Note to New Members ×

A dare....

Alaskan Rover

Justin already said some of this stuff, but I can't let him have ALL the fun..

Quoted by KingCrimson:

"You're not into longboarding, you're making a silly toy. What is "expensive" is dictated by the market. I'm sure the average expenditure on a set of trucks is less than this."

I beg to differ, KingCrimson. First, I never stated I WAS into longboarding,

Yet you're justifying $75 dollar trucks because apparently, people who are into longboarding pay that amount for trucks

although my general skateboarding style had ALWAYS been more of a california road-surfing style...I found that out with the first time I 'trespassed' in a parking garage as a kid, when my other friends always went to the skatepark. Just that true wide-truck LONGboards weren't around back then, excedpt maybe in various places like santa Cruz, so we made due with what we had and bought the longest decks we could find and put the widest trucks on them we could find. Not quite a TRUE longboard with cut-outs or pointed ends, but they were workable.

Those are some cool beans, but quite honestly, I don't care if you've been making crap "workable" for that long. If anything, it demonstrates that you're not interested in the equipment, which is just fine by me. However, you shouldn't be debating with people who ARE interested in and knowledgeable about equipment.

As far as "expensiveness", I believe market dictates PRICE. Whether that price is 'expensive' or not is dictated solely by the buyer's individual state of finance at the time of sale. If you're flush, it may be 'inexpensive'...if you're broke at the time, it may be deemed 'too expensive'....I'm somewhere in the middle, but have seen both ends.

Yes, the market dictates the price. Believe it or not, price is intimiately involved in how "expensive" an item is. If something is above the average market price for similar items, is it not "expensive"?

These are exceptionally pointless semantics.

How does one determine what is "silly" and what is "serious"? Who are you to judge one from the other? I often dally in what other's can consider "silly", while at the time, I am doing it, I am quite serious about it.

You got "dared" to turn a snowboard into a longboard. Do you get all giggly and play spin the bottle with these same friends?

Some (not me) may consider it 'silly' to take chairlifts up a mountain just to come back down again to the same exact point...and spend $77 for the priviledge of doing such...and do it REPEATEDLY. "Sillyness" then, is in the eye of the beholder and not the beholden.

That's beheld, not beholden. Good little malapropism there, but I guess I'm just being silly.

Well....it's 8 am on a beautiful blue-sky morning...I'm going to be SILLY now....I'm glad I can be.

Seriously, I'm not this big of a dick in real life, nor am I very good at playing one on TV..But it's rather ridiculous to ask for tips and advice, and then argue with the people granting your wish, don't you think?

You also discredit everyone by saying "I've taken that into account already" instead of just holding your tongue. I'm only 16 but I've done a dispropotionate amount of yapping, so I've had a lot of trial and error when it comes to getting people with a lot of knowledge to help me. I haven't necessarily learned much, but shutting up and listening to EVERYTHING is a big key to getting information.

I can't speak for myself because I actually know very little about what's current in longboarding. I don't really care about it that much. However, I'm sure the serious longboarders will be more than happy to help you if you adjust your attitude.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also discredit everyone by saying "I've taken that into account already" instead of just holding your tongue. I'm only 16 but I've done a dispropotionate amount of yapping, so I've had a lot of trial and error when it comes to getting people with a lot of knowledge to help me. I haven't necessarily learned much, but shutting up and listening to EVERYTHING is a big key to getting information.

:biggthump:biggthump You've gotten quite smart since joining BOL, especially for a 16 year old (better than a lot "adults")

I can't speak for myself because I actually know very little about what's current in longboarding. I don't really care about it that much. However, I'm sure the serious longboarders will be more than happy to help you if you adjust your attitude.

Ehhh, too late for that. I don't think I've said a single thing in response to this guy in numerous threads, but I've done more than enough reading (and can understand the "temp ban" :lol:). This :lurk: is about as far as I go - truly entertaining but not worth offer any help or advice to since it'll just be ignored (since he's already thought of that). Also not worth arguing with either.

This thread is bad enough. All the other forum areas have been crapped on, not this one too. This is the one forum where for the most part it's been strictly business. This is just complete retardedness.

Please take pictures of yourself after the hill bomb :eplus2:

To KingCrimson; Justin A and Bullwings:

I begin a thread explaining a dare that I accepted, either stupidly or not, and asking for advice. I immediately got some GREAT advice from Carvingchef and BlueB (who ARE into longboarding), advice that I am incredibly thankful for. Their advice, especially Carvingchef's, will allow me to take what may have been a bad idea and make it into something workable. Thanks to them, I will now have a 1" thick plywood subboard under the snowboard that will stiffen the board and allow the trucks to be spaced MUCh farther apart than I was previosly thinking (just before the upturn of both tips), and one that will have cut-outs in this sub-board for wheel clearance. It will still be a wide board, but will now be ridable, thanks to the axle-extensions AND full-length plywood sub-board. I asked for advice, got it and will be putting the advice to good use. That is the ESSENCE of a forum.

What is NOT the essence of a forum is to belittle one's post strictly for the sake of belittlement...there is NOTHING positive about that. Putting words and actions in my mouth is also not beneficial to a forum. Where did I say "I've taken that into account, already."? What advice am I ignoring? You, in fact, 'discredit everyone' by belittling a post and making false accusations just to be combative. Why not review your OWN comments in this thread, and juxtapose those with rules of common decency? Why not tone down your rhetoric a little, if it doesn't add to the discussion (especially if it's decided specious)?

I also don't understand the logic of making a long-drawn out discussion about a $25 difference in truck-set prices. Those are extra-wide trucks...of course they'll be a little more expensive. It's a price I am willing, albeit begrudgingly, to pay to get something that works well. Why not leave it at that? $25 is the price of two x-large pizza deliveries. It certainly isn't worthy of extended discussion.

Posting just for the sake of being argumentative or belittling just lowers the quality of a board. If you don't have any positive advice, why not just walk away and don't say anything? The forum would be more peaceful that way.

I've gotten the advice I was seeking...and like i said, thanks to the experience of some positive posters, it good enough advice to turn a possible bad idea into something that looks to be now workable, with no lasting injury to my board (and hopefully none to myself, also :) ). These were the facets of the very premise itself, so why not just leave it at that?

I accepted the dare, because I liked the challenge of taking a winter board and making it work as a summer board, and then prepping it for work as a winter board again. It's just an idea I liked. I don't need comments disparaging my snowboard or myself...those are not the ingredients of a good forum, and it just makes the writer of those comments seem arrogant.

As to Bullwings comments and other comments by KC and Justin A, I will be a gentleman and ignore them. Why some people feel a need to disparage others they have never met, I cannot fathom. If you have nothing constructive to add to a discussion, why chime in?

So, in short: Lay off.

Wow Rover, that did not take long. :freak3:

Why do you blame other people for your conflicts on BOL? Seems like the rest of us do just fine.

Do you have some constructive advice on how to turn a winter board into a usable summer board and back again, Buell, or do you plan to sabotage this thread to your own end as you did that other thread? If that is your plan, you will not find me engaging in that regard. Your activities in that last thread and your own subsequent thread were most ungentlemanly, and it would be a long time before I'd forgive you for that breach, and here you are trying to start it up again. You obviously did not even read my last post. See above, please. Argue amongst yourselves if you must, I will simply delete the thread if it devolves to partisan bicker, but I will not engage. Nor will I engage any other attempts at sabotage or subterfuge. That is all. End of this discussion on my part, unless it pertains to the actual advice sought for in this thread. Have a good day.

Your activities in that last thread and your own subsequent thread were most ungentlemanly, and it would be a long time before I'd forgive you for that breach...

Funny, I am not so keen to forgive you for this quote from TGR, so I guess we are even:

I wonder if most of the guys here know your really a phucking "hardboot" boarder that doesn't know if he is a snowboarder or a freaking skier. Talk about a wannabe...

Talk about ungentlemanly. Your persona has cracks.

Funny, I am not so keen to forgive you for this quote from TGR, so I guess we are even:

Talk about ungentlemanly. Your persona has cracks.

That is exactly what I thought. you attempt to sabotage yet this thread with your illogically used quote from a totally separate website. A website, as anybody knows, that has wholly different standards of conduct or verbage. In fact, your very usage of that quote, whether it was made by me or not, breaks the profanity clause in the BOL's own guidelines. It can be shown that even implied profanity is de facto profanity. Such language, either implied or otherwise does not belong here. Your twice usage of such in quotation or otherwise breaks BOLs profanity rules. TGR, as you know, has NO such profanity rules.

Also, has it ever occured to you, that YOU may have garnered your OWN private meaningt from said quote? Also do you know what "sarcasm" is??

I was for years and YEARS SOLELY a skier. That remark was meant as sarcasm. As you know, TGR is FULL of sarcasm, amongst other ingredients. Do you think I would disparage my OWN skiing and ski racing heritage by saying such TRUTHFULLY? That you took such offense to being equated to a skier, just shows what YOU think of skiers. Skiing is my heritage, I am not a skier anymore, but I do respect my own heritage.

Why don't you stop putting intentions in other people's posts, ESPECIALLY when said posts were made IN SARCASM? What your doing here is simply another attempt at sabotage. Do you often degrade yourself to that degree?

Do I dredge up whatever idiotic comments YOU make on TGR and paste them to this board like a spiteful 5 year old? NO. Do I follow YOU around from thread to thread, posting provocateuring statements solely for the sake of beating a long-dead horse? Most emphatically NOT. Why do you?

You are apparently FAR younger than I had previously thought. Your immaturity bespeaks your age, sir. You obviously have nothing positive or constructive to add to this post. If you insist on infantilism, please spare the others who may be reading, and Private Message, or email me. That is, in fact, exactly what Fin suggests in his Guidelines. This post is the last from me on this subject. If you consider it even, Fine.

I have nothing more to say to you and this is the last from me on this subject, but if you have the need to continue, PLEASE follow the guidelines and do so via email. That is all, I ask.

I know TGR quite well.

Your post had nothing to do with sarcasm. You meant to diminish Carvedog in the eyes of other TGR members by letting them know he was a hardbooter. You thought it would gain you points on TGR. That is all it was.

That is :barf:

I know TGR quite well.

Your post had nothing to do with sarcasm. You meant to diminish Carvedog in the eyes of other TGR members by letting them know he was a hardbooter. You thought it would gain you points on TGR. That is all it was.

That's only YOUR perceived notion. You know as well, as I do, that TGR is mostly skiers...either AT or downhill or freestyle. They could CARE LESS if he was a harbooter. A lot of folks on TGR wouldn't even KNOW what a hardbooter is.

The said quote was made in the sarcastic mode that is familiar on TGR....(except in 'Politcal Asshattery', where it is quite a bit more low key). Who are you to derive a commentor's reasoning for a post? Do you have some psychic ability beyond the norm to do so? Sarcastic jesting... verbal jousting, if you will, is what that post was about. You made a mistake in presuming otherwise. You must have been riduculed in the past as a hardbooter to have developed such thin skin in that regard.

I am not presently a hardbooter, but that in no way makes whatever remarks I had said in a totally different website anything more than as I stated above...verbal jousting.

In fact, I intend to jump on Fin's new "Softboot Plates" as soon as they are out of proto-type stage. That will allow me to start messing with cant and lift, and seeing how they might improve my present carving and possibly general snowboarding. Carvingchef has been giving these new plates glowing remarks. Who knows?...I may even find myself one day in a pair of hardboots IF they are as comfortable as others purport, regardless of what I said in my first thread. People are allowed to change their minds. If I find a supremely comfortable pair, or better yet, some sort of softboot/hardboot HYBRID, I may just do that. But I want to try those new "SoftPlates" first. That is principally why I am here, stuff like that...and also things like Donek Incline boards. I realize there may have been "softboot knuckledraggers" that came over here in the past, to do nothing but poke fun at hardbooters. I can readily feel that the resentment caused by those people in this room is palpable, but please note: not all "softies" are like that. Icluding myself.

Harsh words were spoken during the famous hardboot/softboot poll debate on both sides. Lets not turn every thread into such a debate. That would be a debasement of the very values that forums are predicated upon.

Now, can we just drop it? You already said, "Even". That's fine with me.

It's too nice of a day to be typing when I could be sailing.

Fin's Rules: #9. This is a private web community. You are a member here because you offer something of particular value to the hardboot community. Please, please make an effort to keep these forums an enjoyable experience for each and every member, regardless of their age, gender, race, or apparent technical prowess.

Does this mean the rules don't apply to rover?

Sun_Princess_Cruise_Ship.jpg

Fin's Rules: #9. This is a private web community. You are a member here because you offer something of particular value to the hardboot community. Please, please make an effort to keep these forums an enjoyable experience for each and every member, regardless of their age, gender, race, or apparent technical prowess.

Does this mean the rules don't apply to rover?

Rule #9 certainly hasn't seemed to have applied to you or Buell in ANY way, thus far. Your continuing to post in the manner you have been posting is largely emblematic of that. You apparently don't even read the last post in the thread you are replying to. Do me a favor and read it, as evidently you HAVEN'T. Do you take pride in provocateuring? Why do you do it? You are being provocative and childish. I don't see the point, especially when I asked both of you to simply drop it...I'm done, and yet you merely continue. In doing so, you are breaking rule #9. So for the good of peace, why not just drop it? How many times do I have to ask?

I'm not so sure. I think the trucks are a very integral part to a longboard. As Carvingchef found out, you can make your own boards...but trucks are something not to mess with. I think for people who are into longboarding, $75 for the right set of trucks is not too bad.

I don't think long-boarding is any more of a "goof-off" than snowboarding or surfing or biking...and people spends sometimes thousands on snowboarding equipment, bicycles and surfing trips. In a way, longboarding is quite an inexpensive sport, considering the "mountain" is usually free.

BTW: Which singer penned the lyrics for your signature quote?...I sorta like it. I didn't know there were too many 'rappin' theoretical physicists out there!!

if you had something to compare them to I guess, in this case I have originals and randals, randals are generally the better truck for most things and for what you wanna do probably safer too. originals are not a stable truck by any means

To KingCrimson; Justin A and Bullwings:

......in short: Lay off.

Rover, as I asked in my first post on this thread, why do you blame other people for your conflicts on BOL?

You talk about rule #9 not applying to some of us, but in the above quote, you are already calling out 3 regular members for harassing you by the end of the first page of your thread. Another regular member had posted about putting you on ignore. It is pretty clear who is violating that rule.

This comes so shortly after the thrashing you got from numerous regular members when you received your temporary ban.

You are really convinced that it is all of us?

Rule #9 certainly hasn't seemed to have applied to you or Buell in ANY way, thus far. Your continuing to post in the manner you have been posting is largely emblematic of that. You apparently don't even read the last post in the thread you are replying to. Do me a favor and read it, as evidently you HAVEN'T. Do you take pride in provocateuring? Why do you do it? You are being provocative and childish. I don't see the point, especially when I asked both of you to simply drop it...I'm done, and yet you merely continue. In doing so, you are breaking rule #9. So for the good of peace, why not just drop it? How many times do I have to ask?

You seem to have skipped over it as well. Cute.

Afterthought, it seems like you act extremely entitled for someone claiming to be so one with nature.

if you had something to compare them to I guess, in this case I have originals and randals, randals are generally the better truck for most things and for what you wanna do probably safer too. originals are not a stable truck by any means

I went through a period a long time ago, where I went through a lot of different trucks...trying to find one that didn't have too stiff an action and yet not too rubbery, either. After a lot of trial and error, I finally found a set that was just right. I was into making my own decks back then, I bought most decks, but if you wanred a longer one back then you were "SOOL", so we'd get the jig saw out...that all started in H.S. shop class. I had an uncle that made that Ikea-type Scandinavian furniture, so I had lots of super HIGH Grade laminates to work with...perfect for skate decks. Later on, I got the surfing bug bad...and during that time I made my last skate deck...a deck shaped like a tri-fin gun. The trucks I was talking about went on that board. I truly loved that board.

I sold that "gun deck" when I need fast cash in grad school. Hadn't used it in years. I wish I would have kept those sweet trucks off of it though, as with some axle extensions, they would be perfect for this slightly insane project. Oh well.

I've seen the website for Randal Truck Company...their 205mm looks pretty tight, but I'd still need axle extensions, unfortunately. Too bad they don't make 250mms...but I can get those at "Daddies Board shop".

Rover, an honest answer for you, because I honestly feel bad that you seem to not understand this.. You should never change trucks because of the "action" as you describe it.

This is all controlled with the bushings. Get trucks that have the theoretical turn radius/stability compromise you want and then adjust the feel with the kingpin and bushings. Randals probably have this as they are generally a very agreeable truck.

... Argue amongst yourselves if you must, I will simply delete the thread if it devolves to partisan bicker, but I will not engage...

Fail... You have been engaging. Yes, please, do the longboarding forum a favor and delete the thread.

Until you came along, this section of BOL was strictly business.

As for your gentlemanly like conduct BS you're trying to pull off - FAIL also. There's a reason you've been banned (unfortunately only temporarily) and none of us have.

As for reading your posts, I have - it's a bunch of convoluted semantics full of babel and jargon that makes it sound like a thesaurus threw up in your posts. It isn't winning any points, nor does it make you look better or strengthen any of your arguments.

On topic:

As for what you're been describing, name a few trucks you've tried and your favorite trucks of the past (you'd be surprised, they might still be around). Also, this stiffness and rubbery feeling in the action isn't the truck - it's the bushings. For all of your experience, it doesn't sound like you know much about how a truck even works.

I went through a period a long time ago, where I went through a lot of different trucks...trying to find one that didn't have too stiff an action and yet not too rubbery, either. After a lot of trial and error, I finally found a set that was just right. I was into making my own decks back then, I bought most decks, but if you wanred a longer one back then you were "SOOL", so we'd get the jig saw out...that all started in H.S. shop class. I had an uncle that made that Ikea-type Scandinavian furniture, so I had lots of super HIGH Grade laminates to work with...perfect for skate decks. Later on, I got the surfing bug bad...and during that time I made my last skate deck...a deck shaped like a tri-fin gun. The trucks I was talking about went on that board. I truly loved that board.

I sold that "gun deck" when I need fast cash in grad school. Hadn't used it in years. I wish I would have kept those sweet trucks off of it though, as with some axle extensions, they would be perfect for this slightly insane project. Oh well.

I've seen the website for Randal Truck Company...their 205mm looks pretty tight, but I'd still need axle extensions, unfortunately. Too bad they don't make 250mms...but I can get those at "Daddies Board shop".

steal the trucks off of a freeboard, take the castors off and go. the truck is over 300mm, could even leave the castors on and use your snowboard bindings and boots for the ultimate thrill and injury

steal the trucks off of a freeboard, take the castors off and go. the truck is over 300mm

This is the best advice that came up in this tread! They often come up used under $100. You'd get your super wide trucks AND the wheels. Plus, you'll have the freeboard deck to use with some other, smaller trucks, as a mini longboard, if wanted.

steal the trucks off of a freeboard, take the castors off and go. the truck is over 300mm, could even leave the castors on and use your snowboard bindings and boots for the ultimate thrill and injury

Freeboard?

quiero un explanation.