Note to New Members ×

Alpine coaster

Allee

Awesome!! That is an incredible alpine coaster!! Is there anything even close to that in North America?

Google/Youtube for "Alpine Slide". It's more like a summer bobsled, not like that new monorail thing. At a glance I see one at Park City. There is one out here in New Hampshire at Attitash ski area. I've done it a few times, it's great fun. You sit on this little cart that has plastic sliders on the bottom. You control it with a throttle/brake lever between your legs. Push forward and wheels go down lifting half the sliders off the track. Pull back and rubber brakes go down. Let the lever rest in "neutral" and neither the wheels nor brakes contact the track, just the sliders.

These guys are going pretty slow at first, but you get the idea.

(There is no crash landing or wipeout, not sure what they're talking about. I don't know these people. But yes, it is very possible to leave the track if you don't use the brakes.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TxRYFh73jcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[quote name= I don't know these people. But yes' date=' it is very possible to leave the track if you don't use the brakes.)

[/quote]

There is an alpine slide at Lutsen Mt. in Minnesota. We went there for summer vacation a couple of years in a row when I was about 12-13 and my brother was 8-9. We used to race down the slide ( two tracks next to each other). I vividly remember stopping at the bottom and watching three people get off before my brother did. He took a header on the slide, slid on his face and body and left the track. Even though he showed up at the bottom wimpering and crying I laughed just like a good brother should!

Jack is right, we do have one at Park City, I was the Lead on the ride for the last 3 summers. They are great fun as you can go full speed the entire way until the last few yards.

Top speed is about 35mph with one person, but with a 2nd adult in (total max combined 500lbs) you can go 10 secs faster! You can also pull 3.5Gs in the corners. It's like Space Mountain in the daylight!

There are about 6 round the country, 2 in Canada and one in Jamaica. Snowbird almost got one, but it got voted out.

Sorry, I met a victim of the alpine slide at WP one summer. He did wipeout once the sliding pad got out from underneath him and he nearly tore his ear off.....lots of nice stitching although I would have used prolene...

With the Alpine SLIDE at Park City, people fall out daily and get road rash all summer, but the Alpine COASTER is on rails and you are strapped in, so it's flat out the whole way!

One of our office people looked it up - the cost is about $180 per ride. Totally worth it, IMO. I paid more than that to bungy jump and it only lasted half as long.

And there's your incentive to stay off the brakes ... a second run costs too much.:):)