Note to New Members ×

Things for a tourist to see in Chicago?

Corey

I'm likely going to Chicago for a few days with work. Any suggestions for things a car guy/technology geek must try to see? I'll be in the Cicero/Near South Side area and will have a car.

Depending on how the project goes I'll be working anywhere from 9-20 hours/day, and it can change at a moment's notice. My plans have to be very flexible. I'm open to any suggestions at all!

I'd love to meet up with some local BOL'ers but my plans are much too uncertain to set up a meeting.

Besides the things which are mentioned in this and the other thread:

- Try to get cheap tickets for a show e.g. Blue Man Group at Ticketmaster (when I was in Chicago last August, I got cheap tickets)

- Museum Campus where the Shed Aquarium is, is also the Field Museum which is nice too.

-Hang out in Millenium Park, there you can find the "chrome jelly bean", in the summer time there are free concerts and a open air cinema one a week or so and before take a drink at the chill out bar at the north-west end of the park, right at the "jelly bean"

- Take a tour with the tourist hop on and off busses. I usually don't like them, but there I heard a lot of things about the history of the city and about the buildings

Have fun!

Plenty of good info on the other thread and here... Most things have been mentioned already... Having a car is a major plus... Just keep in mind that if you go towards Downtown Chicago, parking is gonna cost you...

It sounds like you are looking for more "after hours" type things, no? As mentioned elsewhere, I would suggest hitting up the Loop and Downtown... Michigan Ave. is fun to just wonder around and people watch... Lots of historical sites and plenty of odds and ends to keep you busy... It's pretty cool to poke your head into alot of the shops down there as well... You can see all the trendy fashions, technology, etc...

If you have a morning or evening open, and the weather is nice, take a stroll along the Lake Michigan Shoreline... There are tons of access points... Northerly Island would be a good place to start (free parking to boot!)... I do a ton of fishing down there, and it's another great place to just go and people watch... You also have great views of the Downtown architecture... It's a great place to just get away and relax...

When are you looking to come to Chicago? Feel free to e-mail me through Bomber if you need help with any specific info or whatever... Lived in Chicago my whole life, and am more than happy to help someone experience the city :)