Note to New Members ×

Has anyone ever been to Big Mountain MT?

Allee

Big Mt. is great for carving. There have been many snowboard raceing legonds from Big Mt. Allee are you male or female. The reason I ask is if you are a female keep your wits about you in the bars at night, Rob Berney still lives in the area and is always looking for a cute hard boot snowboard gal.

As the subject says, Big Mountain ROCKS! Oh, sorry Kent beat me to it. so, Big Mountain kicks some serious ski area butt! I've been there once, but it's in my top 3 favorite mountains.

Lots of great carving. Lots of great inbounds 'backcountry.' Lots of snow. Friendly locals. No lift lines, no crowds.

And yeah: Fog and COLD. Did I mention the fog and the cold?

I'm glad to see the glowing reviews. The child bride (she's only 52) and I are looking into places to retire (still about 6-7 years off and Kalispell/Whitefish is at the top of the short list. I've never been out there but everything I've researched looks great.

Other considerations (any thoughts on these?):

Missoula, MT

Bozeman, MT

Durango, CO

Wenatchee, WA

Bend, OR

By far, the best resource for finding great retirement communities is findyourspot.com

I''d also like to find a mountain with a good racing program (board and ski).

Thanks as always for the guidance this forum delivers!

Pat Moore

Originally posted by patmoore

I'm glad to see the glowing reviews. The child bride (she's only 52) and I are looking into places to retire (still about 6-7 years off and Kalispell/Whitefish is at the top of the short list. I've never been out there but everything I've researched looks great.

Other considerations (any thoughts on these?):

Missoula, MT

Bozeman, MT

Durango, CO

Wenatchee, WA

Bend, OR

By far, the best resource for finding great retirement communities is findyourspot.com

I''d also like to find a mountain with a good racing program (board and ski).

Thanks as always for the guidance this forum delivers!

Pat Moore

I can't comment on the racing programs, but Both Big Sky and Bridger Bowl near Bozeman are great. I only got to ski Bridger 1 day, but it was quite memorable. Not much carving there, but for off piste terrain, Bridger is quite the place. Think Mad River Glen, but with more snow, and more terrain.

Kalispel/Whiltefish is a great area: Glacier Natl Park, Big MTN, etc, but from what I remember, there is more 'civilization' around Bozeman. I might be wrong on this though!

Personally, I'd be happy at either place, but the proximity to Canada is a plus in my mind for Whitefish; Canada skiing not too far away! Another plus is Glacier Park, and the views/scenery is nothing short of magnificent.

Of course, Bozeman is relatively close to Yellowstone, and the views/scenery is just as grand around Bozeman as Whitefish.

If I dropped everything and went to Montana, Whitefish would be my first stop.

Another argument for Whitefish is the closer proximity to Fernie. My oldest daughter's boyfriend lives in Calgary and has been singing the praises of that undiscovered gem.

I'm glad to hear you liked Bridger Bowl. I understand it's community owned and very reasonably priced. We're going totry to take a trip out there this summer to get a feel for where we ultimately retire. Every community I mentioned boasts at least a two year college nearby, great cultural attractions, spectacular views, and reasonable (for now) housing costs. If I could be assured or a year-round rental, I might consider buying a place in Montana in anticipation of moving out there permanently.

Tommy, do you anticipate getting up to Okemo this winter? I don't get to Stratton too often (we may be there on March 13th - it's a Council Awareness Day with a $28 tickef for members of the Connecticut Ski Council).

Started going to The Big Mountain some 15 years ago when lift tickets were only 29 dollars!

The Voodoo Fog is the only down fall and night life at the Village but if you go with some people who cares!

Best Carving spot ever.. why Idon't go every year is due to...... yep the fog.. and the $$$ I Have been doing the Canadia Carving spots.. but now its not so much a bargain anymore for Canada. So back to Big Mountain we go!

Its ME, Mellow, Helmut, Paul K and a few others.. oh and one ski bum! we got a couple of condos and what not..

The runs are wide!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed's run is a steady pitch blue thats like a football field wide! and the grooming is awesome..its a pretty good secret spot.. so don't post anything or tell anyone! but bring a powder board in case.. this place gets some snow!

As for racing,, when I used to go.. there was about 4 guys from the Alpine team that trained here,,Steve Persons was from here..as was Tommy Moe! Mom still lives at the bottom..

Awesome place!

Jan 21st thru the 29th

Right said Shred

Originally posted by patmoore

Tommy, do you anticipate getting up to Okemo this winter? I don't get to Stratton too often (we may be there on March 13th - it's a Council Awareness Day with a $28 tickef for members of the Connecticut Ski Council).

I have no plans for Okemo this year (I have a Stratton Express card) but I might make an exception or two. Just after xmas I would like to hit Sunapee, but I might run out of time.

I'll also be carving up Mohawk MTN Friday mornings, once that mountain(bump) gets going for the season.