Note to New Members ×

flow bindings..what are the alternatives?

rikytheripster

the K2 cinch is an alternative - but this is the first year on the market. the pro at the Corbett's in Oakville, Ont said that most competitive/pro riders were moving back to straps, even over the flows because of the adjustability of straps. the cinch looks like a good alternative.

]

Burton makes a step-in. I had SI's as my first snowboard binding and they worked well. I think the pros don't like 'em because they just don't offer the response but for an intermediate or recreational rider, they work fine.

I remember Burton upgraded them and called them pSI but on their website now, it's just SI. Either they dropped the p or they dropped the binding.

EDIT: I have Flows for both my kids (9 and 12) and they love them. I love 'em too because the kids are strapped in and ready to fly in seconds as opposed to plopping on the ground and strapping up. Keeps their butts dry too.

I liked my flow bindings. They are pretty convenient and give decent support.

But I did the mistake of not buying their boots (or boots shaped to match their bindings). I had Vans Fargo boots - and those didn't work too well with the flows (might have changed with later models).

I either had preasure points or if the bindings were comfortable they were a little bit too loose - I once almost came out of the binding on a toe-side turn in a boarder cross. ...hurt my ancle quite a bit and was pretty scary. Bought some regular strap bindings the next day...

But I also have friends who love those bindings - with the right boots.

If you look at the flow boots they are wedge shaped to match the design of the bindings. So you want to stay a way from more square designs (as my vans are).

I love my flow pro and my boots of last year, Vans Fargo Boa. But they aren't very handy when you want to get out in deep snowy steep pists. Then I prefer normal bindings or the new ones mentioned below (combo of stepin like flow and normal ratches).

I am just looking surpised at the new stepin of K2 and Burton.

Like the idea of the Burton and the K2 because you can rotate the backsupport. That's what I miss with my Flows. Very handy in case of rotating of the backbinding.

(my right, I am regular).

Burton Fusion:http://www.burton.com/burton/gear/products.asp?productID=40

K2 Cinch:http://www.k2snowboarding.com/bindings/binding.asp?ProductID=23

I am gonna try those two in the shop within a few weeks time. Any one who has already experience with these new bindings?

Greets, Hans.

I have had my Flows for what will now be my 4th season. They are great. As one other person pointed out, the Flow boots help with a fit. I had tried other step-ins (Clicker, Switch) and had real issues with clogging of snow in cracks and the need for precision movement to get the device "locked". I can get my foot into the back binding while still on the chair, so it's straight to the slopes (if there isn't a flat runout at the top!).

I can carve a pretty mean trench with them, but the boots are soft, so there's some more wiggle room than I would like to see. There can sometimes be a gap between the boot and the top fo the highback, even if you try to get in as tight as you can. I'm taking on a hard boot setting for the first time this year, but I'll still keep my Flows and all-mountain board for those "less than cordoury" days.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Catek Freerides.

Awesome bindings, while not "step-ins" like the Flows as requested by the original poster I have a pair with Salomon toestraps and they are pretty fast to get into (10 seconds).

Originally posted by skategoat

I don't see how the Fusion is a step-in Hans. I think Burton's step-in is the SI.

It has a detachable sub-frame (part of the binding releases from the baseplate still attached to your foot). You can go to the Burton website to read about it.

I'm on my 3rd year riding Flows, and I love them. I'm running the Carbon BX bindings with Solomon Malamutes. I've had no problems with the interface, and this is definitely the stiffest "Soft" setup I have ever had. I actually get boot-bang the first couple of days each season with this setup.

I've heard that some people who ride a lot (every day) can streatch out the "straps" but I have had no problem.

I have also heard of people who will modify the "straps" and attach ratchets to one side so that they probably function a lot like the new K2 binders, allowing for a "tighter" fit.

I have sworn a few times that I would never go back to straps, but those new K2's look interesting....

Guest AlpentalRider

i've heard from several people who tested the Burton Fusions that they really liked them. They have all the performance of a strap system, with a detachable subframe that actually works the way it was designed to work.

The biggest complaint I've heard from the flows is that the binding interface doesn't match well with all boots. You sometimes end up with spots not cinching down so you have movement and play between them. That's one reason I've stayed away from flows.

The burton SI are no longer made, and the boot selection for them wasn't that good. The system itself was well designed and worked, but the interface is only as good as the boot fit. So if your buddy can find a pair of SI boots that fit well, it would work for him, but otherwise I would stay away from the SI.

Can't comment on the Clicker, although I personally never liked the design.

Guest AlpentalRider
Originally posted by Jon Dahl

I always wished for a way to cant my soft boot setup 'cause I always had heel lift issues.

Just do what I do, get cant disks for your softies. I use to use the Burton Unicants, although I've now switched to a Burton Max Cant (7 degree) on the rear binding only. It works great, and I get to use the sweet P1 Carbons with it :)

Originally posted by skategoat

I don't see how the Fusion is a step-in Hans. I think Burton's step-in is the SI.

According to the productspecs it's more like a stepout-/stepofbinding. Half of the binding stays on the foot. Well, I am gonna try them in the shop in the next weeks. I like the pictures and the ratches. The price of the Burton's: I don't like. The price of the K2's is very interesting. The K2 is more like a modified Flowsystem with ratches and the possibility to rotate the backsupport. It's worth trying them.

Greets, Hans.