Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Reports 2011-2012

Yep ... Sorry I missed you guys ... I was on the lift up Stadium around 9am ...but it was all blocked off.

It was a bit too ICY for me up there anyway ... still have to master the ICY Slopes.

So went over to CASCADE Express and Vista Express and had fun with my friends over there.

I think I saw you guys at the bottom of Cascade Express when I was going up Vista... but never saw you again.

It sure was surprisingly empty today ...at least in the morning .... we left at lunch time ...

as we have been up there practically every day for a while now .... we are thinking about taking tomorrow off ...but not 100% sure yet...

anyway .... hopefully we will cross paths up there sooner or later.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bryan... thanks for the Timberline Ticket Update ....

I'm probably going to buy a Timberline Spring Pass anyway so I can ride till the end of May...

Also ...seriously thinking about the Summer Pass ..even though I said I would never go back there in the summer ..

but ..it is 50% off if you buy the SPRING PASS .... so may JUST BE WORTH it for ME this year.

but not sure if I will or will not yet ...will see how things go there in MAY first.

I'm not a big fan of all those race kids up there and being forced to ride on the side on the ungroomed areas.

BUT ...want to keep practicing as much as I can before ASPEN in Feb next year.

Hey Kelvin,

Great riding with you on Sunday! Funny that you tightened your stance -- I was kind of toying with the idea of going a bit wider again.

Gavin, too bad we didn't connect -- I saw you from the chair, but we were pretty much exactly out of phase with you. I'll hope to make some turns with you another time, and maybe get some EC pointers. :-)

Hi Dan and ??? ... Look forward to riding with you to.

So funny that you are asking ME for EC pointers ... as you can ask Bryan and many others how I bugged them for years until just before Aspen in Feb 2012.

In Feb I went to the WCS and things really changed for me there.

#1: I had help, advice and guidance for 12 days there.

I did not improve there much, if any ... BUT ... I knew what I had to try and do and what I needed to practice when I got back home.

I thought I would NEVER get it right ...then all of a sudden it started clicking.

You don't know my snowboard history ...but that is mainly because I do not have much of a Snowboard History ....

EC has been my driving force and focus since I started snowboarding a few years ago ago ...and never had anybody to guide or teach me ..

so I watched videos online and tried to teach myself ...which DID NOT WORK at ALL !!!

I swore I would go to the WCS for the past few years ... but each time it came around ... I backed out cause I did not want to spend the $$$ on going to ASPEN !!!

This Feb I made a booking ...then cancelled the trip ....then rebooked and went.

It changed EVERYTHING for me.

#2: I changed my equipment.

I went from a PRIOR 4WD with CATEK Bindings .... to using TD3 Sidewinders ....using HEAD Boots ....

I read online that I had to cut the plastic on my Head Boots and Change the springs to make them more flexible ...

I ordered the Springs ... I never installed them and was too nervous to cut away at my boots ...so did none of that stuff.

And off to Aspen I went .... with a Prior 4WD, TD3's and Head Pro Stratos Boots....

As soon as I got to the WCS ... I was told that my boots and bindings were TOO STIFF and that I needed NEW Boots and NEW Bindings and a NEW BOARD ...

They encouraged me to keep using my current gear and they did say it is more about the Rider than about the GEAR ...

but I am NOT a good rider and don't have the experience 99% of others riders have ...nor their SKILL at snowboarding ...

so I really felt that I NEEDED all the help I could get .... from the MORE CORRECT GEAR for the TASK of EC.

So they gave me one of their Boards to try with their bindings and the very flexible Reichley (how ever you spell it) boots they use.

Front Boot in the RIDE MODE ... Rear Boot in the WALK mode ...

and the boot straps as loose as possible ...especially on the BACK boot ...which was totally foreign to me ...and HARD to accept and adjust to.

I believe over the next few weeks ...

These adjustments and changes have made all the difference to me.

YOU HAVE TO GET REALLY LOW ... (putting your BUTT on your rear boot) ...

and I think that is really difficult to do with the STIFF BINDINGS and STIFF BOOTS that you guys are most likely using...

#3: My new board ... is slightly wider and shorter than my previous Prior ...

I widened my stance and INCREASED the angles of my bindings ...

My new board is also very light ... and I am sure there are MANY other technical differences which I have NO CLUE about ...

but have no doubt you guys and Bryan etc could discuss for hours ...as I have NO clue about that stuff ...

i just clip in and ride ... I know NOTHING of the TECHNICAL stuff ...as I am sure Bryan will confirm !!!

Anyway ... bottom line is ... I am BRAND NEW at this ... only been doing it since AFTER FEB 2012 ...although been trying for YEARS.

But would gladly ride with you guys and show you what to practice and what to try and do ....

But in MY case ...it may be a little bit of the BLIND LEADING THE BLIND !!!

BUT IT WILL BE FUN !!!

I always thought most of the HARD BOOTERS out there FROWNED upon those who did EC ....

So it was very nice to see you write that you wanted some pointers !!!

I have convinced my MENTOR to come out from TORONTO Canada next Spring ...

so for sure we can set up a little EC Clinic when he comes here ...

he is a GREAT guy and LOVES to spread the word about EC ...

so I know he would be STOKED to ride with you guys and REALLY ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS..

and show you all he knows ..in ways I cannot do.

For those of you who have been to the SES .... I am sure you have seen the European PURE BOARDING GUYS doing their EC stuff ....

It is a LOT of FUN .... although not so good for your clothes and gloves !!!

Not sure what I have left out ...but can talk more later ... got to see where to ride today as I have friends in town to play in the snow.

That's all for now ....

Look forward to having some fun with you on the snow.

I'm going to get a Spring Pass for Timberline as well ...possibly today.

Gavin

Edited by GavinB

Can anybody give me a link to a DETAILED Conditions Report for Timberline please.

Meadows is saying it is raining up there a bit and not so good there today.

but have friends in town that are leaving soon ..

so wondering if it is better to go to Timberline today ...

But I don't want to go up there if it is raining at all.

As much as I love snowboarding ... I am not into riding with a PONCHO !!!

Thanks so much

Gavin

Hi Bryan ...

Thanks ...

We are leaving in 15 min for Timberline...

Will look for new thread when we get back from timberline and Bonneville Hot Springs afterwards...

and will give a report on the new thread as well.

Thanks again

Gavin

Hi Bryan ...

Thanks ...

We are leaving in 15 min for Timberline...

Will look for new thread when we get back from timberline and Bonneville Hot Springs afterwards...

and will give a report on the new thread as well.

Thanks again

Gavin

Gavin, here is the link to the new Timberline Spring/Summer Ride Board thread

My best guess is it may be wet, off and on. You never REALLY know unless you GO> Good luck my friend.

Any chance you would start packing a small point and shoot camera to add some photos to your reports?

I can help with posting , they mean allot to the rest of us!! Bryan

Gavin,

I realize this is too late for your purposes today but for future reference the NOAA forecast is the most localized one I've found - click on the link and that gives the forecast for the timberline area. NOAA Timberline you can single click anywhere on the map that comes up and it'll give the the forecast for that area. Of course near the upper areas of hood where the elevation changes so much in a very small horizontal distance it could be very different on the downslope and the upslope sides of the highlighted area. The day of the forecast I've found it's pretty accurate... oops just Bryan's post. It has the NOAA link on the bottom of the Timberline condtions page...

Edited by astrokel

Hi Bryan

Meadows was fun today ...

Cascade Express did not open...

Vista Express opened soon after Noon ..

so spent my time there ... Snow was soft ..

so just practiced getting really LOW without lying on the snow..

On this Toe Side Drill ... my right hand is low on my right front boot and my left forearm is flat on the snow...

This feels natural and perfect now!

BUT ...

The Heel Side Drill is much more difficult for me and I am less in control ... so need LOTS more practice ..

It feels very unnatural and awkward still ...but getting better very slowly but surely.

In this Heel Side Drill, I grab the front of my board with my LEFT hand and drag my right hand in the snow...

Makes my back thigh muscle tired and sore in a hurry ...

Need to do lots of steps TWO at a TIME this summer !!! (there are 400 in Hood River next to my house) !!

I had my iphone with today to take some photos to post ... but I did not see anything worth taking a photo of ...so no photos tonight.

Tline yesterday was fun with my friends and my wife (BOTH beginner snowboarders)

Magic Mile was a mix of Icy Crust and patches of Soft Silky Smooth areas ...

So was fun for me seeking out the SOFT SMOOTH SILKY spots and trying to stay on those...

then discovered that there was a very narrow band of silky smooth soft snow along the very edge of the groomed area ...

so I stayed in that very narrow band and raced down Magic Mile.

My friends took their 4 yr old Daughter up Magic Mile for the 1st time .... (previously only on buttercup)....That was not a great idea due to the Crusty patches.

It was also cold and windy up there ... so we moved down to Jeff Flood which was really nice and easy riding for them.

BTW ...

Does anybody have a WIFE, GIRLFRIEND or DAUGHTER that is a SLOW RIDER ....

I really need to find a SLOW RIDER for my wife to ride with....

so I don't have to "babysit" all the time.

She can ride most of the runs and LOVES snowboarding ..

but has NO interest in riding FAST ...

Loves to enjoy the snow ...stop ... lie in the snow ...ride ... rest in the snow ... play in the snow ...ride etc.

I have learnt to be very patient ... but would be really nice to have somebody for her to ride slowly with ...

so I can keep going at my pace some of the time.

Thanks....

Gavin

Hi Dan .... (and any others who read it)

Ooops !!! I made a mistake in my thread a day ago .... I mixed up my LEFT and RIGHT / FRONT and BACK !!!!

I have edited the post ...

But ..Here is the correction ....

"Front Boot in the RIDE MODE ... Rear Boot in the WALK mode ...

and the boot straps as loose as possible ...especially on the BACK boot ...which was totally foreign to me ...and HARD to accept and adjust to."

Sorry about that ...

Gavin

I arrived at Meadows Main Parking Lot at 8:40am...

Went straight to STADIUM lift again ... and once again ...it was closed for the racers.

Getting very annoying as that is my favorite run right now.

Went on Cascade Express and Vista Express again till 11am but was a bit too icy for me higher up and a bit too soft lower down.

Did not find a spot that I really liked...so practiced on the Icy areas ...and once again proved that I am really not good on the icy areas ..

and need LOTS more practice and a few more skills most likely.

Also there were far too many people for me ... There was a lot for a Sunday ...and much more than I am used to during the week.

And NOT good for trying to practice my EC Drills when there are too many people.

Also my bindings were going into the snow too deep and it opened my rear binding on a toe side turn even though I have no toe overhang ....

A product of the too soft snow.

Bryan I know you wanted photos ...and I could have taken a photo of lots of people ... but am sure you have seen that too many times before...

So no photos today.

It probably got nice higher up after I left ... but more people kept arriving as there were a few things going on there today ...

so Home I went ...and will be back there on Tuesday when I will have the slopes to myself again... can't go on Monday unfortunately !!

I really NEED to learn to ride on the ICE .... not that I like to do it ...and hate the sound of it ...but I need to learn to be totally comfortable on the ICE.

So will force myself to practice on the hard icy areas this spring as much as I can. Definitely NOT fun for me though !!!!!

Gavin

Went to Meadows today.

Arrived around noon or so (I think) !

Stadium was closed again ... I think I have to give up on that run till next winter.

Met Dr. Sam from Portland at the top of Mnt Hood Express and rode with him for a few runs on Vista Express until he had to leave.

Conditions were good on Vista ... a little Icy up top but nice most of the way down to the lift.

It was cold at the top of the lift ... was 37degrees in the parking lot .... and started snowing around 2 pm or so.

Practicing my EC drills does not bode well with riding with other Carvers as they go much faster than I do ....

So got to practice more at my own pace when Sam left.

It should be nice up there tomorrow...so I will be back up there for sure.

Thursday looks like some rain ...so won't be going then.

But Friday looks sunny again ...so will go then most likely.

Gavin

Sorry Gavin, didn't mean to rush you. It was nice to meet up for a few runs with another carver.

I never thought of myself as fast, but then again maybe I've picked up a bit over the last year... at least I hope so!

The conditions on the Vista side were surprisingly nice. I would dare say around 10 ish or so the conditions were close to hero groom especially on south canyon. Star and Vista were crap however. I really haven't had much luck with that side in the late season... the grooming crew usually hits those areas first, and the snow is usually still a little soft when they groom them, so they have plenty of time overnight to set up into beautiful looking but ROCK HARD groom. Not much fun. =(

Hey Sam

Don't worry about rushing me ....

as I have all the time I want to practice slowly on my own....

which is the wonderful thing about living in Hood River....

Was nice to ride with you ....

And it is good for me to "chase" other carvers from time to time...

Even though I am currently EC OBSESSED ....and really want to get good at it before ASPEN in FEB 2013 ..

I do enjoy riding FAST as well.... and have to improve ALL my snowboarding skills ...NOT only my EC stuff.

So look forward to riding with you again up there....even if it is at your pace.

Hi Gavin. Glad to see you are finally starting to meet some of the other local carvers. Great bunch of guys for sure. You will fit right in. Your passion is obvious.

I am finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. If my back stays even so-so, I will try to get a few days in before the season ends.

Renters are in / Check

Taxes done/ Check.

Studded tires off/ Check

Back not in serious pain/ Check

Hope to play soon.

PS. Just take a few photos from the chair lift. Nothing fancy. We just want a glimpse into your day!!

Of course a photo of your lovely wife against the Mt Hood backdrop would certainly be a plus :)

Thanks again for the posts.

Bryan

Hey Bryan

Glad to see so many things checked off on you list.

Sure hope to see you on the slopes before the season ends ...

Don't forget your Video Camera....and hopefully there will be some HERO snow for me, as I need to look like a Hero on the video.

Let me know beforehand where you plan to go and I will do my best to meet you there for sure.

Salmon BBQ at my place afterwards ?????

So happy to hear the RENTERS are in....now you can buy me that GEN 4 SWOARD I am still missing in my collection !!!!

RE: "Of course a photo of your lovely wife against the Mt Hood backdrop would certainly be a plus :)"

Well seeing as though you have begged so much for photos and I have not delivered any yet...

Here is a photo of my wife, Nichapat.

post-7154-141842367042_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll take some photos tomorrow up there ...it was to cold to take my gloves off today.

(Only take them off for work calls, e-mail and texts up there when it is so cold)

Gavin

Meadows was great today.

Arrived around 11am and the Car Park was covered in Snow.

post-7154-141842367073_thumb.jpeg

As usual ...Stadium was closed as was Vista Express and Cascade Express...

So I decided to ride the Bowls today, which were great.

Thick Soft Snow in Two Bowl, Three Bowl and my favorite today was Four Bowl.

I stayed till I almost thought I would have to walk out as it was getting really slow and sticky on the FLATS at the bottom...

But the snow in the Bowls was awesome.... but VERY tiring on the legs !

I need to do LOTS of STAIRS ...TWO at a time.... this summer...to get ready for next winter.

IT was not at all cold today and no wind ...so the gloves came off and I took some photos....

Unfortunately the cell phone camera just cannot do the scenery and steepness of the Bowls any Justice.

(And I think they are upside down and I cannot get them the right way round)

post-7154-141842367079_thumb.jpeg

post-7154-141842367076_thumb.jpeg

Sorry some of the above are repetitive ...but could not delete them.

post-7154-141842367086_thumb.jpeg

I was rushing to get there this morning ...and only had 90 miles left in my gas tank ..

but it is only 30 miles to get there ...and 30 miles back ...so I thought it would be OK ..

as soon as I turned onto the 35 the Gas Warning Light turned on and the Milage started dropping much faster than I was covering miles...

Soon there were ZERO miles till empty ...but I kept going.

After Riding ... i did not want to buy the GAS CAN from Meadows with a Gallon of Gas at their expensive price ..

so I took the chance to COAST DOWNHILL ALL THE WAY BACK TO HOOD RIVER !!!

Luckily I made it ... Luckily it is DOWNHILL ALL THE WAY and you can actually Coast down the Hill ... 98% of the way !!!

BUT ... I don't plan on doing that again ... I was on the edge of my seat all the way back.

Funny how your brain thinks moving your butt forward on your seat will make you get further on an empty tank.

Anyway .... Today was a great day in the Bowls at Meadows.

Was good practicing in the thick snow there on the steeps for me.

Would have been more fun with another rider though.

Edited by GavinB