Guest thomas_m

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest thomas_m

Well I wasn't surprised by mistaking snowboard hardboots for ski boots. It was the "sometimes THEY do IT that way", you know the 'they' and 'it' part. It was like he was talking about some other animal species' preference for, uhhh, hmmm, you know, certain positions...

I didn't respond. Too busy having fun to try to educate people who don't give a damn anyway...

T.

Guest thomas_m

Whoopsie, got tired of waiting for Schittay Pass to open.

Been to T-Line once and Baker once. Was going to Crystal on Monday but I've already had one core-shot this season so decided not to brave the 12" base...

May go back to Baker this Sat but kinda doubtful. Definitely going to baker next Wednesday unless the weather is really, really bad.

Here's some pics from Baker last week. Lot's of pow was had. Got stuck up to my waist once...

http://www.crowmountain.net/Temp/baker_120504/

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by jason_watkins

thomas_m: crap, the way things are going down here, I think the gf and I need to make a mt baker trip. Any tips on loding in glacier?

Glacier isn't exactly a sprawling metroplis... LOL. If it was me, I'd probably get a cheap room in Bellingham and do the hour+ drive. At lest you'd have more choices for dinner, etc.

Here are the listings from their website:

http://www.mtbaker.us/info0405/fs_accomm.html

You should come over to SeattleSnowboarding and post the question. There are several Baker locals posting there:

http://www.snowboardseattle.com/forums/index.php?

T.

WAY back in '89, on the Starship Gondola at Stratton with a group of skiiers.....

Q: "What's that?"

A: "It's a Snowboard m'am."

(Everyone back then it seemed had to be a polite ambassador of the sport)

Q:" Oh, one of THOSE things. Kind of a new fad, isn't it new this year?"

A: "No m'am. Folks have been doing it for a good 10 years now m'am."

All the while thinking... We're at JAKE'S home mountain. You think they's have a little clue? But obviously not, because a minute later, they looked down at the huge 1/2 pipe at Stratton and said... "I wonder what that ditch is for?"

or one of two other scenarios, still repeated almost every time I go.

Scenario 1)

Q:"You're a snowboarder, eh?"

A: "Yes m'am/sir."

Skiier statement: "I hate snowboarders. They always scape away the powder so us skiers have nothing but Ice to ski on. I wish they didn't allow snowboarding." (Then the 300 pound wildebeest proceeds to get off the lift and either:

A) sideslip turn down the whole mountain on their 150's

B) pie turn down the whole mountain on their 150's

Scenario 2)

Skiier statement: "I hate snowboarders. I always hear them coming with that awful scraping sound. I fall because I cant concentrate with that awful noise they make. I wish they didn't allow snowboarding." (Then the 300 pound wildebeest proceeds to get off the lift and either:

Scenario 1)

Skiier statement: "I hate snowboarders. They always scape away the powder so us skiers have nothing but Ice to ski on. I wish they didn't allow snowboarding." (Then the 300 pound wildebeest proceeds to get off the lift and either:

Scenario 2)

Skiier statement: "I hate snowboarders. I always hear them coming with that awful scraping sound. I fall because I cant concentrate with that awful noise they make. I wish they didn't allow snowboarding." (Then the 300 pound wildebeest proceeds to get off the lift and either:

**** them. That is a horrible attitude, completely unfair to us. Some people just can't think for themselves, or don't want to. Honestly, I'd probably give them a piece of my mind b/c I'm sort of fiery like that (esp. after listening to what I listen to when riding), but I guess the best thing would be to kill them with kidness and politely challenge their beliefs. It's just disturbing to hear people still think like this.

===

Barry

Hey Tom, you wouldn't have gotten stuck if you were on your new Rad-Air Tanker!!! (big grin)

Wednesday at Timberline/ Mt Hood. As I launched from the lower lodge burm to get some speed up. Hey Dude! Check out the Skawl. I was empressed that the young guy knew what a Skwal was first of all. I run pretty steep angles so in his defense it would be easy to miss identify the set up.

I have heard a few over the years that stand out.

"So, is that LIKE a snowboard?"

"How do you like that ? My friend really loves his, you don't see many MONO-SKIS any more!"

When I am on my Tanker 2000, typically in the lift line. Kid pulls up. First looks at my board, then slides the nose of his even with mine. Then looks at the tail, then looks up with his mouth open , stupid look on his face. "So DUDE, is that like a 180?".

My reply is usually , "Sort of , except 20cm longer" etc.

Wednesday on the Palmer (highest , steepest available run currently on Mt Hood" The grooming was better than expected and it was fully carveable. Found I had skiers shadowing me. A few eventually managed to get next to me to ask the typical questions and even some very nice comments.

Like , Is that as much fun as it looks? , I have never seen anything like that!! Can I use my ski boots? Dude, that is SIC!!

Etc.

It is all "Sliding" , we alpine riders just happen to frickin RIP!! Enjoy!!

Guest thomas_m

S'up Bryan! Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking up at Baker that day for the first three runs or so until it got crowded and bumped up. "Damn! I wish I had the Tanker..." The blues under chair 8 with some new snow look perfect for that board. Can't wait...

I didn't bring it because of the core-shot you saw in my Option when I went to Timberline. Dodn't want another one but it would have been fine, plenty of base up there on what they call groomers.

Best,

Thomas

Hi Thomas, cool! Good to hear you scored some good pow at Baker!

We have been just milking the T-Line low angle. Hey, it is just good to be turning. Lots of hazards, my gear has been taking a beating too. Meadows opens Saturday with 18" and SNOWMAKING. Yep, tell me it ain't going to be marginal at best.

Times are getting desperate here in the PNW. Good to hear from you, hope the snow start hitting us hard from here on out.

www.skihood.com for details

Enjoy, Bryan

Originally posted by Fleaman

Last year at Sunshine Village, I was ripping some sweet long gs carves on Goat's Eye and I had a couple say they have never seen anything so smooth before, they were in awe. Needless to say, it boosted my ego like 10.

those are the BEST. Especially comin from lifties or ski patrol. nice one

Guest Jim Pryor

Right when I think the comments and questions have all been said and asked, someone comes up with something stupendous. Right before Thanksgiving at Mammoth the perfect family skiis up to me and the 10 year old boy with the 600 dollar Volkls asks "is that a snowboard?" His parents just look at me like I'm from another planet. Or the standard question "Is that board fast?". How bout "I've got to try one of those out" "Is that a race board?" Or "are they hard to turn?" "Are those ski boots?" "Can you ride fakie on that board?" "Do those bindings release?" "Can you jump on that board?" Well I can't wait for the next show stopper. jp