the whole country is hurting, but is most of the terrain open in your area? Where's a good place to stay? We don't need anything fancy, just a good bed and a hot tub that's hot.

Where's the good riding?

Most important, if we do this, we would like to hook up with some of the people from SLC that we have come to know at SES (or any other Bomber. Best way to ride a hill you don't know is to follow somebody that does.) Billy, Dave, Kevin, help me out here.

Hey Billy, I've been flying a trainer kite for a while, love to try kite boarding.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

Because it's SNOWING right now in Salt Lake. So you are thinking of coming next week? Looks like no more snow after today, but forecast to remain cold,so the snow should stay good. Limited terrain open and groomed at Solitude, but what they have been grooming has been great. From Billy and Daves vids, looks like Park City is good also.I would think Snowbasin would be good too. Be great to ride with you guys! I'll let Kevin know you're thinking of coming. Could be a party;-)

Ron

Great to hear from you Ron! At this point I'd say it's a 90% go. Talked to a friend that's made the trip and he told me it's more like 10 hours. Maybe a few days in SLC, then head to Summit County? I've heard that's about 4 hours further. Hey Fin, hows the snow?

Snowbasin was nice today but primarily has only two long runs open. The Strawberry side has very little terrain open. The John Paul lift hasn't opened yet. You're confined to the two main runs from the Needles gondola. But those runs are fun. Oh, the Porcupine lift is open as well.

Those of you who saw the recent bad publicity about Snowbasin's host/patrol chewing out some snowboarders would be interested in knowing that there are now fences on that particular run that will force skiers & riders to slow down. Sucks because that is a major thoroughfare and there are times when there are few or no people on it. Great time to carve it! I'm not sure if patrol will have fence there daily or just on weekends.

Scott, if you're at 'basin on Friday-Sunday, I'd be glad to meet & ride with you.

Just rode most of the Utah resorts with clients recently. Solitude was just ok, less groomed than usual, the Bird was fair coverage but not many groomers. Brighton was the best of the Cottonwoods.

Park City has the most snowmaking and is in the best shape with plenty of big wide groomers with excellent coverage.

I went to Basin and the Strawberry area made my base look a season old! In addition, there was also a Patroller standing at the location of the"Incident"!

PC would get my vote, I'm actually teaching a multi-day Private with a woman learning to ride Alpine from the East Coast and she is loving the conditions!

About a dozen good groomers open, it's super cold at night (8 deg last night, 32 daytime high), they are blowing overnight, eight times the yield for same amount of air and water at 15 deg as opposed to 32 deg! More runs opening soon.

If you do come, let me know and I'll try to find sometime to ride with you, avoid Saturdays, they get busy.

Thanks to everybody for the info. We are coming. Plan on driving up next Sunday. Sounding like PC is one of the better places.

Ron, you're coming through, I've just been so damn busy I haven't had time to respond. See ya in a few days.

Scott

This is the long range for the Wasatch. Finally!!!*.

" After plastering the northwest US with some seriously heavy snowfall, these systems are expected to start affecting Utah with some possibly significant snow storms next Thursday/ Friday, and next weekend. Significant snow storms are expected to finish off the month of January, distinguishing the last 2 weeks from the first 2 by a large margin (of snow totals)."

Looks like carving Wednesday, powder Thursday!

Scott,

Sorry I didn't get this out sooner, I see you are headed this way for some boarding. Do you need a place to stay? I've got plenty of extra room and you guys are welcome. Give me a call. I may be away from the phone a lot tomorrow but leave a message and I'll call you back.

Kevin 907-209-4959

Howdy,

I just got back from riding Snowbasin today. I have to agree with EmDee about the conditions on the Strawberry side of the mountain, Rugged would be too kind to describe it right now.

After getting into our bindings and starting the traverse down to the runs, I looked down and it seemed to be as if suddenly I am riding in a GRAVEL PIT! The base of my Coiler was still a virgin, even after riding it all of last season, until one mistaken "hey let's check out Strawberry from my riding cohorts.

Long story short, if you are riding at Snowbasin avoid the Strawberry side unless you REALLY hate your board.

Aww well nothing a good base grind and structure can't cure.

Mick

It was cool to get a few runs in with you guys before my lesson (sorry I had to be in soft boots!). Missed some great carving conditions but at least the 4 day lesson ended with a 4-figure tip!!!!

Have fun Scott...the snow coming is being talked about in feet rather than inches!