Note to New Members ×

New boards

John E

Was in a couple of ski shops last weekend and looked at some new skis and boards (non-alpine).

Do they even make regular cambered skis or boards anymore?

On brief inspection I didn't see any skis with camber - most looked like barrel staves. I was able to find one cambered snowboard but I had to look for a while.

Is this just a fad or here to stay? Am I just an old-school old fart luddite or is it time to give this a try? For non-alpine riding has anyone here tried a reverse-camber or rocker board?

I can see that it would make learning easier but is it really better for an experienced (non-park) rider?

John.

Give them a try. They are very , VERY friendly in the pow-pow. I don't care for them on the groomers, but that is not their strength.

I bought a number of camber (old school) skis just in case a year or two ago.

I have a selection of BIG camber skis just in case they go the way of the skinny straight skis.

Snowboard wise? I have ridden the Rad Air Tanker rockered boards and a custom build by Mike Tinkler.

I can see the draw. I am sure they are sweet when everything is in balance. I am pretty heavy, probably too

heavy for the tankers I tried. I prefer my older 2003 Thanker currently. If I drop 50lbs they will probably be

sweet.

John.

Give them a try. They are very , VERY friendly in the pow-pow. I don't care for them on the groomers, but that is not their strength.

I demoed several ski last season, and I think it still comes down to construction. A couple of sheets of ti and an expensive lay up is more important than the shape and camber profile. But if you combine good construction with a decambered tip, and a compound side cut, then you have a great carving ski.

I demoed several ski last season, and I think it still comes down to construction. A couple of sheets of ti and an expensive lay up is more important than the shape and camber profile. But if you combine good construction with a decambered tip, and a compound side cut, then you have a great carving ski.

I agree. Same is true of snowboards. Tinkler built some boards with Rocker that could adjust to cambered and visa versa. Pretty cool.

I can see that it would make learning easier...
Determined in large part by what it is you are trying to learn.

Informal testing with guests over the course of last season revealed that novice riders preferred a board that was cambered, and more rigid in torsion than the current offerings.

A novice on a reverse-camber board is like a blind man with a wad of Gummi Bears stuck to the business end of his cane.

Was a VERY rockered ski invented by a Bend, Oregon Skier many years ago.

Sort of a cross between a ski, mono-ski, skwal, uni-ski and a snowboard.

Single ski with bindings mounted in line. Most used ski boots, regular binding in front and a canted non latching binding in back.

A novice on a reverse-camber board is like a blind man with a wad of Gummi Bears stuck to the business end of his cane.

That's a mind bending analogy.

I guess I thought a reverse camber board would be easier to learn on because it would be harder to catch an edge.

I thought about asking a shop salesperson about the advantages but they want to sell me one. I'd rather hear from someone who's really ridden both and can offer an objective opinion.

Last season I rode a Burton Fish (cambered) in powder for the 1st time. Compared to my regular board, it was effortless. I'm guessing a reverse cambered board would be even easier. But more fun?

I've seen skiers on hardpack on reverse camber skis and the tips and tails were flapping in the breeze. The only part of the base on the slope was underfoot. Looked to be the wrong tool for the job.

If the day starts off with powder, rarely does it last the day. So, if you start off on a dedicated powder board, you'll have to trade out as conditions change. This is rarely a practical tactic.

I demoed a couple of Burton Feelgoods last year, and one of them was reverse camber/rockered. That was the one I had on my feet when the instructor took us for a lap down the BX course. I have never been so scared in my life. It was a noodle to start with, and it wanted to go anywhere but on edge. I think I'm traumatized for life ... I'm sure they're great for pow and park, but if you wanted to ride anywhere else, I wouldn't be convinced.

I rode with a friend at Fernie last year, who was demoing a set of Salomon rockered skis his son had loaned him, and he said the same thing about those. Great in the choppy pow up in the bowls, awful on the groomers.