Note to New Members ×

mini-trip: Sugarloaf Sunday

teach

My daughter and I are considering coming to Sugarloaf Sunday Dec 5 (arrive Sat night). We're not at all familiar with New England area so any advice is appreciated: where to stay, how much to expect to pay, where to eat, etc. They quote $69.night per person incl lift tickets...

My daughter and I are considering coming to Sugarloaf Sunday Dec 5 (arrive Sat night). We're not at all familiar with New England area so any advice is appreciated: where to stay, how much to expect to pay, where to eat, etc. They quote $69.night per person incl lift tickets...

I'm not Loaf regular but it's a great mountain. You would have fun. Check on craiglist for some places to stay or www.sugarloaf.com, or www.buywithme.com, what I'm doing for January trip. Its snowing there since yesterday. So you might get some nice fresh snow. Yes, it's far up and not much around so you should have some food with you, dinner you can get near by or at the resort restaurant/bar.

Pic from Thursday morning,

post-8426-141842327129_thumb.jpg

Yes, we need to be back for school Monday. I see Whiteface is open; maybe that would be a little easier to get to. I have never been to any East Coast places other than local to Philly so I have no sense for how crowded it might be, early season conditions, etc. I really want to get the big boards out on an empty, wide, long slope... jonesin' is right!

Sugarloaf will be just about the longest possible drive for you without going to Canada. Have you mapquested it? After you exit 95, it's another 75-90 minutes. I'd suggest Killington. However Sugarloaf would be well worth a real vacation later in the season when it is fully open. Spectacular terrain.

Like John said pretty much everywhere on the East Coast will have fairly dense crowds do to limited trails.

Killington will probably have the most terrain open at this time. Snow quality at Stratton was perfect this weekend, and with cold weather in the forcast all southern VT areas will be blowing snow all week. Plus southern VT will reduce your drive by at least half.

thats atleast a 14 hour drive for you, thats 28 hours round trip, for one day of limited skiing. agreed sugarloaf was amazing, if you look up rentals you can get a house nearby for a couple hundred for a week, but resort lodging plus pass for 69 is pretty good. i would wait a month for the maine trip, you could check on hunter mountain in ny, thats about a 4 hour drive for you, just check if they have trails open yet.

Thanks for all the input. We decided to make that trip later. We got lucky Sunday -- a local spot was open and actually had nice snow. Great to get back on it! I forgot how bad I am the first few times on the snow... I would have felt terrible wasting Sugarloaf, then driving 10 hours!