Note to New Members ×

New Base issues?

BobD

I'm concerned because the only time I have seen something similar is on a board that had one too many base grinds, and the edge flange undulations were visable through the P-tex. These skis are brand new. Has anyone seen this before? Is it possible for the edge flange to be bent during pressing, pushing the P-tex up (which then gets ground off)?

post-340-141842325276_thumb.jpg

post-340-141842325287_thumb.jpg

post-340-141842325301_thumb.jpg

OMG

looks like the base is thin

It was not as pronounced, but as I waxed them several times, it became more obvious. I was careful not to overheat the bases during the waxing. Thin is what I thought, hence the idea that if the the flange had been bent downwards during assembly, and the P-tex raised after pressing, the base would be thin after grinding.

It was not as pronounced, but as I waxed them several times, it became more obvious. I was careful not to overheat the bases during the waxing. Thin is what I thought, hence the idea that if the the flange had been bent downwards during assembly, and the P-tex raised after pressing, the base would be thin after grinding.

I guess with the big companies having skis and board come out with thin bases in certain areas is common and a reason for it not to be first quality.

I've seen some second quality boards that were thin near the tips. so that's not out of the question.

that looks weird though but maybe the shape of the tabs to keep the edge in place are different than I've seen. maybe it's a bonding issue?

just a bad grind?

IDK but I'd be calling the manufacturer either way.