Note to New Members ×

Burton Seven Point Zero Asym

Riceball

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what terminology would you use for a board whose sidecuts are centered, but of differing radii toe/heel ?

factory second. ;)

Seriously though, such boards existed back in the days of shifted asyms, and I don't recall them ever receiving a definitive name. I think the Nitro Pyro was the first.

What you think about the modern asym, not the old ones?

Have you tried one?

A modern asym will surely work better than an old one due to materials and other construction advances. Maybe so much better as to be "good enough" for many people. You can still take a great picture with an old camera. But a shifted sidecut is still a shifted sidecut. I like to go straight across the board. I don't have to try a new asym to know that. I'd try one if it was handed to me, it would be interesting to remember what it was like to ride one.

Hmm, i was thinking definition of asym to be that it rides differently for goofy and regular setup. Or is rideable only one of those :rolleyes:

Well that's true, sure, but in alpine I always saw the word "asym" most associated with boards with that parallelogram shape of shifted sidecuts. As for boards with different sidecut radii on the toeside and heelside, I'd say those are pointless for carvers who are able to tilt the board up equally high on both sides.

I agree with Jack that different radii on a board is pointless, even detrimental for a carver with forward angles.

My nitro 186 diablo in '92, had 11+m toe & 10+m heel, but tip&tail are symmetrical (the same in either direction) and didn't notice much difference because I was not as good of a carver then. So to me asym means shifted sirecut.

Bought my asym alp in '93 and loved it.

Unlike Jack, I like the feel of shifted sidecuts; which for me amounts to having the center of the sidecut between the toes/heels whereas on syms, the center of sidecut feels like it's at the rear toe and front heel. which is more noticeable than a diagonal transition as it matches the position of my feet. It's not about getting thru the gates faster, it's about the feel of the carve.

After I got and fell in love with my Identity 173 carbon in '01(vsr) I talked to the builder, John M. (who designed asym shapes for burton) about a custom asym that would be basically a wide 7.0 asym alp crossed with the Identity carbon with near symm twin powder tips.

He declined due to the cost & hassle of creating a mold for a one off board. Definitely a deterrent for mfg as the different geometries are mind boggling. I have 5 old asyms with offsets anywhere from 9*-16.4* with radii from 8-11. the burtons & sims have larger toe side radii, not sure about the mistral.

I still want a custom like that in a 23x175, one of these years:freak3: with a shift of about 10*.