Cheap Palmer skis

BobD

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did your wife get out on the 155s last season?

Yes. She likes them, but the skis aren't the best match for her style, or maybe it would be better to put it the other way around. I think she will grow to love them with practice. She is a strong skier, but her technique has remnants of old-school slalom hockey-stop style left over from straight skis. When I met her ('95) she was on 185s. Her last pair of skis were men's 152 Volkl 5-star Supersports, but the Palmers are way more centered and also more damp. I think she likes a more lively ski. I have always gently encouraged more carve and roll, and less jump and push in her turns, but now she knows she has to make a more sincere effort to try to adjust her technique in order to get the most out of these skis.

786215286_ThSJD-L.jpg

Ski reviewers mentioned having to adjust their technique, because the palmers don't like being muscled like a traditional race ski. I found I was able to use a softer flexing ski boot, than I had been using. They certainly require a lot less effort to carve the same turns, as with my previous skis.

Thanks BobD and wvrocks. I took advantage of the deal and bought a pair of the white 163s.

Anyone know any cheap bindings that will fit the plate?

I have used the Tyrolia SL110 and sp120 bindings. The Sp120 is a demo binding, but is very solid. I didn't notice any real difference between the two.

They both have about a 30mm stand height, which helps with boot out.

Levelnine Sports is the cheapest place to buy them.

BTW, I have a pair of Fischer "need to check on the model but I think they are FS11" bindings, new in the box that should fit

the hole pattern on the P02 plate. I'll check to make sure. If anyone is interested I'll sell them for $60 shipped.

Thanks for the code. I ordered another pair, and will return the first pair. Even with the return shipping, I'll have saved $40 plus the gift card.

I'm tempted by your nice offer on the bindings, but the FS11 bindings only have a 21mm stand height. Every mm is precious if you want to crank these over all the way. That's my only reservation about these Palmers, is that an extra 7mm on the waist would have helped a lot with boot out, without making the transitions clumsy.

I have used the Tyrolia SL110 and sp120 bindings. The Sp120 is a demo binding, but is very solid. I didn't notice any real difference between the two.

They both have about a 30mm stand height, which helps with boot out.

Levelnine Sports is the cheapest place to buy them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Levelnine doesn't have either of those bindings in stock. I was thinking of this ski:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Free-Flex-Plus-11-Ski-Bindings-Flash-Red-10000

Does the Speed Plate take the Railflex bindings as well?

I have read in a few different places that the railflex bindings won't work on the plate without redrilling, and then the rail would prevent the plate halves from sliding.The SP90 has a 31mm stand height and looks solid (unless you are a 8+ din skier). I might end up going with that if no other 31mm stand height bindings turn up soon. Otherwise ski depot have the SP120 for $120.

I have read in a few different places that the railflex bindings won't work on the plate without redrilling, and then the rail would prevent the plate halves from sliding.The SP90 has a 31mm stand height and looks solid (unless you are a 8+ din skier). I might end up going with that if no other 31mm stand height bindings turn up soon. Otherwise ski depot have the SP120 for $120.

Thanks for the reply.

The link I posted was for a FreeFlex 11 which I believe works with the speed plate hole pattern. I like the idea of having the heel float with the toe piece. It's kind of like the plates for our snowboards that everyone is raving about.

I'm a DIN 6 so the SP90 might work too.

Skis arrived today. They look awesome...and short. Shortest pair of skis I've ever owned.

Thanks again to BobD and wvrocks for the link and the coupon. Sierra sent me a $40 e-gift card as well. If anyone is going to buy anything from Sierra you are welcome to my gift card. It expires December 22nd.