Note to New Members ×

Cateks on Metal?

Jonny

What are your thoughts?

My first metal board is on it's way, courtesy of J. Deere - a Coiler Chubby - topsheet isn't metal. Bruce V likes some kind of buffer between board and binding, although he also says he hasn't seen any failures. Mine are the original Catek step-in design which has a rubber ring around just the outer rim of the base plate -not the dual durometer deals. It does seem that with that king-pin pulling UP and everything else working DOWN, there is potential for a nasty point-load right at the outer edge of the binding.

The Racer-Spacer looks like a good idea, but Catek seems to be unreachable these days and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just shop-make something. That would require longer screws of course, which seems like it would impose another stress.

Thoughts?

Search "spacers" you'll get all the answers you want. The guy that built your board would know best. Personally I would not take a chance by not using them.

I use 3/16" 'Polycarbonate' to make them as it has better flex characteristics than 'Plexiglass'. Chamfer & deburr all holes and edges.

Polycarbonate is the name of the material (not the manufacturers name). Lexan is a Polycarbonate manufactured by GE and popular, but their are many others out there.

1) I have never seen a problem with Cateks on a coiler, or a Donek that was attributable to the binding. Only boards that I know had a problem with this are early Kesslers and some SG's.

2) I made a set of homemade plates and no longer bother with them. Where do you ride? They can be yours for . . . I don't know. . . cost of material? 2$? Just can't be bothered to package them for shipping.

1) I have never seen a problem with Cateks on a coiler, or a Donek that was attributable to the binding. Only boards that I know had a problem with this are early Kesslers and some SG's.

2) I made a set of homemade plates and no longer bother with them. Where do you ride? They can be yours for . . . I don't know. . . cost of material? 2$? Just can't be bothered to package them for shipping.

Many thanks - if I can't put something together I'll get in touch. I ride mostly western MA and southern Vt...