Note to New Members ×

the fear

kieran

our season just started, was out today on the volkl gs and had a fine time in narrow conditions.

i've got my boards in the front room where i can admire them, trouble is the donek 184gs keeps giving me lip when i walk past, calling me things like "big girls blouse", "wussboy", "ch-ch-chicken", "pantywaist" and most insultingly .. "skier".

how do i put this board in its place? :biggthump

My purple 185 carbon GS Identity used to do that to me.

6337098155_a3bbf5cac8.jpg

Even though it's was a factory reject I let it intimidate me for years before I finally cut back the unfinished sidewalls, dug out the inserts, and tuned it up.

1st time out was a bit tentative, But the 2nd time was hero semi soft cord:biggthump we cooperated, made the biggest carves of my life and left the hill smilin' big.

It still calls me a wuss when its icy hard and I leave it in the rack but we have mutual respect on good snow days.

"how do i put this board in its place? :biggthump"

take her out the next premium snow day and teach her some respect.

It's place is under your feet on wide open corduroy:cool:

Try moving your bindings a bit more forward on the inserts, that'll make the nose feel softer.

Other than that, take it out on a good snow day and push the nose ridiculously hard into the snow as soon as you tip it on edge. Basically you want to bend it into an arc before the G-forces help you. Once you get the timing right you'll get the board turning hard, then the G-forces will keep it bent and you'll rocket around to the next turn. Make sure you have some speed up on a run you're very comfortable doing this on.

The softer the snow, the less hard you can push without folding the nose. I find this initial push to decamber the board is key to riding the board instead of the board riding you.

picking my day and slope will be the thing then. there are really only two valid runs i can get away with using it on until i learn to bend it at will.

bindings are mounted on the outside sets of inserts, so i'm as wide as i can go without introducing binding flex.

yeah, current board that does that is the NSR+asym, less forgiving than the regular NSR in tight spots at lower speeds.

past board that was scary was a mega stiff prior 185 GS

most of the time it's the stiffness that kills me not so much the length.

our season just started, was out today on the volkl gs and had a fine time in narrow conditions.

i've got my boards in the front room where i can admire them, trouble is the donek 184gs keeps giving me lip when i walk past, calling me things like "big girls blouse", "wussboy", "ch-ch-chicken", "pantywaist" and most insultingly .. "skier".

how do i put this board in its place? :biggthump

Give it to a 5'10" skinnyish Sassenach who will kick 7 types of sh%!e out of it. I have given it a little slap last season but give me a chance this winter and it will be crying for mercy at the end of the day. :eplus2:

Give it to a 5'10" skinnyish Sassenach who will kick 7 types of sh%!e out of it. I have given it a little slap last season but give me a chance this winter and it will be crying for mercy at the end of the day. :eplus2:
yes indeed. maybe this year you'll have more than 7m width of piste to ride the tail on. :biggthump