Note to New Members ×

Shipping options?

Ray

Have you ever shipped a board from the US to Europe?

I am trying to find a shipping company who actually can ship at a reasonable rate.

UPS and DHL are asking about $190. USPS does not accept the package at all, to big :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray

You want one of USPS's expedited services. Use Global Express Mail (GEM, I think that's the same as EMS other places). The limits there are 79" long (200 cm) and 108" length + girth. That should let you ship a 200 cm board that's 30 cm wide.

EMS is the cheapest way to send oversized stuff. I import long packages from Japan a lot, and they send them EMS there, turns into Canada Post or Purolator here.

Donek will ship to Europe: they take care of all that stuff including duty etc.

I regularly ship boards back here, but I tend to carry them myself.

Otherwise, the price you quote sounds too much. Presumably if it's for export then there's no US sales tax? You may have a bit of duty and VAT to pay (the courier will collect it COD generally).

Checked the USPS website, and it looks that the guy in my post office is wrong. Or just had a bad day due to all that holiday shipping...

He told me that 79inches was the max “combined” number, but it’s actually 108inches with max length of 79 inches. So that should work. Back to the post office…:D

FedEx was $135...

Thanks for the quick help you all!

Ray,

Your USPS guy is probably right. The 108" length plus girth applies to the US. When shipping outside the US via postal services, many other contries have restrictions on overall length. You can find these restriction on the international section of the USPS web site.

We use FedEx on all our international shipments. We have a pretty hefty discount due to our volume. FedEx also offers something called great Rates to existing customers. Don't ask about them at your local shipper or from your driver. They don't know anything about them or are told to keep it under wraps. You'll need to call your FedEx sales rep to use such a thing. Great rates are only available to countries they frequently fly to and change on a daily basis. They are strictly based on space available on planes. They use them to fill planes that are not likely to be full. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me or give me a call.

Sean, thanks for your help!

You are right they all keep the special rates “under wraps”. I checked with our company rep and got totally different rates.

I also went back to the "main" post office (with a printout from the USPS website) and had no problem at all this time. Certified and insured...

Country Conditions for Mailing – Netherlands

Size Limits, Letter-post: See 243.2

Air Parcel Post:

Maximum length: 79 inches

Maximum length and girth combined: 108 inches

• 2 months later...