Note to New Members ×

SBX Setup

Gecko

As some of you know I broke my ankle about 2 years ago and really haven't been able to snowboard much since then. Mostly its the cold but the 50º angles may also plan a part. I plan on trying a few days again this year but I've been thinking it may be time to look at a soft setup again. Which leads me to my present question. Boards I understand and can find plenty of information on but....... What are the racers using for boots and bindings?

Thanks

A general step in the right direction (IMO) includes Burton CO2s and Burton Drivers/ Salomon Malamutes. Almost all WC riders are currently running some sort of CO2, with the Driver being a popular boot choice.

The majority of our USASA/USSA riders are running that exact setup and did so last year as well.

Another less expensive binding option, stiff, responsive with loads of adjustments is the Rome Targa.

Agreed, although in some situations it isn't.

On lower angles it is very responsive, once you start getting up to 25+ it gives way pretty easily. I'm guessing this is different with each person, as not everyone has larger legs to mush them.

To each his own, can only say from personal experience.

Agreed, although in some situations it isn't.

On lower angles it is very responsive, once you start getting up to 25+ it gives way pretty easily. I'm guessing this is different with each person, as not everyone has larger legs to mush them.

To each his own, can only say from personal experience.

I ride lower angles so haven't come across this phenomenon.

What are you running for front/rear angles and stance on your BX setup? Just curious-I use Malamutes with both Burtons and Flow's on my Salomon FRS 165...experimenting on the right fit-haven't found it. Just curious

A general step in the right direction (IMO) includes Burton CO2s and Burton Drivers/ Salomon Malamutes. Almost all WC riders are currently running some sort of CO2, with the Driver being a popular boot choice.

The majority of our USASA/USSA riders are running that exact setup and did so last year as well.

What are you running for front/rear angles and stance on your BX setup? Just curious-I use Malamutes with both Burtons and Flow's on my Salomon FRS 165...experimenting on the right fit-haven't found it. Just curious

Me too..

Got Salomon Malamutes with Ride CAD's and Burton Elevators. Now riding 21/-3(or -6). Aslo interested in a stance width.

The past two tears I have run CO2's with the Driver X size 12. Last year was on a Salomon Burner 166 (riding a wet noodle) and this year I am on a custom metal BX board (insanely stiff).

I run 18-21 front and 15 rear. I get enough just flex to allow me to backup for pull-outs, and plenty of power for actually riding a course.

Edit: Stance is around 23 inches. (I have long legs)

Seen on the First Time beginner slope at Park City Resort two days ago...Nate Holland testing boards on a short timing area in preparation for the USSA SBX event tomorrow @ Canyons.

When I asked the guy sitting at the 'finish' with a clipboard what Mr.Holland was up to, the reply was..."He's trying to decide which of his SEVEN custom Kesslers is faster..."

And there was a pile of boards sitting there worth more than both our cars...

99% chance he was testing wax. He did the same thing at the Sunday River WC.

Wax companys do wax test, There is no need to "text waxs" its a true science and Andy Buckley, Nates tech is da man Andy says, Nate was out testing structure, as Martin said truley trying to find his "fastest board" They all where wearing the same wax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
New to sbx, my current binding angles are front;21 and back 0, would like to know which is the most popular angle setup, I know that its an individual preferance but there must be a technical advantage to a certian angle setup. its all about body mechanics.

try 24/9.

not running bx but i dont notice any difference running switch and get gobs more edge power from 21/0 which i have run forever...

my ankle wasn't broken on a snowboard it wasn't twisted and broken, it had a motorcycle dropped on it in a low speed highside (it's an embarrassing crash to describe) and its not a strength issue or even a boot issue because my hard boots feel fine. Its an angle issue, high angles are uncomfortable. this doesn't effect me in any form of skateboarding except Slalom I know exactly when I am turned too far forward I get a stabbing pain in my rear ankle which is nearly identical to the feeling I have on my carving board with a rear binding angle of 45º and 48º (which is 5º-8º less than I used to ride) I guess I could have Sean make me a Hardboot capable Saber or maybe a small Axxes, but I kind of relish the idea of railing on softies

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gecko, just thought I'd let you know, there will be another binding option next season.

I was after a pair of C60's or CO2's for a new SBX-specific board and couldn't find any online in my size, so I contacted my friendly burton Rep to find out they were having their annual sample sale.

He suggested the 2012 Burton Diode, the replacement for the two bindings above and in his words "fits in between them", and not as obscenely expensive!

I have used it one day so far on my teaching board, Never Summer SL, but haven't really had a chance to go balls-out on them. First impressions though are good....its VERY stiff, with a great highback and comfy straps.

Only downside? No FLAD on the highback, so forward lean is adjusted by way of the now dual purpose highback rotation adjusters...pain in the butt but OK once you have them set. Dimply basepad pattern forms and holds/builds ice really easily!

Hope that helps...

Martin.

ps. You need a GECKO slalom skateboard...check the link below!:)

post-9081-141842342997_thumb.jpg