Note to New Members ×

Binding location... centered on the inserts or centered on the side cut?

Flywalker

Hiya,

Well, after a looooonnnng hiatus from snowboarding the old memories are slowly percolating up from the depths. l seem to remember mounting my bindings on my old board so that the narrowest point was centered between my bindings.

Roll forward 10 years later. l have just hopped onto new tech, VSR, metal and spring-loaded boots. My bindings are mounted centered on the inserts which to me looks like l am well forward of the narrowest point on the board. Yesterday was the maiden voyage and it felt a bit like l was all over the nose of the board, with the tail threatening to wash out.

So... just wondering... where are you people placing your bindings?

The tapered carve boards require a bit more weight on the tail, especially when finishing a turn.

Some technique adjustment will help. Riding more centered with less weight shifting (especially toward the nose) than on older boards helps a lot. These boards initiate so much easier, you do not need to hammer on the nose to make tight turns. The board will tell you. If the nose is wobbling a bit and the tail is washing out a bit, you are too far forward at that moment.

You could move the bindings back a bit and see how that feels. I added toe lift to my front foot and removed the heel lift from my rear foot to put my center of mass a bit further back.

Did you get a replacement board?

VSR 175 M+ Front binding centered on inserts, rear binding set for correct stance width (about a cm back from centered on inserts). Works great, no issues whatsoever with loosing the tail.

I did the same after a couple of runs when I first got my VSR. That was last season, rides great, never saw a reason to move it back to center.

I would normally say centered to the inserts as the builder designed it......

BUT, my MADD BX liked to have the bindings mounted in the front of the inserts.

My Coiler Monster has a different personality depending on where you mount it..... Mount it forward and you can really make it turn or just let it ride, very flexible board. Mount them in the middle and you need to work at it to tighten it up but it is SO stable in a carve it is ridiculous.

I would say start centered and then when you know its character mix it up a little and move them around.

Did you get a replacement board?

No... and yes.

Not a replacement from the original manufacturer.... but something perhaps better, though not new.

l'll make a separate thread detailing my experiences with a local custom builder in a different thread. Fortunately, it ended well (^_^)

No... and yes.

Not a replacement from the original manufacturer.... but something perhaps better, though not new.

l'll make a separate thread detailing my experiences with a local custom builder in a different thread. Fortunately, it ended well (^_^)

Cannot wait to hear the story. Glad it turned out well!

I can't remember correctly but in general doesn't a 'towards the nose' offset, lengthening the tail causing the tail to hold its edge longer but may take more effort for the ride to initiate the next turn? May be a good set up for an older alpine board that wants to wash out at the end of a carve.

Disclaimer: I'm not a coach. I just ride often and am sharing my experiences. If the rest of this post is bad advice, someone who knows better please explain why and I won't be offended. In fact, I'll be grateful for being straightened out

Most VSR boards are designed to work best when "ridden from the board up" - Focusing on using the feet to tip the board strongly and quickly on edge - so that the nose, including the decambered part, engage quickly and positively. Think about it - high inclination, wider nose hits snow, hooks up hard.

I suggest focusing on this before making stance changes, especially before mounting towards the nose. Riding a VSR with a strong "board-up" technique can be a revelation.

Having said that, I do mount my NSR+Asym 182 about 1cm front-of-centered-on inserts based on the fact that when riding from the board up, it feels most balanced mounted up that way. I ride my VSR170 centered about 1cm back of centered on inserts, because it seems to add more leverage in terms of getting the nose to hook up which that board seems to need, based on a rather aggressive decamebred nose.

Please keep in mind that one of the design goals of many modern, "VSR" boards is to make it so that one can aggressively engage the edge in a stable fashion without as much fore/aft movement on the board, while at the same time shorting the amount of edge that's in contact with the snow when you're *not* carving (i.e., skidding - in particular, speed-checking or stopping) which leads to more controlled skids.

If you are mounting bindings sufficiently far forward to get "constant engagement of the rockered nose" then you are defeating the second part. Which, depending on your circumstances, may be just fine. Just be aware of it.

My main objective on moving the binder forward was to prevent the nose from bouncing around, it did just that and also put me into a very centered postion on the board that feels very natural and comfortable.

Bummer that you were getting bouncy-nose! That 1 cm forward on my NSR+Asym gives me the same feeling that you describe. I'd have to guess that on both our boards, the inserts should have been forward of where they were placed.

By moving your binders aft, you are giving the nose more leverage over the rider making him work more which does terrible things for stamina. Why would you set up the board in a fashion that makes you work harder?

My VSR170 is a turny little stick that probably has too aggressive a decamber on the nose. On this particular board, I found myself working hard to get the nose to engage especially at lower speeds. By giving myself the rider a longer level over the nose I am able to get it to engage with less effort. The lever works both ways... board over rider, rider over board. Now a simple flick of the ankles and feet and it turns on a dime!

Let's take some runs together at SES, Monday will be my first day on snow.

Cubicle carvers unite, I'm going riding!

Good on ya, just got back from the mtn myself.