Note to New Members ×

Just great.

LeeW

For what it is worth, I was there during the last major La Nina a decade ago. I went out to Mt Baker, and that was the year all records in 60 years were broken. It was insane. I've never experienced that massive snowfall again ever since then. This year, my lady, my neighbor, and I are intenting to spent a week out at Mt Baker in Feburary. I just hope it won't be too much snow that the entire mountain was closed (that happened once a decade ago -- the debris were the size of the bus -IN- bounds!).

That's funny, I moved to Colorado that winter and hit rocks until January. For what it's worth, I would seriously consider going to Crystal over Baker, way more terrain and hotels at the base.:lol:

I've been to both places, for I was a Seattle resident for 3 years and Mt Hood resident for 3 years. I got a much higher preference of Mt Baker over Crystal, anytime. I simply dislike the ski lift layout pattern out at Crystal. Plus Mt Baker is -THE- Mecca, seriously.

1. Mt Baker

2. Stevens Pass

3. Snoqualamie

4. Crystal

(I've not been to the rest of other ski resorts, like Spokane's 49 degree north, Wenatachee's Mission Ridge, Yakima's something, etc).

As for Oregon, it'd be:

1. Mt Hood Meadows

2. Timberilne

3. Ski Bowl

For what it is worth, I was there during the last major La Nina a decade ago. I went out to Mt Baker, and that was the year all records in 60 years were broken. It was insane. I've never experienced that massive snowfall again ever since then. This year, my lady, my neighbor, and I are intenting to spent a week out at Mt Baker in Feburary. I just hope it won't be too much snow that the entire mountain was closed (that happened once a decade ago -- the debris were the size of the bus -IN- bounds!).

Yeah, 98/99. I was living in Everett working for BF Goodrich Aerospace at the time. Remeber fondly being trapped a couple of times up at Stevens when the road slid over. Usually didn't happen until closing time at night, bar would fill up and start serving boilmakers until the road reopened. I have NEVER seen that much snow in my life. Driving to Baker was an insane trip though snow piled so incredibly high it was almost scary and certainly surreal. I believe it was a 1140+ inch{93ft} year for Baker. And correct you are Lee, Baker is the MECCA. Awsome place to ride.

Think Snow!

I've been to both places, for I was a Seattle resident for 3 years and Mt Hood resident for 3 years. I got a much higher preference of Mt Baker over Crystal, anytime. I simply dislike the ski lift layout pattern out at Crystal. Plus Mt Baker is -THE- Mecca, seriously.

1. Mt Baker

2. Stevens Pass

3. Snoqualamie

4. Crystal

(I've not been to the rest of other ski resorts, like Spokane's 49 degree north, Wenatachee's Mission Ridge, Yakima's something, etc).

As for Oregon, it'd be:

1. Mt Hood Meadows

2. Timberilne

3. Ski Bowl

Dude, Baker is flat. I spent 6 years year round at Crystal. Since you and I were both there, Add a Base to summit Gondola/6 man high speed/ etc...etc... 4 new lifts in 6 years chief! In the 6 winters I spent there. I never got every run and I had several 50,000+ vertical days there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeW

1. Mt Baker

2. Stevens Pass

3. Snoqualamie

4. Crystal

As for Oregon, it'd be:

1. Mt Hood Meadows

2. Timberilne

3. Ski Bowl

You would rate Timberline over Mt. Bachelor and Snoqualmie Pass over Crystal? I guess some people do prefer light beer and decaffeinated coffee. Freedom of choice, the American way.

Mt Baker is the place to go for terrain/pow. When you can go to the top chair and go walk 20 ft to the outta bounds, well, what can I say!! Crystal is somewhat better for carving, but Stevens is a good all-round mix for a bit less $$. And I too was at Baker during the big snow year...when they had to run the cats and plow UNDER the chairs so they could run! Snow at eye level sitting in a chair is surreal!

Mt Baker is the place to go for terrain/pow. When you can go to the top chair and go walk 20 ft to the outta bounds, well, what can I say!! Crystal is somewhat better for carving, but Stevens is a good all-round mix for a bit less $$. And I too was at Baker during the big snow year...when they had to run the cats and plow UNDER the chairs so they could run! Snow at eye level sitting in a chair is surreal!

Baker you need 20 feet + a buddy + yourself and at least 2 avy beacons. Crystal is all inbounds backcountry. I am pleased you think Baker is the best choice, less people at Crystal!:biggthump

Yeah, 98/99. I believe it was a 1140+ inch{93ft} year for Baker. And correct you are Lee, Baker is the MECCA. Awsome place to ride.

Yep, 1200 is the round off I had ingrained in my head for a decade.

Dude, Baker is flat. I spent 6 years year round at Crystal. Since you and I were both there, Add a Base to summit Gondola/6 man high speed/ etc...etc... 4 new lifts in 6 years chief! In the 6 winters I spent there. I never got every run and I had several 50,000+ vertical days there...

Well, since I had the hook-ups with my old factory place (Lib Tech), it isn't flat where I went to. -smirk- So it helps to have the bros to show you the ropes.

You would rate Timberline over Mt. Bachelor and Snoqualmie Pass over Crystal? I guess some people do prefer light beer and decaffeinated coffee. Freedom of choice, the American way.

Can't help it there when I was an employee at T-Line as well as having access to summer snowboard camps all summer long. And by the way, the Oregon list and Washington list are two separated list. If I had to choose one out of entire list of Oregon and Washington list I posted, I'd pick Mt Baker hands down.

Baker you need 20 feet + a buddy + yourself and at least 2 avy beacons. Crystal is all inbounds backcountry. I am pleased you think Baker is the best choice, less people at Crystal!:biggthump

That may be true, but I reiterate what I said earlier, it's the ski lift configuration out at Crystal which I did not like at all. Otherwise, it was a fun mountain the only time I went to Crystal.

-------------------------

Now that my responses are done, I hate to break the news to you guys. I have not been riding alpine board in a very long time (I'd guess 3 or 4 years). I've been skiing exclusively, and yes, skiing on freeriding/freestyle skis with UPZ hard boots. :) So I still have a strong rooting for the alpine snowboarders, too. :) And yes, I do carve real hard on my skis. They're fun, tho it can be scary when you're hauling serious ass. :biggthump

And yes, I admit alpine carving is really worthless out in Mt Baker. If I had to pick one place of the entire PNW for exclusive alpine carving, I'd pick Crystal. Got a couple of buddies out there who tells me it's real sick for carving.