Note to New Members ×

coming to Boston

caspercarver

Have you had the pleasure of riding out East before?

Sure you don't want short, twisty, icy, tight runs just to get the true New England experience?:D

Stratton has some lovely runs but you should be able to find something that's an easier drive from Boston. Post in the NH/VT/ME forum as that's where you'll end up on the days you're not checking out the Pure Boards at the Thunder Dome.;)

I'll be in Nebraska 'till the 29th. If you want to come out to the Dome on the 30th or 31st, I'd be glad to show you around. If you want to head out before that to check Joerg's boards out, I'll make sure you get set up properly.

Berkshire East is about a 2hr drive from Maynard according to google maps. There's some stuff in southern NH that's about the same that might get you some longer runs at higher elevation.

Check out: http://www.skinh.com/index.cfm

Mt. Wachusset is right next door to you.

Or you could be king of the hill at McIntyre with its whopping 180' of vertical!:D

I'll meet you guys at the BEAST anytime.
the "BEAST" is what resort? I really wanna check out the Pureboarding clinic? demo? I will just have to wait and see what happens weather wise and family stuff. SWOARD is saying maybe delivery before Christmas of my new boards. I hope so.

otherwise I'm on old gear again. But i hear the groomers are pretty soft and forgiving so maybe i will do ok. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

The BEast = Berkshire East = The Thunder Dome = Berserkshire = etc. etc....

Killington has long been known as the "Beast of the East" and is now using "The Beast" in their ad. copy.

Pretty sure Ace was referring to Berkshire though.

The Pure Boarding Test Center is at Berkshire East. Just got word that a size run of the Twos are on their way and Joerg is working on getting a couple of Black Diamonds together. I'll pm you some info about the Pure Boarding program.

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

For a short ride (one hour) from Boston, I'd head to Wachusett Mountain just North of Worcester. It's a favorite of mine since they groom three times a day! You can find fresh corduroy day and night. They also have night riding. My favorite run is 10th Mountain Trail (as in 10th Mountain Division), has some nice drops and turns just watch the mogul section on upper 10th though there's a nice chute to keep clear of the bumps. It's not the biggest or longest in New England, but anyplace that grooms three times a day will make my list.

Gunstock/Ragged are sort of small, but also close and off rt 93.

If heading to NH, I'd recommend Bretton Woods over Gunstock. It's just a little bit farther up RT 93 and has some nice carving runs.

Cannon is right on RT 93 in Franconia Notch... also just a bit farther north than Gunstock. I really like Cannon when the conditions are right. Good variety and challenging terrain.

Btw.... you will definitely find long intermediate cruiser runs at Bretton Woods. Not so much as much at Cannon, but Cannot will have stepper terrain. There is nothing "long" about Wachusett.

skimoose, do you still get to Wachusett? I ride there Monday/Wednesday evenings after work, can can easily be talked into just about any night. Any chance I'll see you there one night?

Yes, I live in CT but my son goes to WPI. So I usually meet him for some night riding once or twice a season. Last season I was there and there were a couple of hard booters. It's nice to find other riders when I'm out. I'll post in this thread the next time I'm headed there.

How's the coverage? I'd like to get off my rock board and try out my new ride.

How's the coverage? I'd like to get off my rock board and try out my new ride.

Yesterday, they had Conifer and Tenth open on one side, and Challenger, Hitchcock, and Ralph's Run on the other. I only rode Conifer and Tenth which had excellent coverage. There are no moguls yet on Tenth, and the mountain was pretty much empty. Just the way I like it! :biggthump