Note to New Members ×

New Subaru

lowrider

New 00071km CVT seems to allow engine to rev high. When accelerating you have to back off on throttle to get revs. to back down.If you don't your doing 50mph and revs are 5000. CVT in 07 Ford freestyle never acted like this. Our current 03 legacy is doing 50 mph @2100 rpm. Why did Subaru end the Legacy wagon.:confused:

New 00071km CVT seems to allow engine to rev high. When accelerating you have to back off on throttle to get revs. to back down.If you don't your doing 50mph and revs are 5000. CVT in 07 Ford freestyle never acted like this. Our current 03 legacy is doing 50 mph @2100 rpm. Why did Subaru end the Legacy wagon.:confused:

Auto, stick?

If it's auto, sounds like it's sticking in 3rd/4th. That would explain the constant high rev, until you back off.

If it's stick, no friggin' idea.

Auto, stick?

If it's auto, sounds like it's sticking in 3rd/4th. That would explain the constant high rev, until you back off.

If it's stick, no friggin' idea.

It's a CVT..Continuously Variable Transmission.

Nothing wrong with a spritely 5000 RPM on the freeway... ;)

KC's solution: Drive it in the "manual" mode. :D

CVT, welcome to 1 gear at all times. My work Ford Escape Hybrid has the same thing. It revs out to 6500 rpm when doing 140km/h on the highway.

It is really good for fuel economy normally though as you can never get it to spin the wheels or jump the line with it.

It is hella boring to drive though but may last a long time.

Starting to settle down.Maybe a few more wheel stands and it will act normal . Why would anyone want a paddle shift automatic? Either you can drive a standard or you can't but why pretend?

But it is not an automatic, it is a CVT. The "shifters" just bring the engine to predetermined location in the CVT loop to give the driver the feeling of having gears to shift to, like an automatic.

Like I said, they are good for fuel economy and getting you from A to B. Excitement and the thrill of driving, not so much but it will last a long time.

That doesn't sound right, unless you're accelerating or climbing a hill. There's nothing in a CVT that would demand high RPM at low-load situations. All the CVT vehicles I've driven have had engine RPM driven as a function of engine load/throttle position. i.e. mash the throttle and the RPM climbs, let off and it drops to near-idle.

What does the dealership say? That would be my first stop with a 71 km vehicle that's acting strangely.

I've hated every single CVT car I've driven as it feels like there's no firm connection between the throttle pedal and what's happening at the tires - like there's a big rubber band being wound up somewhere. Plus I love the sound of an engine running through it's RPM range, but I certainly understand the efficiency aspect of it.

New vehicle on slushy roads and computer doing the driving is just different than i'm used to. I personally like the feel of the shift ,auto or standard. I guess the days of the tires chirping between shifts is too old school, fractional loss of traction and all that stuff. The acceleration is impressive with the cvt. The shifting of the older model automatics is like listening to an old 8 track you know the song so well you even pause as the track changes when singing along. I'm sure most people don't even know what i'm talking about now! The new Subaru is nice just different,wondering how different they will get before i decide i like the older one more? Am i going to need iphone tools to work on them?