Note to New Members ×

Going short

davekempmeister

No doubt this has been covered thoroughly but I have noticed that in recent years that many that rode longer boards are going shorter. Why? No wrong answer, to be sure, I am just curious.

New shapes? Mostly east coasters? Sidecuts (shapes again)? Age/legs? I am tall and usually 100 kg +/- and I don't get it except to jump in a pipe or bash gates. Thanks

The progression of my main carving board has been:

169, 175, 183, 177, 174, 165, 162

I went up in size because it was the thing to do around here and the bigger sidecuts felt more stable as a beginner. I started my progression downward because I had the 183 and 177 at the same time and ended up riding the 177 most of the time. Then I went shorter on my next board and I liked that board more, and so on. I realized that there was a price to pay in versatility for the bigger sidecut stability.

I really like a quick handling board and the current crop of small boards are so stable at higher speeds and have a really wide range of turns I don't see any reason to go bigger. They can also ride the widest variety of trails and terrain. I am only 145 pounds so I probably like a smaller, lighter board than a lot of bigger carvers.

I do have a 168 that is easier to ride than my 162. Some of that is the design of the board but some of it is due to the fact that as you get short, there is not as much room to get out of position without the board letting you know.

I ride in Utah and Oregon.

The only sub-170 board I have owned in the modern era was a Madd 158. I'd consider an angrry 160 or a modern slalom board, but not as my everyday ride. 6' 225lbs, 40 yrs old, 29 seasons and holding...

It's been very hard to find a shorter board that can handle what I put into it without folding. Alot of this is my technique, which is still old race-style throw everything at the nose to initiate turns. Maybe taking this year off (hoping that's not the case, but looks like my planned Colorado trip in March may be off) will let me re-learn a more relaxed technique on my return?

Duno... I always was kinda low 170s carving and high 160s for AM...

Progression (mostly used):

Carv: 168, 164, 170, 174, 181, 177, 173

AM: 168, 174, 192, 165, 168, 167

For me, for carving, it's more about SCR mostly associated with given length. But, agillity and weight also play a rolle.

Personal stats: 6', 185lbs, 42 young.

I really like the slalom stuff for doing wheelies down hard steeps all day long, but the GS boards are so much easier to be lazy on, I end up falling in love.

I think it's probably still GS board majority on BOL.

FWIW, even at Wildcat on the east coast which seems to be pretty bad on the stereotypical east coast narrow-trail scale, my 15.5 board fit down pretty much everything.

my 2 cents..

I am 6'3" 205-210 lbs..at ripe old age of 64. ..several years ago I started on a 173 Volkl and 174 4X4. Felt they were not stable enough at higher speeds so went with 178 Volkl and 179 4X4 ... found the sweet spot and enjoyed bombing the Whistler runs. Now the past two years I am back at the 174 4X4 and a new 173 FLC and now and now & then even ride a 168 Volkl GS. It seems my skills have elevated to where I am now comfortable on a shorter board -- plus --- the FLC 173 rides, handles and feels like a longer board - even more stable than my 178 ish boards - maybe the metal add Eh?

So it goes shorter now this month - Bruce is building me a Asym 169 AM - 21 wide - makes me wonder in a few more years if I will be on a 160 board... with stickers from Medicare on it.:biggthump

I really like the slalom stuff for doing wheelies down hard steeps all day long, but the GS boards are so much easier to be lazy on, I end up falling in love.

I think it's probably still GS board majority on BOL.

FWIW, even at Wildcat on the east coast which seems to be pretty bad on the stereotypical east coast narrow-trail scale, my 15.5 board fit down pretty much everything.

I don't think that anyone could be lazy on a long fast stiff GS board going at mach speed on the other hand i think that everything is easier and more effortless on a shorter softer SL or FR board because everything comes at lower speed's!

I started with a 1,58 then went to a 1,60,1,67,1,71,177,1,83 and started going backwards again until i think i found the length that suits me better at 46 and not at the fitness level i used to be in my 20s-30s a 1,67, 21.5 waist feels to me just right to be lazy on!

I don't think that anyone could be lazy on a long fast stiff GS board going at mach speed on the other hand i think that everything is easier and more effortless on a shorter softer SL or FR board because everything comes at lower speed's!

I started with a 1,58 then went to a 1,60,1,67,1,71,177,1,83 and started going backwards again until i think i found the length that suits me better at 46 and not at the fitness level i used to be in my 20s-30s a 1,67, 21.5 waist feels to me just right to be lazy on!

I don't know where you are getting the stiffness from. In fact, having ridden both the stock SG GS and SL boards from the same year, the 185 and 163, the 163 felt stiffer because it would not turn on the tail- I think it must be for more snap out of the turn.

With a GS board, you can find a wide blue and lay it over 45* and do hero carves at mach bro, and never worry about the pressure building too much at the bottom of the turn, never worry about outrunning the sidecut, and never worry about the nose darting off the moment you change edges. Not that I feel there is anything wrong with riding in such a manner, but it's not my preference, and I don't think it's very versatile.

I have been riding a Coiler VSR 165 x-tight (it does have 149 effective adge though). VERY fun board..... It is a leg burner for sure, but doesn't mind letting it run a bit either.

I am 195 naked and it has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it so far. I like taking it down courses that have been taken down and not slipped (not following the course), quite exciting!

I will say, nothing is as fun as my Monster though. I love how my eyes water under my goggles...... Such a fun board!

Haven't been carving but a few years. Currently have a Proton 160 SL and an SG Speed 178 as carving boards. The SL board seems pretty easy to turn. Have to be on your toes as it will turn pretty tight if you lay into it. The big board has to be going pretty fast or on a steep runs to get it to turn tight. Only been on it one day though. I worked my quads quite a bit. The SL board can be riden all day long with no leg soreness. I found that I can launch it off stuff, hope between turns, etc. It is a playful and easy to ride board. The big board is fun but takes some guts to use it. I think I will like it more when I get more days on it. I'm probably a little on the light side for it at 160 too.