Note to New Members ×

Tuning

Big D

So recently I got a brand new Donek and through word of mouth and strong positive recommendation I had it sent to SkiMD for the first tune a la Mike de Santis. I am completely ignorant to what is involved and always figured it was no big deal and there was not much to it. My first ride changed that opinion drastically.

I stepped off the lift, gave one push, and the thing glided like no other board I have ever been on, since 1989. Again I am not sure what kinds of magic is performed but that is how the board felt. While on a fairly flat cut through my buddies were a good 100' in front of me. I over took them with ease with no extra effort.

Just wanted to share my experience for those like me who do not have a lot of faith handing their board over to the local high schooler working at the local sporting goods store.

D

Very timely post. I had a weird time on a new board today and I'm wondering if part of it was the tune. I did a nice wax job when I received it, but that's all.

Took the board out last week on soft, fresh snow (powder/packed powder) and all seemed fantastic. Then I took it out in frozen granular/hardpack/loose granular and suddenly I was a beginner again, falling all over the place. I just couldn't figure out how to ride it. Grabbed another board and I was fine. Could be the VSR which I'm not used to as well. The board wanted to go much faster than I did in those conditions.

Saw some hardbooters at Mt Snow today. One I met at B-East this year (sorry I didn't catch your name back then--nice Coiler with diamond plate metal topsheet). The other was chasing his kid around with a helmet cam ;) Nice to see the tribe represented!

Very timely post. I had a weird time on a new board today and I'm wondering if part of it was the tune. I did a nice wax job when I received it, but that's all.

Took the board out last week on soft, fresh snow (powder/packed powder) and all seemed fantastic. Then I took it out in frozen granular/hardpack/loose granular and suddenly I was a beginner again, falling all over the place. I just couldn't figure out how to ride it. Grabbed another board and I was fine. Could be the VSR which I'm not used to as well. The board wanted to go much faster than I did in those conditions.

Saw some hardbooters at Mt Snow today. One I met at B-East this year (sorry I didn't catch your name back then--nice Coiler with diamond plate metal topsheet). The other was chasing his kid around with a helmet cam ;) Nice to see the tribe represented!

Check to see if the tip and tail have been "de-tuned" or dulled to help turn initiation, if they are sharp all the way to the start and end of the running surface, this could make them un-rideable.

Anyone care to give a quick guide on how edge angles/bevel affects performance? This was always a murky area for me. Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the reasoning, but the expert SkiMD, aka Mike de Santis, recommended 3 degree side and .75 degree base for East Coast conditions. I've been sticking to that and it's worked well.

For those of you on the West side of the Mississippi, I can heartily recommend Curtis Bacca at the Wax Room. He tunes for a couple of boardercross riders you might have heard of - Seth Wescott, Nate Holland and Lindsey Jacobelis among others.

I am sure that Mike D, does a great job. Just making sure the Left Coasters know there is closer option for great tunes.

For those of you on the West side of the Mississippi, I can heartily recommend Curtis Bacca at the Wax Room. He tunes for a couple of boardercross riders you might have heard of - Seth Wescott, Nate Holland and Lindsey Jacobelis among others.

I am sure that Mike D, does a great job. Just making sure the Left Coasters know there is closer option for great tunes.

This Wax Room?

http://www.waxroom.com/home.html

Does he do mail order tunes? How much typically?

This Wax Room?

http://www.waxroom.com/home.html

Does he do mail order tunes? How much typically?

Yes that is the one. Not sure how much he charges off hand.

I think it really depends on how much you want/need.

If you want a grind, restructure, hot box and race wax that would be different than edges and wax. I just sent him a PM, but he is tuning for the team in Arosa today, so it's night there. I might not here back for a while.

Here is the pm I just got from him.

To the OP, if you don't think this is appropriate I will delete and start a new thread.

I just got this back from Curtis today. If I didn't have complete faith in his work I would not recommend. He is the real deal. No doubt Mike at SkiMd is doing great work from all the referrals here as well. Curtis did my board for a downhill one time and it was so fast it scared the **** out of me. I was carrying so much speed I had to throw in a couple of check turns - in a downhill!!!1

He does great work.

"""""Hey Jerry,

So if I do the whole deal it is like this:

World Cup Grind & prep $89 includes

flatten board

wipe-out grind

initial grind

finish grind

so four different steps to achieve the final product

hand-base bevel & hand side edge bevel

then wax, put in wax bag, then cool, scrape, hand brush, roto-brush.........repeat 6 times, normally $30/per session.........if they do all 6 sessions it's only $61 more

so the Full deal Grind, Prep & wax treatments =$150

shipping address

The Waxroom

131 2nd St.

Ketchum, Idaho 83340

shop # 208-726-7595""""""

Erm, what's a wax bag? Never heard of this. Is it for a gradual cool down? Interesting indeed...

I believe it's what he puts them in for the hot box. Or in lieu of a hot box. I would also think that would keep ambient humidity roughly the same in a closed system. As opposed to an open hot box which would lower humidity when heated.

^ Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clarification.

For those who home tune and have got professional tunes (not run-of-the-mill $30 tunes), have you noticed a difference, a significant-worth-the-expense difference between professional tunes and doing it yourself?

In the past I've always done tuning myself and seems hard to justify spending a certain amount of money. However, just really curious if you notice the characteristics of your board changing for the better and/or longevity of tune...ie how long it lasts (acknowledging the latter is dependent on snow conditions, bases etc).