Note to New Members ×

Did you gradually get better? Or did it just happen one day?

SWriverstone

another thing I have noticed that comes before a "breakthrough" is that you recognize what you are doing wrong. The post above just reminded me of that. Once you can see what you're doing wrong, that essentially means you know what needs to be done, and you're not doing it. Keep trying/fiddling with equipment and see if you can get to where you need to be.

Setting mini-goals throughout the day/week/month helps me when I feel overwhelmed with technique issues and things to remember.

I still can't ride well but not as horrible as I used to ride. I think I started getting better once I got off an asym board and onto a symmetrical one. Hanging out with ski racers and USSA coaches also helped. I'm not sure if it got me any better at riding but reading some Bomber articles may have helped.

Lots of little leaps:

1990 Bought dayglo pink Kemper Aggressor 170 with little sidecut and three strap bindings. Added skiboot liners to my sorels so I had a padded tongue to lean on. Since it had a square tail, it must be a race board, right?

1991 Saw my first German Eurocarvers, at Snowbird, on custom clip-tail Asym's and hardboots. Decided I must have boots and a board with sidecut like that to make those pivot around palm, Vitelli turns.

1992 First hard boots (Burton Megaflex) and plate board (PJ7) I flogged the dog on that get'up for the next couple of seasons until I got to the point that I could both ride the board fast enough to get a turn out of the sidecut and hold the edge long enough to make the turn.

1993 Tried every binding angle the board allowed to get my heelside turn to stick. Finally got it, by sitting with my butt to initiate and carry a turn. Scored a second hand Nitro Asym 154 to try the new tricks.

1995 Met some goofball with a 4 edge, double based freeride board, hello what's this? Turns out the board was a Dual-e prototype, to be built with carbonfiber, for the following season. I got to do some test riding on it and I LIKES!! Secured contract to ride said boards and tour with Demo van(complete with my first set of Bomber Trench Diggers).

Up until now, I thought I was some kind of BigBoy freecarver. I knew the racers could out carve me any day, but their carves didn't have the soul that mine did, and it showed.

BIG BREAK THROUGH:

1996/7 on tour in Vail,CO. I saw some instructor dude, with Boone printed on his Vail name tag, riding a Rossi Throttle mounted with TD1's, using SKIPOLES, with little plastic irons mounted on top!!!

On closer examination, I noted that he had the strangest wear on the butt of his pants, and one knee had the same scorched wear pattern as the butt... I figured he knew something I didn't and went to bug him. That was when I saw him pole plant, drop hip, lay out a ripping heelside with his little plastic iron gliding on the snow, and before the board even had a chance to recoil after the turn, he swung over the top of the board, hooked up and layed out the toe edge. Totally sick carving, I think to myself, and really get after this fellow. We end up meeting at his "office" at the top of the video analysis course for a little bull session. After some introductions, we turned it into a full blown EC session. He liked my board and I liked his style. He shared many little tips and tricks that tightened my overall package to the point that I could throw down, anywhere, anytime and feel like I knew exactly what I was doing... Thanks Mr. Lennon!!

Edit to add:

Haven't ridden any of the new stuff, however, still on high angle skinnies and Dual-e carbons from the 90's. With the new Tech boards and ergonomic setup concepts, I gotta learn how to do it all over again.:smashfrea

Great thread, awesome read. My real break through came after I saw Jacques Rilliet and Patrice Fivat from extremecarving.com. I kept on watching the movies, taking notes and reading the forum. Trying it on mtn early this year was a revelation (and that after years and years of uneducated hardbooting). I am still a poor carver but making steady progress. :1luvu:

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mr. Bobby Bugs hit it best..

Biggest thing I have read in this thread, Mileage!! No substitute for TOM, Time on Mountain. I think it happens every day its just that we dont get enough days so the few we do get seem like they can be huge break throughs. But just when you think you have something nailed It comes and goes and you go home saying man I suck:o But thats what keeps us coming back, the chance of being better the next day.

I had 2 really cool break throughs this week as I had 12 days off and spent them on the mtn. I took the advice I read here and applied it. I suck bad heel side and so started looking uphill on heel side and it helped alot, but not enough. The 2nd thing I did for an experiment was to put my back boot in walk mode and drive my back knee into the carve (heelside) and HolyWah! the board took off into a sweet heelside carve so much so that I had to be carefull not to fall. My angulation immediatley jumped up so much I had to adjust my posture to accomadate it. I think this is what folks talk about when they express being "in the back seat" cause it certainly felt like it to me. I feel great about it cause I think its getting me where I want to be, just have to tame the beast with some practice. On the down side I start 7-12's for the rest of the month tomorrow, yuck!

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my story:

I've been hardbooting since '93/'94 I think, and I've been improoving gradually. There have been some bigger or smaller step ups in some carving camps and when riding new and better boards, but last friday something strange happened...

It was my 6th day on snow this season, and the 5th day was the worst in long time..

So, I've been having problems with shoulder positiong in backside curve for last 5 years. My front side is more or less as good as I can imagine, but backside's been giving me troubles. I've been trying to improve it with help of many people, even from this forum, but never had a Significant succes.

This friday my first backside curve of the day felt perfect! And so did the 2nd and 3rd... I realised that my board was holding snow perfectly, had no problem with carving over some mid sized bumps... Great!

Then I realised that the problem was not my shoulders, but my knees!!!

Andrej Cerne from http://www.sportpoint.si/ has been telling me that some 5 years ago, but I allways thought that I was doing what he was saying. The problem was that I tended to lean into a curve before setting my board on the very edge, so I had to find balance with my shoulders! Now I got rid of that problem by pure coincidence and I've improved my boarding very much! So we can say it just happened one day!

Cheers!

And happy new year to all you guys!

• 1 month later...

My signature used to say "I'd rather be carving", which was sort of a double entendre. I think most people assumed it meant, I'd rather be carving instead of working or doing some other less pleasant task when not on the mountain.

But I meant it strictly for when I am on the mountain. I.e., I rather be carving instead of skidding.

Yesterday was truly an epiphany for me. I finally got my toe side turns to work (really my heel to toe side transitions). Now I'm carving my downhill edge on toe side turns and leaving huge trenches.

Thanks to Mark (aka dingbat) for all the great advice! :biggthump

• 1 month later...

I first started riding HBs back in '94. But only a couple of times a season as I was primarily a softbooter and riding about 30-40 days a season. I got out of riding in '96 and back into it in 2008 riding about 30 days a season give or take. When I came back I started riding HBs more because I was unsatisfied with the performance of SBs. I split about 50/50 between plates and softies because my kids couldn't keep up when I was riding plates.

This season I made the leap and switched to riding HBs exclusively and I also got down to NES and found out exactly how much I actually didn't know about riding. I just put my 25th day in this season and in the past three or four times out the difference has been amazing, snow feel, comfort level, and my ability to react to snow conditions seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. It's like every time I go out I'm getting lower, smoother and able to try out different things. So the end of this season, for about the last three times out, has been one huge breakthrough for me.

I'm putting this breakthrough down to finding out what i didn't know and riding hard boots exclusively, not switching back and forth. While it was a bit depressing to me at at the time, thanks to everyone at NES for being that much better than me. :biggthump

Dave

Looking at the original question, my answer would probably be a combination of both. You obviously need slope time/ vert, but I can also remember a couple of significant steps for me ...

1. Piste

1993. The arrival of the first (none-inserted) Nitro Scorpion, at the same time the "new race method" (symmetrical) board thing happened in Europe. I swapped to that from a French Burton Air copy. Before then I'd been competent but not able to rip as well as I could on skis.

2. Powder

1997. I'd ridden GS race boards in powder extensively previously, because they were big and they worked fine. This year I ended up in BC without my boards. I picked up a Burton Supermodel... and found that the difference in heli powder was night and day. I switched instantly from being with the crowd, to waiting at the bottom for the crowd. Every run, every time.

In both cases the transformation was night and day. Both were caused by boards. I've switched boots and bindings around like everyone did but broadly they're incremental changes.... like getting more experience, you don't notice them that much.

There have been significant changes since: the change to tapered ("Fish") designs in powder boards, or the switch to metal race boards. Neither of those affected me significantly.

This may sound counterintuitive, but today I had my best carving day ever, and I think it's due in part to riding soft spring conditions over the last few weeks. Today was the first time on hero snow in probably four or five weeks and it was truly and epic day. Everything just worked.

I think riding in poor conditions (very soft snow, ice, crud, etc) can really improve your technique by showing you exactly where your weaknesses are.

Until I had a day in really soft snow, I didn't realize I was getting too much weight on the nose of the board. In softer snow I learned pretty quickly how to keep my weight centered.

So don't fret the next time you go out and the snow isn't wait you were hoping for. In the long run, it will pay off by teaching you better technique.

I made steady improvements every year, even though I only get 10 days a year on average. I then got to the point that while I felt prerrty strong about my riding ability I also knew I was probabaly overpowering the board but still continued to ride it for another 5 years or so as lift tickets are pricey as our new snowboards.

This year, 2011, I finally got some true alpine gear in a size that suits me (188 Sims Burner and 179 Donek FC custom made for me). On my first run I told myself to take it easy and get used to the new board. After two turns I felt so good I opened it up 100%. I laid over a toeside adn before I knew it draggin two forearms across the slope. I had been that low before but never with such ease and control.

I instantly relaized that for many years my board was drastically limiting my carving ability and advancement. Needles to say that for those that have not tried some of the new boards, or tru alpine specific boards, do so ASAP as you will be amazed and the difference it makes.

D

This may sound counterintuitive, but today I had my best carving day ever, and I think it's due in part to riding soft spring conditions over the last few weeks. Today was the first time on hero snow in probably four or five weeks and it was truly and epic day. Everything just worked.

I think riding in poor conditions (very soft snow, ice, crud, etc) can really improve your technique by showing you exactly where your weaknesses are.

Until I had a day in really soft snow, I didn't realize I was getting too much weight on the nose of the board. In softer snow I learned pretty quickly how to keep my weight centered.

So don't fret the next time you go out and the snow isn't wait you were hoping for. In the long run, it will pay off by teaching you better technique.

So true. Great post.

So true. Great post.

agreed.

I've made biggest improvements when I get several days on the snow in a row.

Last time, It happened to be at the same time as a big powder dump. Had to figure out how to initiate the turns hard and fast before i got bounced around. Also worked on weight distribution.

This time, I figured out how to extend my legs as i was coming around the apex, huge improvement. Also, huge burn in the quads after a fully carved run. Smile to match.

You can definitely learn to carve in trees, but in my mind, it's more of a learning to carve through powder, rather than on top of groom.

As for moguls, a skidded turn by a skier is what made the mogul in the first place, but an aggressive carving stance and attitude will definitely hold you in good stead, even if you have to skid the release.

Geo

Works quite well so long as you aim to create the effect without the usual affect.

Not to derail this but i'd like to put my vote in for having Beckman's ranking changed to "Yoda" or "Carving Yoda". This isn't a diss as Beckman gives great advice and clearly has years of experience. It's just that every once in awhile its given in an obscure manner that makes me have to think about what he just said for a couple of hours. Personally I prefer this BTW as it creates better understanding than having something spelled out for you in black and white. Some of his posts always just strike me as kind of 'Yodaish' sounding.:rolleyes:

Dave

When other riders let me know what I need to focus on next, Steve P, Cuban, Dredman, West Carven, Jonasmo, Two Ravens, Kram. Just this week, Dane ( the lurker ) observed that my rear knee was leaning out and he encouraged me to get it in. In just 2 days since Ive focused on that, all of my turns have tightened up, my transitions are faster, my carves in more control, confidence higher. Each time I improve something, angulation, turn into the carve, lower center of gravity, weight placement, focus, the riding improves. I try hard, every day, and getting feedback is critical. I admire the riders who are relaxed, calm and confident.

Agreed, but... you have to know who to listen to.

I am self-tought hardboot carver since early 90', with a gap due to an accident. My progress had been poor throughout the years until:

1. I came accross extremecarving.com (stoked - and tried to follow their instructions)

2. Had a two days course with a hardboot instructor (to get rid of bad habits - and that includes the ones I got from extremecarving.com ;) )

3. Tried a skwal :D

Which one was most influential? Lemme see... Wanna buy some alpine gear? :freak3:

Disclaimer: soft-boot related, please ignore if not interested.

I made a big leap forward a few seasons ago when I took time to gather information from people who know how to carve (from here and from EC forums) and to try, tweek and translate this knowledge in the softboot context.

The tweeking part is the hard one as not everything works the same with different angles and different tools, but better understanding how a carve works certainly helps a lot. Thanks a lot everyone other here, even if you did not intend to help softbooters make not-so-bad-looking turns, you helped me a lot.

Maybe I'm delluding myself, but I believe in the power of trying to understand what happens and finding your own solution after gathering ideas from different people. So I guess I'll keep lurking here from time to time.

Back to silent mode.