Note to New Members ×

SoCAL ---Looking for BOARD/ BOOTS / BINDINGS --- high intermediate MONDO 28 or 28.5

kinjachris

hello all. i learned to carve 12+ years ago when i spent a season at copper mountian and hung out with some french guys who were into carving. as a surfer, i picked it up fast and was good once upon a far off younger time! ha! i saved my old board and actually took it out twice last year to bear mountian in socal after 12 years off. while fun, the board is ancient. i'm ready to get a modern one. I'm a solid intermediate even with 12 years off so i suspect i will get back to it quickly and be advanced again pretty quick so i'm concerned that the board I get needs to be OK for now but not hold me back once i get back in the grove.

it will get used every other weekend at bear or summit in socal, conditions aren't great and cordoroy isnt abundant. it will make 1 or 2 runs to mammoth if i'm lucky as well.

Not looking for an inexpensive board but think i can do better than buying new. thanks much for sending your ideas. even if you dont have one to sell, if you have an opinion on what i should get (because i can tell that no one has an opinion on this site!!!) please do chime in and share your thoughts.

would prefer boots that allow the binding upgrade to step in bindings.

p.s. to the snow summit ski patrol guy who rode the lift with me last season and told me about this site, thank you!:biggthump

UPDATE----Mondo 28.5 is probably too big. i'm a 9.5 US which should be mondo 28, thanks!

Welcome on Bomber and Welcome Back!

All hard boots currently in production (Deeluxe, Head, UPZ) will take the Intec heels, so step in is not a problem. Some of the very old Raichles, Burtons and Nordicas can not take the Intec heels. Why would you want to run step-ins, if you didn't have any back problems?

As for the board/binding combo, it would be usefull to know your body specs (height, weight) and what type of riding you like doing (carving only, all-mauntain, mix it with jumps and bumps) and what sort of turn (tight, long, EC)...

Hey kinjachris! I'm that patrol guy you met last year. :) Glad to see you found the site. Now you need to follow the ride board and hook-up with the rest of us socal riders. I will be patrolling at Summit again this year, but mostly on Saturdays. Tried to keep my Sundays open for hanging out with my bros.

On the board issue, if you want to step up to titinal, I know that Hopster will be selling his Coiler Pure Race Titinal. He is a rider out of San Diego. Is absolutely meticulous about his boards. I might be selling my Colier All Mountain Titinal soon also. I believe that both of our boards are 179 in length, 20 cm wide, and built for the 180-200 pound rider. Not sure if that firs you, but the Coilers with metal are amazing to ride.

Look forward to seeing you on the hill this year, welcome back! :biggthump

Hi Terri, nice to meet you. for the rest of BOL, Terry was a "riding ambassador" quite literally for me connecting to this site. thanks a bunch. I'm sure we will cross paths this season, we come every other weekend to summit or bear and when we put our two kids in the a.m. classes i get two hours to free ski until we pick them up for lunch.

To your questions:

I'm 5'9", 180 pounds (should be 175). I'm a pretty agressive standard skier, not patrol caliber but actually trying to make my volkl tigersharks carve the way they were intended (I resent being tagged as a "skidder" by BOL because i am new!!!)

Most of the time I'll be at Bear or Summit in SoCal and most of the time that means very hard pack snow although last season was fantastic in SoCal and i'm hoping for a repeat. I have two kids so i normally miss the fresh tracks first thing in the am. Most of the time i'm skiing with the wife and kids so we are on easy blacks, medium blues. I avoid the bumps like the plague as I kinda like my knees and back and wont be boarding off piste, i save that for my big fat 91cm dynastars and save it for good snow up north. I'm likely to bring my board and skis to the hill, board in the am without the kids and switch over to ski with them.

as to the bindings, for those of you who have young kids you know you are in and out of your bindings a lot to go push them, pull them, pick them up, etc. easy is good! actually what prompted me to stop and talk to terri was watching how easy he was getting into his bindings after getting off the lift and thinking wow, i wish i had those bindings a decade ago, that looks cool.

as for price/quality. Frankly i'd rather spend more, buy current technology and just jump in and go for it.

I'm torn on the all mountian versus carving board thing too. i anticipate you will all tell me i'm a prime candidate for an all mountain board. perhaps...? i'm getting it to carve as low as I can and i really dont like standard snowboards at all (see aversion to skidding above) they just dont do it for me. i dont need a slightly better snowboard with hard boots.

i'd classify myself as a soul rider who just wants to lay down easy deep medium radius turns with some fluid style. i do like the trench digger tag, guess i have to work on that both on and offline.

thanks to all of you who pipe in with advice even if you don't have anything to sell, much appreciated.

Hi Kinjachris,

Your journey sounds a lot like mine. I was into a lot of all-mountain hardboot stuff a lifetime ago (up in Tahoe), took a 10 year hiatus and then got back into carving last year after moving to SoCal....largely through this site. Terryw is indeed the on-slope ambassador of carving and he helped me move to the next level with some timely tips and demonstration. Thanks to Terry!

I'm also looking for soul carving on blues. It's the "down-time" that I enjoy most...that and reviewing the arcs in the snow from the lift.

I've been getting ready to list a Madd 170 and some TD3 standards. I went through a number of boards before finding that Madd and I like it the best; I just picked up another one! Let me know if that interests you.

I hope to meet you up at Summit.

Hooray for more carvers in SoCal! I have a Prior ATV 171 that I'm thinking of selling. It's served me well for the last 3 years all over CA and has the battle scars to prove it. It's in bargain condition so if you're interested in taking it for $150 let me know. I live in Santa Monica on the weekdays and we can meet up.

UPDATE----Mondo 28.5 is probably too big. i'm a 9.5 US which should be mondo 28, thanks!

Hi Kinjachris, welcome to the dark side! Just a comment on boot sizing for you: a mondo 28 is probably too big. I wear a 10.5 shoe, or 11 in Nikes (Nike lasts seem to be a bit small), and I ride a 27.0 boot, which fits me perfectly.

I can't find the article on boot sizing right now, but here's the quick version: take off your shoes and socks and stand on a sheet of paper. Trace around the outside of your foot (or even better, get someone else to do it -- if you bend down to trace your foot, it can be hard to keep your foot flat). Then, measure the greatest length on the drawing (i.e., center of heel to tip of big toe). That measurement in centimeters is your mondo size. If you're in between (i.e., I'm 27.3 cm), round down to the nearest half-centimeter.

Like most of us, you probably don't have the opportunity to try on a range of snowboard hard boot sizes anywhere near you -- it could be helpful to go to a ski shop and try on some boots there just to get an idea of your mondo sizing. No guarantees that a snowboard boot company will use the exact same last sizes as whatever ski boots you try on, but it could at least help you get closer.

Welcome! I have met great people here and over at Summit but had to get my pass at Mt High for logistical reasons. Hope you make it to Wrightwood and I plan to do at least one Sunday with the group at Summit. Don't forget June in March where we will all :biggthumptry to get together and lay some rail!