Note to New Members ×

Boy Survives Frightening Moments Dangling from Chairlift (includes video)

Pat Donnelly

I can't think of a European chair without a bar, and most of them have foot rests which are useful for those of us who fancy a rest. You're generally required to put the bar down, and there's absolutely no problem/ issue with getting out of it all at the top station.

I have noticed the whole "macho" thing in the US, which is kind of weird when you consider the US penchant for helmets, lawyers and stuff. I abuse your friendly hospitality and politely put the bar down... chairs can stop quickly and I don't want to have to even think about hanging onto them.

People in a coma can sue for lots of damages, whereas dead people get nothing. It's one of those things you learn in law school - if you're going to negligently injure somebody, make sure you kill them.

In the case you cited, the coma dude lost his case under Colorado common law, but won on appeal due to the specifics of some Colorado statutes. Without having read those statutes it's hard to know why he won.

The US is lawsuit crazy because there is minimal disincentive for filing a weak case. With nothing to lose people think they may as well roll the dice and see what they win. In Australia the loser usually has to pay the winner's legal costs, so people only file lawsuits if their case is strong.

but i do try to control it. I'll be the first to put a hand on it so i don't get it in the back of the head. Usually rest an arm on it for the ride and then take care of raising it to not lose teeth.

easy pattern to adopt and control can be relinquished or shared if another rider wants to be the bartender

I know there's a few sliders from my club that are thankful for mandatory bar use. We had a cable go between the counterweight and bottom bullwheel. Bullwheel collapsed narrowly missing 4people loading. The entire line then danced like a bungee cord. Nobody was ejected they all had bars down. No serious injuries that day, only some broken bones and bruises. Could easily have had several cases for the intensive care unit.

Phil is right regarding euro lifts, and the first time i sat in Aspen on the buttermilk chair i looked around to see where the bar was, and it was nowhere to be found... I suffer vertigo pretty easy and even on this not too high chair, i had to grab the frame in order to feel comfy....The absence of feet rest is also a bummer, since hardboots are heavy, and the cantilever you have with a front foot and the board can be painful after a long day of riding!

So i'd like to see the stats of fatal injuries of chairlifts without protection vs chairlift equiped with them!! What is a bit weird on the kid accident, is that the chairlift alarm didn't stopped moving, since it usually has a small switch that catches legs crossing it after the 180° turn...

N.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by mirror70

A locker also means you need to stop to get anything from it, and also means that you need to either go up or down to get to it. At places like Killington or Stowe with multiple bases, getting something from your locker could be a real pain in the butt.

Mt Baker here is the same way. To get back to base from some areas means you have to take another chair up to some other part of the mountain then board over somewhere else and so on.

I'm going to start carrying a small backpack with a hydration bladder init myself.

Originally posted by trailertrash

i once went all the way arround on a chair, i was too short and couldnt get off the chair. then, since i was so short, my skiis didnt hit the bar that would have stopped the chair so i went down came back up and tried it again.

\

ha! serious?

Originally posted by Crave2carve

Can someone cooler or wiser ... extra weight high off the ground) ....Thanks.

IN addition to all the other good reasons, this is a big one for me. I spent at least as much time in the backcountry as on lifts, and I find it easier to be USED to that extra weight, at least some of it. Otherwise when I am out on a overnight trip with a bigger pack I am too off balance. A few years ago I had a 6000ft descent with a sopping wet, super full pack that felt like a 120 lb. monkey jumping around as I tried to ride down, and after that I always have a little pack at least when I ride.

And I love ducking into the woods for a quiet lunch of good healthy cheap food instead of waiting in line or sitting in the car for lunch.

As to the chairlift bars, a lot of my peers here in Washington call them sissy bars, and I have been knocked hard in the head (6'2") when someone just flipped one down more than once. That look some of you have seen when you ask to put it down means "this lift is short, that thing is a pain for tall people, are you kidding?" (but thanks for ASKING, instead of just doing!)

That said, it was a bit of an adjustment when I moved out from the Midwest, but I switched to hardboots at about the same time, and the lack of strap pressure, and comfy feet, allowed me to get used to the hanging board. Just ride more, your muscles can deal!

Crave2carve, if you viewed my post as a flame I'm sorry. I've been to Blue Mt. yeah not much of a reason to carry supplies for the whole day there. But in this case is about a person at Park City Mt. Resort, a place I've logged probably over 600 days and that might be a conservative number. It has over 3000 acres and over 3100 feet of vertical, and four lodges with cafaterias slattered on the mountain. This is what is base my reasoning for back packs. What you see at Blue is probably dumb kids trying to be cool, the same goes for why they wear their pants like that. As long as they are having fun and not interfering with your ability to have fun, who cares?

Originally posted by Jon G.

As to the chairlift bars, a lot of my peers here in Washington call them sissy bars, and I have been knocked hard in the head (6'2") when someone just flipped one down more than once. That look some of you have seen when you ask to put it down means "this lift is short, that thing is a pain for tall people, are you kidding?" (but thanks for ASKING, instead of just doing!)

I concur, If one more nervous novice yanks down the bar as soon as my feet leave the snow and I get tagged in the helmet...Grrrrr! I like to grab the bar first and provide some resistance as they kinda freak a little. "BAR DOWN!" Anyone ever jump off the lift into a low spot into some soft snow? I'm out....

Darwinism award is in order!

Originally posted by Gecko

There are a lot of places that don't have a bar....I can only remember one resort I rode last year that had bars and that was only on 3-4 lifts (out of like 15)...what they are expecting is that YOU are smart enough not to fall out of the chair...if not??? then Natural Selection:D

Originally posted by willywhit

I like to grab the bar first and provide some resistance as they kinda freak a little. "BAR DOWN!"

Heh - totally.

Anyone ever jump off the lift into a low spot into some soft snow? I'm out....

I've heard this can bounce the chair and cause a derailment.

1) WTF didn' the liftee at the top stop the lift when he saw that the kid couldn't get off? It's a detachable quad, so it spends a very long time at each end travelling slowly.

I believe someone else already answered this question... (heh heh...)

2) Every lift I have seen in the east has a bar at the top that stops the lift if someone doesn't get off at the top and doesn't pick up their legs. WTF happened here?

As I understand what happened, when his backpack caught, he was at the very outer-end of the chair. He was drug around on the outside of the chair, and missed the bar (If there was one) because he was too far out. Next time you ride, check out the stop bars. Most of them are desiged to catch you if you are sitting on the chair, they don't reach beyond the end of the chair. maybe after this resorts will lengthen some them to catch situations like this.....