Note to New Members ×

Powder Skwal

monodude

I bought a pair of Nordica "Ya Luv" Powder skiis this past fall. 09/10 models with traditional camber. Not much camber but no "rocker". It's also a metal/wood core board a little on the soft side. This is a very well built ski.

Specs: 185 length,167 tip, 140 waist, 157 tail. 29M radius. Round tail with very little "kick"

I mounted it according to the marked boot center. I like a 42mm-44mm stance

on my Skwal boards, using Catek OS 2 bindings, and Ski boots. I have approx. 3* toe rise on the front foot and approx. a 10* heel lift on the rear foot. After careful measuring/marking/drilling I put "T" nuts on a 4X4 pattern with a second pair forward for forward mounting. Total of 12 holes. There's a layer of metal under the base material so using the "T" nuts is bulletproof. The "T" nuts are round, flat , and metric thread. I bought them at "Ace Hardware. I used a spade/wood drill bit with the "wings at the outside edges" for a clean cut through the base material, (approx. 1/16" diameter larger than the "T" nut base) The base cutuot might need to be increased for fill-in purposes. Then I drilled through the ski the same diameter as the insert. I did have to make the base side hole slightly larger to accomidate the "curve" where the insert transitions to the flat. Clean the metal of the base and epoxy the inserts in with a slow cure marine epoxy. I bolted down the binding base plate till fully cured, doing the same for the second pair of mounting holes. As for filling in the base I'm not sure what will work best. I have a shop that wil try "P" texing, but, if that doesn't hold I'll use an epoxy.

Today I took the first test ride. Impressive IMHO. I tried it in 8" light fresh over groomed and in 15" of older untracked. I love the larger radius for the powder, less drag= better glide, and big mountain style turns, although on soft groom the nose would "hook" and come around fast. Note to self...

burying the nose SUCKS, pay attention...

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

P.S. I have the other ski for sale... $250 + shipping, (bare), or $375 with the inserts in, base filled, ready to go. Ace ????

I am just seeing this thread for the first time Don!

Can you post some pics please?

I should be out in the next month or so I'll have to see it in the flesh for sure.

I'll let you know about buying the other ski after seeing some pics.

I have been meaning to try my Wunderbar POW skwal again but haven't yet.

I think I need to detune it...very very hooky.

I am just seeing this thread for the first time Don!

Can you post some pics please?

I should be out in the next month or so I'll have to see it in the flesh for sure.

I'll let you know about buying the other ski after seeing some pics.

I have been meaning to try my Wunderbar POW skwal again but haven't yet.

I think I need to detune it...very very hooky.

It's in the shop for filling in the base over the 12 "T" nuts I put in. Hopefully next week I'll get it back. Ace call me. I live in Rock Springs Wyoming now. I'm not sure when I can get down to Colorado again. I don't have internet here yet. Starbucks for now once a week. Call me on when you'll be in Co. I'll try to come down and if there's fresh you can try it.

three-O-three- 513-9042

don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2: